Ha missed me

drlapo

Hooligan
I was on my Thruxton Sunday on a country road following a VW jetta. We were traveling at50mph and I was around 50 to 100 feet behind the car.
A gust of wind toppled a large tree that fell on the car crushing it. No brakes or warning ; the car just stopped
I stopped a few feet from the fallen tree and pulled a boy and his mom out of the car.
The car was crushed but they had only minor injuries cuts and scrapes.
Damn that was close.

D9

Vendor
That's wild!... everyone damn lucky, all things
considered... now go buy a lottery ticket!

drlapo

Hooligan
Getting a standard thruxton in green. I'll add bags and a flyscreen to make it a sports tourer.
I like the green paint and the fenders, tank and side panels all match
The standard model looks more retro
I'll pick it up Friday

beemerrich

Street Tracker
The standard model looks more retro
I'll pick it up Friday

I concur. To my eye it is retro whereas the R is more neo-retro...must be the inverted forks on the R that puts me off.

Anyway, congrats on dodging a bullet and on the new ride.

Cheers,

--Rich

Mark

750cc
I concur. To my eye it is retro whereas the R is more neo-retro...must be the inverted forks on the R that puts me off.

--Rich

Retro is like calling it a PT Cruiser, whereas neo retro is like it wants to be a PT Cruiser but didn't quite make it. I like the bike based on it's own merit and wouldn't buy one because it looked like the bike I had when I was young. I leave retro and nostalgia for those people who think the present sucks.

drlapo

Hooligan
I must disagree.
Too many modern bikes are origami style ie transformers etc.
A motorcycle is a toy and must be pleasing to the eye.
I like shiny paint and smooth lines.
I like triumphs modern classics

Mark

750cc
Actually we agree on that, just that I really don't like the term "retro", which I don't think it is. A modern bike in the classic style suits me and the bike better. I leave retro bikes to the skinny jean, flat hat crowd, to put electrical tape and header wrap on..........

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Retro is like calling it a PT Cruiser, whereas neo retro is like it wants to be a PT Cruiser but didn't quite make it. I like the bike based on it's own merit and wouldn't buy one because it looked like the bike I had when I was young. I leave retro and nostalgia for those people who think the present sucks.

I guess we have differing definitions of retro then. To me, retro is old design & technology updated with modern tooling and meeting modern emissions/safety/consumer requirements. Whereas my take on neo-retro is a modern motorcycle that has visual retro details added to it platform. The PT Cruiser in your example is neo-retro to me. Its a modern platform just tarted up.

As with most things in life, there is a lot of grey area from true retro (e.g. enfield bullet) to something completely neo-retro (e.g. Yamaha XSR-900). Certainly style points count...just like sharp brunette will invariably turn my head, so will a bike that looks proper to my eyes. And I wouldn't buy in to either if I didn't like the looks of what I was riding....;).

Mark

750cc
Good points, and in the end it's semantics, though Triumph really milks the retro Ace Cafe nostalgia thing for all it's worth.

drlapo

Hooligan
I also own a Tiger 800. Used to have a speed triple.
Great bikes but no one ever bought one for the "styling"