Matching Odometer on New Gauge to Factory Gauge

I'm looking to purchase a D9 bracket very soon and new mini speedometer and tachometer.

When replacing my speedometer, is it possible to advance the odometer to match the approximately 8200 miles that are on my stock one?

D9

Vendor
C78 - no easy way to do it - if you're concerned about documenting the mileage, take good photos of the stock dash setup clearly showing the mileage, create a mileage statement along with the pics, have it dated and notarized - whether or not you keep the stock speedo, if you ever sell the bike you'll have that to refer to... you can externally advance the odo with some mechanical creativity, imo seems like
unecessary wear & tear on a new instrument, here's how one guy did it, see pics 9 & 10

http://www.triumphrat.net/blogs/twi...mini-speedometer-and-desert-bars-retrofit-57/

Last edited:

Bullitt

Two Stroke
C78 - no easy way to do it - if you're concerned about documenting the mileage, take good photos of the stock dash setup clearly showing the mileage, create a mileage statement along with the pics, have it dated and notarized - whether or not you keep the stock speedo, if you ever sell the bike you'll have that to refer to... you can externally advance the odo with some mechanical creativity, imo seems like
unecessary wear & tear on a new instrument, here's how one guy did it, see pics 9 & 10

http://www.triumphrat.net/blogs/twi...mini-speedometer-and-desert-bars-retrofit-57/

Would you say the majority of people that replace gauges use your method above (ie - they do not try to get gauges to match existing mileage)?

D9

Vendor
Bullitt... don't really know... if I had to guess, I'd think the vast majority of folks
don't bother with either setting the new speedo to match mileage or setting up documentation...
makes you wonder, as there's so many new and used speedos for sale on fleabay. The documentation effort I
mentioned... just a suggestion... if you're an honest person, you might want that documentation or something like it if you were
buying or selling a used bike... but if the owner still has the original speedo, then
probably not necessary... probably better ways to handle it as well. I still maintain
that running a new speedo up to match seems like unnecessary wear & tear, depending on the mileage of course...

Flaco

750cc
Late post... You can have the previous mileage from the original speedo documented at the DMV, the original (current) mileage will be noted on your title plus the zero mileage from your new speedo...
Least you can in AZ...
That way your honest in resale...
But wait! Who sells their Bonnie anyway!?

I would think you would want to do this regardless if you advance the new speedo or not. If I was looking to buy a used bonnie, I would know the that the speedo was not OEM therefore still questioning the actual milage. I say document the milage on the OEM speedo and save yourself the time of advancing the after market unit. But that's just me. :D

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
+1 to what the others are saying...document the mileage in the legal just in case the day comes you need/want to get rid of the Bonnie and get what you want...enjoy the bike

D9

Vendor
Late post... You can have the previous mileage from the original speedo documented at the DMV, the original (current) mileage will be noted on your title plus the zero mileage from your new speedo...
Least you can in AZ...
That way your honest in resale...
But wait! Who sells their Bonnie anyway!?

Flaco - the DMV sounds like a good way to go... wonder if documenting
that way works similarly in most states...

I want to do it since I'm the original owner and those miles, which are racking up very quickly, are like a badge of honor for my bike. 600 miles a week!

schuitz

moped
I engaged in the absurdity of rolling mine *backwards* down to 82,000kms to match my old one.

Ridiculous? You bet. It took a long time.

I did the minimum diligence of photographing both clusters on the day of install along with a current newspaper. All photoshoppable of course, but jiggering the metadata and all that would speak to a pretty advanced level of deception. I would like to think that my immaculate maintenance record keeping and receipts would speak to my honesty and character with any future buyer.

Plus, in this case I clearly have nothing to gain for future value by rolling it up so high.

IMO if you take the trouble to get your photos notarized, at least you are going that one extra step to show you took the time to make everything legit, despite the fact that the photos are still easily altered.

As documented elsewhere, you can roll it with a small DC motor from any surplus store, a chunk of lumber, a couple of hose clamps, and a small square screwdriver bit. A variable DC power supply helps, or else you are going to slam your gauge at 220kph or more.

have fun