Home Protection...what do you use?

strokerlmt

Best line of defense, I live in an almost crime free town......
Second best two small mixed breed dogs saved by my wife and girls that were abused but now love my 3 women and are extremely protective. They alert me with a low bark and growl if there is anything in the yard.
Third, baseball bat, more for the future boyfriends that come over.
Forth, 357 with ugly blue headed rounds in a hand print box bolted under the bed. I am pretty good with my handguns having gone to several saturday local clinics.
Fifth, we have been known to have the occasional large mountain lion wander into town. Because we have a big yard backed up to 88 acre preserve I have a stainless 12 gauge in a locbox. Dbl first slug slug dbl dbl slug. And only if the girls were outside and I did not know where they were.
The guns just make me feel like I am taking care of the family.
The dogs are probably the most efficient protection
LMT

JRMSR

Scooter
Besides the usual Security Alarm Services, three dogs and numerous firearms, it's nice to live in a cul de sac with only 35 houses and 7 of them are either local law enforcement, sheriffs department, FBI and Department of Public Safety.

2322180850101608021S425x425Q85.jpg
2344299470101608021S425x425Q85.jpg

jphickory

Banned
#8's?? Not to be picky but you'd do allot better with #4's or triple ot. #8's are bird shot and they aren't going to pack enough umph. You'll probably just piss'em off.

Although not the most lethal choice, No 8's can be the right choice when you need to be concerned about wall penetration and possibly injuring friendlies. Within 20 yards - a direct hit from a 12 gauge firing 8 shot will bring almost anyone down.

drlapo

Hooligan
#8s at 20 feet will behave very much like a slug as they have not opened up yet
an ounce and a quarter in front of 3 1/4 drams will do it
and you have the defense, in court, that you had not planned on hurting anyone and only had bird shot in your gun

KingBear

Hooligan
Shotgun for the home, Remington 870 with a 20" barrel, full length mag tube and side saddle. I agree that even number dust is effective at distances inside the home. Go ahead and measure your longest room or hallway, then go to the range and check out the pattern you get at that distance. You won't find much dispersion, so if you do your part the entire payload will be delivered.

Don't forget to have a bright flashlight. If you have an intruder in the house during the wee, dark hours of the night the beam of a good flashlight will leave them completely blinded for some time.

Don't forget to have a bright flashlight. If you have an intruder in the house during the wee, dark hours of the night the beam of a good flashlight will leave them completely blinded for some time.

I like the Surefire lights with the DNA collector on the business end!

Surefire_6P_Defender_med.jpg

ivar

TT Racer

combined with the sound of a 870 chambering a round, they should think twice about doing any stupid moves :c

Around here, its as crime free as can be. I never even lock my door at night.
However, when out on outback trips, sleeping in old trappers cabins, we need to take hungry polar bears into consideration. That means a revolver in 44mag, a pump w/ slugs , or something like the Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70, easily accessible.

jphickory

Banned
To protect your family from a home invasion at night it is important to have a plan. What would you do if you awake to the backdoor getting kicked in at 3 am? You don't want to momentarily freeze - a practiced plan should minimize you wasting important time. Practice with your family. Be sure to practice in a way that doesn’t make children fearful – depending on age it may be best to not explain exactly why you are practicing – just call it a “family safety drill”. Good to do a trial run in middle of the night once a year to make sure everyone immediately complies.

With cell phone charged and close by the bedside the basics of my plan are as follows:

1) Grab loaded shotgun from closet safe
2) Get all family members in Master Bedroom (easy task because rooms are next to each other)
3) Close and lock MB bedroom door
4) All others go into MB bathroom, lay on floor, and bathroom door is closed and locked (have wife or other in charge here)
5) Me on floor behind bed with shotgun trained at MB hall door at sharp angle with door to reduce chance of being hit by a blast if the intruder is armed
* All of the above steps can be accomplished in about one minute *
6) Call police
7) Quietly wait in defensive position
8) If intruder attempts to enter bedroom door – one loud verbal “STOP OR YOU WILL BE SHOT – POLICE ARE OUTSIDE NOW”
8) If intruder stops - wait for police ok before anybody moves
9) If intruder continues to force entry into MB - positively identify target upon breach of door and then do what you have to do

Depending on the intruders progression at the time of being awakened – you might have to immediately engage the criminal. Think about the place in your home you would want that confrontation to take place

Dang man... what kind of dog do you own? Cracking open a beer is a pretty cool trick, but if it comes to intruders in my house I'd rather hear bones crack.

He's an old Bassett Hound. Bassett's are not exactly guard dogs to start with, but the point was he didn't bark or make any fuss. If you give most dogs some food or petting they'll leave even strangers alone. My next pup will be large and territorial.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
My defense is a dog that barks at everything, the fact that walking on either of my porches is loud, bright torch and a walther P99. Also my roomate with a bright flashlight and a pump 870 express

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
He's an old Bassett Hound. Bassett's are not exactly guard dogs to start with, but the point was he didn't bark or make any fuss. If you give most dogs some food or petting they'll leave even strangers alone. My next pup will be large and territorial.

Point received, 2wheels. As I said earlier, I think it depends a lot on the breed of dog. Any type of Shepard dog will instinctively want to protect you.

My 2 Airedales are always on point when it comes to letting me know something is going on, and they seem to hear and alert to any noise. I doubt they'd actually do anything to guard the house though. My older one, a 10 year old female, might bite someone out of fear, but my 2.5 year old male would just want to play with whoever came around.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the thought of shooting a human being, even a thief in my house would give me pause. Most of the time they're just kids and scared as hell to begin with..

My buddy got up in the middle of the night to take a pee clad only in skivvies (like 90% of us I'm betting) and was confronted by two thieves. They thought he was armed (he wasn't) and screamed don't shoot. My bud just yelled get the hell outta here and they skedaddled. They were just kids. The thing that scared him the most in hindsight was his girls were having a slumber party in the back yard in tents.

My biggest problem has been a couple of incidents of minor vandalism. That has pissed me off as much as anything.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
My buddy got up in the middle of the night to take a pee clad only in skivvies (like 90% of us I'm betting) and was confronted by two thieves. They thought he was armed (he wasn't) and screamed don't shoot. My bud just yelled get the hell outta here and they skedaddled. They were just kids. The thing that scared him the most in hindsight was his girls were having a slumber party in the back yard in tents.

Your friend was lucky; my neighbor's house was broken into and the thieves took turns slamming their fists into his and his wife's mouth, sending their teeth don't their throats. I don't care what the reason is...someone breaks through my front door and two things will happen...they will be greated by a 85 pound boxer that is extremely territorial and they will receive a slug between the eyes. It would be a damn shame that a damn fine dog should get hurt in any way because he was protecting his family.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Your friend was lucky; my neighbor's house was broken into and the thieves took turns slamming their fists into his and his wife's mouth, sending their teeth don't their throats. I don't care what the reason is...someone breaks through my front door and two things will happen...they will be greated by a 85 pound boxer that is extremely territorial and they will receive a slug between the eyes. It would be a damn shame that a damn fine dog should get hurt in any way because he was protecting his family.

I agree... dogs become a real part of the family, and I too would hate for anybody to lose one due to some fuckin low life scumbags trying to get their dope money. Personally, I think you've nailed the 'best line of defense'. A good dog (or two) to wake you up, and a shotgun (or handgun) to put an end to the problem. I can see Kirkus' point that ending a life could be a traumatic experience, but if the bastards were in my house I wouldn't think twice at the time. I also think I could live w/ myself under those circumstance. If it comes down to them or my family, the choice is a no brainer.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
One point to remember, if there is an intruder in your home, it's after dark in the wee hours of the morning, you MUST assume they are armed. To do anything less is foolish and could get you shot.
If you must shoot, make sure they are dead, it will be a lot easier to explain to the authorities.
For one, I would positively NOT challenge them verbally. That makes you a threat and also gives your location, a verbal challenge may result in a gunshot towards you.
Just some things to think about.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I have a picture of my mother-in-law placed strategically at each point of entry. If you can get past the ugly mug on that evil bitch then help yourself to whatever you want!!

Beaman

Two Stroke
Living in a good neighborhood and having two dogs that bark at everybody that touches our yard.

JRMSR

Scooter
Although not the most lethal choice, No 8's can be the right choice when you need to be concerned about wall penetration and possibly injuring friendlies. Within 20 yards - a direct hit from a 12 gauge firing 8 shot will bring almost anyone down.

Not really!

Twenty yards is the average range for bringing down dove, pheasant, quail and other such birds. Just doesn't work on humans the same. To much dispersion, not enough muzzle energy or pellets for good penetration in vital areas. You're not shooting to wound in a home invasion, you're shooting to kill. #8 shot isn't going to do the job, like #4's or triple ot. #4's won't penetrate two layers of sheet rock and insulation if you're actually concerned about people with in the home. I'll take my chances protecting them with something that can actually make a difference. Just think you ought to rethink your ammo strategy.

#8s at 20 feet will behave very much like a slug as they have not opened up yet
an ounce and a quarter in front of 3 1/4 drams will do it
and you have the defense, in court, that you had not planned on hurting anyone and only had bird shot in your gun

Depends upon the choke used and if you are on target with the load. I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6. Castle Doctrine allows use of "deadly force," for protection of yourself , family members and your property without retreat. There is no penalty for utilizing something that will get the job done effectively and efficiently.

Last edited: