Hello From California

redfox0710

Scooter
Hi my name is Luis and I have been riding for about 3yrs now. I started off on a 250 then upgraded to the Honda CB500F which I recently traded for a 2014 Bonneville with about 1040 miles. I got the bike from my local dealer and got a pretty good deal. I have always wanted to own a Bonneville and have been loving every single mile I have put on the bike in this last week. Its been odd getting used to having to mess with the idle and also the fast idle, since my last two bikes didn't have this feature. I did have a couple of questions. My rear brake squeaks when I press on the break but only at low speeds. The brake pad is good so I am not sure why its making the noise or better yet how to get rid of it. I will also be upgrading the shocks and I wondered if any one had any opinions on the TEC Gas Shocks or if Hagon shocks would be best. This bike will be my forever bike so I will most definitely be investing some time on this bike. Thanks for any advice.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
Red,

Congrats on the choice of a Bonnie, in my not so humble opinion there isn't a better bike in the world.

But a couple of suggestions from a old rider. Before you start spending money on mods for your bike, ride it for several thousand miles. Then you can be sure what you want to change and improve.
Spend your money once, take your time. Make sure when you buy rear shocks and front springs. that they are set up for your weight and riding style. Don't buy one size fits all.

mtnbandit

Scooter
Brake squeak

Hi Luis, congratulations on the new Bonneville.
Try cleaning the rotors with some type of Brake cleaning chemical available at most auto parts stores.
Sometimes the squeak is caused by the pads vibrating against the push piston. There is a special grease that can be put on the back side (the side away from the rotor)of the pad, in a small amount, that will stop this.
Enjoy your bike and as was previously suggested, put several thousand miles on the bike before you start throwing money at it.
Hope this helps.
Brent

Roger

Street Tracker
Hi Luis. Welcome to NBR. You are really going to enjoy the Bonnie once you get a few more miles on it. I have a carbed bike and until the engine is warm, I have to fiddle with the idle knob a bit myself. I usually start it cold and get moving because the neighbours don't need to hear me first thing in the morning.

Odd that your brake squeals seeing how few miles are on the bike. What mtnbandit said about the pads chattering is a possibility. Cleaning the rotor on a new bike, that is strange. Not unless whoever had it first, rode the bike through lots of dust and the rotor and pad are glazed. Then as suggested, get some 'Brakleen' and spray it on some 4 ought (0000) steelwool and scuff the glaze off the rotor. Also, use some 80 grit sandpaper on the brake pads just to cut the surface clean again. Don't use Brakleen on the pads and wear safety glasses when spraying brake cleaner.

redfox0710

Scooter
Yeah I guess it's just weird since the bike is fuel injected but honesty I am getting used to it and it's becoming less if a hassle.

Hi Luis. Welcome to NBR. You are really going to enjoy the Bonnie once you get a few more miles on it. I have a carbed bike and until the engine is warm, I have to fiddle with the idle knob a bit myself. I usually start it cold and get moving because the neighbours don't need to hear me first thing in the morning. I will look into the Brakleen, or just take it to the shop where I bought it lol.

Odd that your brake squeals seeing how few miles are on the bike. What mtnbandit said about the pads chattering is a possibility. Cleaning the rotor on a new bike, that is strange. Not unless whoever had it first, rode the bike through lots of dust and the rotor and pad are glazed. Then as suggested, get some 'Brakleen' and spray it on some 4 ought (0000) steelwool and scuff the glaze off the rotor. Also, use some 80 grit sandpaper on the brake pads just to cut the surface clean again. Don't use Brakleen on the pads and wear safety glasses when spraying brake cleaner.

strokerlmt

Hi Red,
Welcome to the site. Folks here will have useful advice. Also use the search function you will find info on shocks, front springs etc.
Post some pics as well.
LMT

geolpilot

Street Tracker
If you take your time you can find parts for most mods used, but in nearly new condition on this forum, other forums and ebay. I tried 5 seats and 5 exhausts before I found what I wanted. Bought my suspension that way too. You will get the parts at about 1/2 price. If you don't like them, sell the same way and your only cost for trying is shipping.

What's the difference beetween intiminators and upgrading springs ?

I wasn't impressed with the spring "upgrade", which was a stiffer spring. Sure, it reduced the brake dive, but it didn't do much for the ride.

The Intiminators do something with the valving and the oil flow--which is why they require 5W oil--and drastically reduce the brake dive and otherwise yield a better ride. They're not great, but a good improvement over stock.

redfox0710

Scooter
Hmm interesting, well I will for sure look into it, maybe ill just try both and see what works best.

I wasn't impressed with the spring "upgrade", which was a stiffer spring. Sure, it reduced the brake dive, but it didn't do much for the ride.

The Intiminators do something with the valving and the oil flow--which is why they require 5W oil--and drastically reduce the brake dive and otherwise yield a better ride. They're not great, but a good improvement over stock.

drlapo

Hooligan
I installed the RaceTech straight springs (+30%) and their emulator valves. with 15w oil the improvement is very noticable. 2005 Thruxton
the stock springs are way too soft even for me and I weigh 150#
I'm using Hagon shocks and like them, Dave Quinn can set you up with the correct springs and damping

Samspade

Scooter
redfox, had the bike been sitting for a while when you got it? If so, there could be some corrosion on the disk that is causing the squeal (this happens on my car if it sits for a few days). If so, it will go away after some use.

redfox0710

Scooter
That's a great question, I am actually not sure how long it sat for. I am going to take it back to the dealer to see what they say.

redfox, had the bike been sitting for a while when you got it? If so, there could be some corrosion on the disk that is causing the squeal (this happens on my car if it sits for a few days). If so, it will go away after some use.

mtnbandit

Scooter

Hi Luis, did you ever resolve the problem s you were having with your motorcycle ???
We'd like to know.
Brent

sqeeky brakes

I see you are from sunny California. I have a similar issue in South Texas near Corpus Christi. The salt sea air can provide enough corrosion that my brakes squeak a little when first ridden. It disappears after a few miles.
The salt sea air can cause surface rust on the brakes disc.

I would think a good cleaning with brake cleaner on the disc should help.
I have just put up with the issue of squeaks.

Happy trails to ou.