hot weather Jacket

Trebo

Scooter
Likely there's an existing thread that I could bring back from the dead, and I hope you don't think me as lazy for not doing so, but what are you guys liking in 2012 for the coolest (the least warm) armored jacket? Love my Falcon, but it's starting to get hot.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I got a deal on a 1st gear mesh jacket. Those mesh jackets work well. I had no idea till I got one and rode home in 85 degree weather and was perfectly comfortable. There's more than one maker, so I'd Google mesh jackets and see what's out there.

Mine came with a wind/waterproof liner if the weather gets bad one way or another.

mondrian5

Scooter
Trebo,
I got a Tourmaster Flex series 3 and it's been really good. Three layers, feels protective, excellent airflow in the mesh layer, pockets in all three layers, Not too expensive. You could probably wear it through 3 if not 4 seasons depending on where you are. Not very retro, but the red looks good with the red Thruxton.

Oops. Just looked, you're in Southern CA. You're never going to need two of those layers. Well... anyway.

Last edited:

fender

Street Tracker
I got a deal on a 1st gear mesh jacket. Those mesh jackets work well. I had no idea till I got one and rode home in 85 degree weather and was perfectly comfortable. There's more than one maker, so I'd Google mesh jackets and see what's out there.

Mine came with a wind/waterproof liner if the weather gets bad one way or another.

I've got the same jacket and it works really well in warm weather. Lots of options with layering under it for the rides that start out cooler and warm up throughout the day.

hankmarx

750cc
I like my Vanson mesh jacket, and if i go headfirst down the road i believe it will protect me. However, if I go feet first , I think it will ride up. I have not field tested these theories, and hope I never do. It damn sure flows air, and is certainly better than nothing.

dschief

750cc
I've ridden with guys that refuse to wear jackets in the summer. I've been wearing a Joe Rocket mesh for about 10 years, and I can always ride longer than they can due the non-jacket riders getting sun and wind burn, bee stings, pelted with rocks, etc.
How well it protects in a fall is anyones guess, got to be better than nothing. Hope I never have to find out.

You think 85 is hot? Try riding in Texas in the summer!

I use a mesh jacket in the summer. If you soak your tshirt it makes even 100+ degree days tolerable.

strokerlmt

You think 85 is hot? Try riding in Texas in the summer!

I use a mesh jacket in the summer. If you soak your tshirt it makes even 100+ degree days tolerable.

Sorry for high jack....out of curiosity Jeff what does your engine temp run at on 100 degree day....do you had the gauge ???
Thx
LMT

BTW.....tshirt IS t-shirt ;-))))

KingBear

Hooligan
Mesh is all you need. Great when the weather is warm, then throw on a fleece underneath when it gets cooler.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I just got a Veskimo cooler. Haven't been out in hot weather with it yet, but it sure does work. It pumps ice water through about 60 feet of tubing in a mesh vest that you wear next to your skin. My skin was really cold when I tried it. They have backpack models and ones where you carry the cooler on the bike. I got their larger cooler, it easily straps down on the seat behind me.

http://www.veskimo.com/products.php

hankmarx

750cc
Sorry for high jack....out of curiosity Jeff what does your engine temp run at on 100 degree day....do you had the gauge ???
Thx
LMT

I don't know about Jeff's, but my bike in stop and go traffic, in weather over 100, on the aftermarket oil temp gauge reads 225.

Greyfox2

Scooter
Used a Triumph Highgate mesh today in 87 degrees. I thought i was going to cook but i was pleasantly surprized. Worked well with good air flow. Not big bucks, decent quality, body armor in the shoulders and elbows, and understated appearance. Only mesh I have ever owned so I don't have a good point of reference.

Thx
LMT

I don't have a temp gauge. They're neat I guess, but on an air-cooled motor....what's the point?

I just got a Veskimo cooler. Haven't been out in hot weather with it yet, but it sure does work. It pumps ice water through about 60 feet of tubing in a mesh vest that you wear next to your skin. My skin was really cold when I tried it. They have backpack models and ones where you carry the cooler on the bike. I got their larger cooler, it easily straps down on the seat behind me.

http://www.veskimo.com/products.php

I've been thinking about a veskimo. I'm very interested to hear what you think about it.

motomaniac

Street Tracker
I have used a Joe Rocket mesh for at least 10 years....it has faux leather on the stress points and armor so it's better than just mesh. To stay cool in the summer I wear a wet towel around my neck. Works well and it's fucking cheap!