K&N

findlay13

Scooter
I'm taking the snorkel off the airbox and fitting a k&n filter.The bike had pipes ,AI blocked and had been re-jetted when I got it.I was just wondering if there's anyone has had any problems after removing the snorkel?I know k&n are good I've used them before.Called the dealer and he said he didn't think I'd need to re-jet again but we'll see.

tribear

Street Tracker
you mean air box off completely with k&n pods installed? if so, you will definitely need to re-jet with a fair bit more air being introduced to the carbs.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Mine had the snorkle removed. I don't think it makes enough difference by itself to warrant rejetting. If you add different aftermarket exhaust it would though!

Jim :cool:

findlay13

Scooter
Thanks for the replys.I was only going to remove the top snorkel and add a K&N.A guy who did that along with gutted pipes said his dyno run showed it didn't make much difference.
As my power is ok, not road burning, but adequate,I'm thinking to leave it at the pipes,ai blocked and re-jet it has now.A hundred + bucks in my pocket is better than in the dealers.In a future service I'll probably switch to a K&N.Thanks again.

drlapo

Hooligan
K&Ns definatly let in dust
on many cars so much dirt will build up on the MAS that they need to be cleaned on a regular basis or the "check engine" light will activate
on my brother's MB the air box would be coated with dust

zmilin

Street Tracker
K&Ns definatly let in dust
on many cars so much dirt will build up on the MAS that they need to be cleaned on a regular basis or the "check engine" light will activate

I have a K&N in my 2000 Montero (its at 287,000 miles right now, never an issue), had one on my 87 Honda years ago (that made it to almost 200,000 before I sold it, no issues) and have a set on the bike now (18,000 in two years, not enough to brag but Im just getting started). Neither the truck nor the Honda had any more dust in the airboxes than they did with the OEM filters. As a matter of fact Id say they had less.

So...Im not challenging what your saying BUT in the same respect theres another side to this.

Yes, K&N CAN let in more dust (as can any filter including the OEM). Its a higher flowing air filter so yeah...in theory itll let in smaller particles (bad) along with more air (good). You prevent the damaging dust by maintaining the filter. You need to clean it and oil it as suggested by K&N. Thats what the filter oil is for.

Fin...dont worry...install, maintain and enjoy your power.

zmilin

Street Tracker
I've already ordered the K&N .Supposed to put it on tomorrow.I'll need to keep a good check on it.

Like I said in my other post...oil the filters. If You didnt order the K&N filter oil go to the parts store and get a can. Oil them per your instructions and by the time you get your airbox out they will be ready to go.

findlay13

Scooter
I put one on my honda a few years ago with no problems so far.I did buy the filter cleaner and oil kit.They do come pre-oiled if I remember correctly.
Then [as usual]I read the instructions last.Again if I remember correctly it said that the filters only need service every 50,000miles?Unless in extremely dusty conditions.I have cleaned and re-oiled the hondas filter though

Last edited:

mrt202

Street Tracker
The oil is the real problem with respect to dirtying up a MAF sensor. There are several cars (Northstar Cadillacs come to mind) that you can't use an oiled filter on for that reason. Some folks get away with it but most won't.

oldroadie

Scooter
the filters only need service every 50,000miles
A quick look at the filter will tell you more than the mileage will. I clean and re-oil mine at the start of every season and that seems to do the trick for me. Shoot, the cleaning kit was only $10 bucks at the auto store and I've still got another season or two worth of cleaner and oil after doing two bikes for the past two years.

findlay13

Scooter
Well the K&N has been installed for a few weeks.i removed the snorkel at the same time.Also bought the re-charge kit.
So far I'm happy with the results only needed a shim on the carb needles.I use a little more fuel.I've gone from about 20+ks per litre to 17+ ks per litre but that's ok.
So far so good.

Traxs

moped
K&N

I have a 03 Speedmaster. Its got the diff. exhaust the K&N kit. I rejetted the carbs yesterday. 1 shim, 45 pilot, and 150 main. will see what that does

Ptwin

moped
I have the AI blocked ,K&Ns and modified exhaust with no problems. It runs like a raped ape! Gonna put a cam in one of these days.

Sledge

moped
Jetting too rich I suspect

Trax, looking at your setup I suspect you may be too rich and wasting fuel. I bet if you pulled the sparkplugs out they would be black with soot.
My setup is as follows,
Thunderbike cams and pipes.
Dynojet kit fitted with the DJ130 main installed (140 Keihin) and one shim under the needle and 42 pilots.
Snorkel removed, airbox top opened up and internal baffle removed.
DNA filter installed.
Inlet manifolds port matched and internal ridges removed.
AI removed.
Stage 2 Pieman Ignitor
The bike runs so well compared to standard, better in traffic, better starting, better on the highway I find it hard to believe Triumph set it up the way they did, or were instructed to do by the tree hugging fraternity,
I hope this helps a bit.
Sledge

Last edited: