Manufacturing changes in oil filters?

On the other forum which shall not be mentioned, several individuals have discovered serious leaking from new oil filter installations, using well-known brands such as Purolator.

It seems that the baseplates of these filters now have a convex orientation as one views the bottom (the center projects out rather than into the filter housing), and they somehow do not seat well enough on this motor to seal properly. They previously had a concave, inset orientation

I examined some oil filters at Pep Boys today. The Mobil-1 (M1-108), Royal Purple, and K&N (all automotive) filters all have a concave base and presumably should fit. They also look so similar to each other inside and out that they must come from the same manufacturer. They're in the $13-$15 price range.

All flavors of the Purolator 14612 now have a convex base, and one of the complaints of leakage was with a Purolator.

Purolator-Mobil1_zpsmacujqms.jpg

Last edited:

rodhotter

Scooter
wix user here, 51358 for the short one so flat jack works, 51356 is longer, no issues @ $7. just ordered some mahle filters OC575, read lots of good about them, $6 ea + $5 handling @ jegs, ordered 5 still $5 handling

wix user here, 51358 for the short one so flat jack works, 51356 is longer, no issues @ $7. just ordered some mahle filters OC575, read lots of good about them, $6 ea + $5 handling @ jegs, ordered 5 still $5 handling

Can you take pics of the filter insert once you get the Mahle OC575 filters for everyone to see?

filters

Wix has 4 different grades of filters - go for the "gold " one . Four digit part number not 5 digits .

Clyde12

Scooter
Wix has 4 different grades of filters - go for the "gold " one . Four digit part number not 5 digits .

Thanks. Sorry for the noob question, but my Bonnie only has 2K miles and the only oil change was done at the dealer. I haven't had to deal with the filter yet.

bonZa

Street Tracker
for the Aussies and Kiwis

a Ryco Z436 fits and does the job. I've been using these for the past 80k

and Ryco now markets a moto specific oil filter for the Hinckley Bonnie family, RMZ119

klem

Scooter
for the Aussies and Kiwis

a Ryco Z436 fits and does the job. I've been using these for the past 80k

and Ryco now markets a moto specific oil filter for the Hinckley Bonnie family, RMZ119

I might be a bit paranoid but i go for the Triumph oil filter, i wish i had the courage to try an after market one:flag: