Left me on the side of the road today...

simpson

TT Racer
My beloved Thruxton dropped me on the side of the road today. Fortunately I was less than half a mile from my house, so I pushed it the rest of the way.

She's been hard to start as of late, and was really running like crap today. I actually had thoughts of bad gas, or trash in the fuel lines.

Got her home and nestled into the garage, cracked open a beer and started checking things out.

Turned out I have absolutely no fire at the plugs.

Battery is new. Coil and rectifier are new. Plugs are in great shape and I have a new pair if I need them.

I am leaning towards the igniter box being the culprit.

Any input appreciated. Would love to be riding British again soon.

-simpson

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
My '06 was showing the same exact characteristics and ended up being the ECU. Swap that bugger out and she fired right up without any issues. You have any buddies that share the same ride? It would be a two second test if you could have a friend hook you up

simpson

TT Racer
Going to do that on Sunday. Thinking that that will be it.

I guess it will be time for an upgrade.

-simpson

whyme

TT Racer
My 07 scram was running like crap at the end of the last season and I still have not figured it out. Went crazy on the fuel system and found nothing. I was going to start tossing electronic parts at it...coils, regulator or maybe the ECU. It died on my twice on the side of the road, seemed like it was running on one cylinder...shut it off and then it was ok. Was thinking vent line but saw nothing with that. I was not thinking electronics, but I am now the more I read here about bad coils regs and ECUs.

simpson

TT Racer
Thanks to friends today. I swapped out the ignitor control unit and my Thruxton fired right up.

Getting a replacement this week.

-simpson

whyme

TT Racer
Thanks for the info Simpson....I think I'll order a new ECU. Happy to hear you are on the road again.