GPS - Cell or Satellite?

ggRAT

Street Tracker
GPS on cell phones is getting a lot of press, but is it a viable option for a biker?

How well can a cell phone with GPS features work when in a remote area without a signal? I don't get the hype, or am I missing something. Do they really work as well as say a Garmin Zumo that relies on a satellite signal?

fender

Street Tracker
There are two type of GPS on cell phones and they both rely on satellites for the GPS positioning. The difference is are the maps stored on the device or are they downloaded as needed.

If it the type of device that has them stored on it they work fine even without cell coverage. If you need to rely on a cell connection to get the map your sol all it will show you is your position and no map to reference it.

There are some GPS apps for the smart phones that have the maps built in so your all set even if you don't have cell coverage in the area.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Well, there you go. I thought cell phones relied on cell tower triangulation, not satellites. Are cell phones as accurate as a dedicated GPS?

fender

Street Tracker
I depends on the phone, from what I've heard the GPS in the iPhone isn't as accurate or fast as a dedicated GPS, but from my experience it's pretty damn good.

adrianwhipp

Two Stroke
my iphone gets me everywhere, it just sucks cos its really like reading a map, and you have to keep stopping to check it. love it though.

SCL18

Two Stroke
I use the Verizon Navigator on my LG Dare, its accurate and works well....if you have cell coverage and are in the US. It didnt help much when I went to canada.

jfenton

Scooter
GPS on cell phones is getting a lot of press, but is it a viable option for a biker?

How well can a cell phone with GPS features work when in a remote area without a signal? I don't get the hype, or am I missing something. Do they really work as well as say a Garmin Zumo that relies on a satellite signal?

I would lean towards a standalone for bike rides, as you can get ones that are weatherproof and have replaceable batteries for long rides. Unless you have a charging setup for your GPS enabled cell phone, and like posted before, can be used even without cell coverage.