Lay flat for Thruxton - pics

D9

Vendor
Fitted a prototype layflat bracket to a stock thrux today, pics below.

Had to loosen & rotate the front brake line connection downward approx 1/4 turn. Even so, clearance was still very tight to the lower right edge of the tach cup. Inboard acorn nut clearance also tight... didn't have time to try it today but I've read that flipping the thrux's fork ears allows some additional clearance, although the ignition then relocates to the right side of the bike instead of the left. Also considering adding approx 1/16" to the height of the bevelled spacer underneath the bracket.

Finally got adequate clearance from the lower left edge of the speedo cup to the clutch cable elbow connection... just.

This one was a bitch - still needs some little tweaks... but pretty much there. As with the Bonneville... good to sit on the thrux and be able to see some of the headlamp... very different view out the front now. :D

thruxlayflat01.jpg

thruxlayflat2.jpg

thruxlayflat4.jpg

thruxlayflat0.jpg

Last edited:

D9

Vendor
Bret,

Thanks... planning on doing a third & final prototype with the next small production run sometime in December... will keep you posted... cost still TBD, will pm as soon as I know.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Were you able to run the speedo cable up into the speedo and tighten the knurled nut w/o it binding against the headlight bucket?

D9

Vendor
Chris -

Appreciate the question... no problem connecting the speedo cable... the remaining clearance issues - primarily gauge cup acorn nut clearance to headlamp - should be solved
by a slightly thicker (1/16" or so) spacer... but might also be solved
by swapping the fork ears. No opportunity to try that yet, but I've heard that
swapping the ears lowers the headlamp by approx 1/8"... but also
relocates the ignition to the right side of the bike.

Still a few weeks out on finishing & fitting a revised proto... will update
here as soon as I have news...

Thanks,

D9