It was that simple ... Not

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi since I acquired my 05 Bonneville some years ago it has had a number of re occurring issues, idled like shite with choke on start up but cleared 10 secs later, then rides fine, then some issues with what felt like fuel problems, this happened on many occasions, done carbs myself a few times and been in and out of local repairers, but these issue always returned, and just lately more of the same stalling and stuttering so she had another week in repairers checking it over, This time I mentioned the coil issues the Bonnies have after reading threads on this great forum, they said coil was fine when I picked it up and it was running better, choke starts are still crap as usual but they didn't know what was causing that and didn't want to go stripping down to find out yet, 3 days later bike started stalling again but got home ok.
Next morning bike wouldn't start checked plugs for spark they were very weak so charged my weary battery due to too many failed starts, fitted again and tried again .. now no spark, so ordered a PVL coil as the Gill has got to be first call, fitted the coil this morning and checked leads and connections to related items tightened and cleaned them too.
Well she started first time today with full choke and the idle was perfect she has never run that well before, took her for a run and she is better than ever, she is like a new bike, I didn't want to go home I was enjoying myself so much, it's got to be the best hours work I have ever done on the bike. :kiss:

I'm guessing the coil has been the source of all these problems since day 1.

hope I'm not counting my chickens!

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Good on ya man. Over the years I have found that I pay most mechanics to learn on the job. 3 hours labor for what should have been a 10 minute job.
Press on.....
LMT

Motley

750cc
On some bikes, when the coil goes...it just quits. When the coil went on my '05 Thruxton it took weeks of intermittent stalling before it finally died.

Glad you got 'er sorted.

Brylcreem

Scooter
Thanks guys, I didn't realise how many problems could arise with an intermittent faulty coil,
Need to ride her more before celebrating too much but weather has turned cold and wet for a while so will go out next week.