Fly screen project

strokerlmt

I need a fly screen that is bigger than the stock one but not to big. The summer screen is way to big and looks funky for me. So here is a used summer screen that I am about to modify slowly until I get exactly what I want. Then I will prime and paint. More soon…….
LMT

Attachments

• 1980-01-01 00.00.08-2.jpg
    1980-01-01 00.00.08-2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

Roger

Street Tracker
What is that part that you have taped and scribed? Just curious. I know that wouldn't work for me here. I have a summer screen or windshield on my T100 and I won't consider taking it off during the hot weather up here. We have some really juicy bugs up here. They usually leave a big yellow or green smear wherever they hit.

Yesterday, sitting at a red light, a spider that looked like a black bean with legs crawled up from behind my tach. I grabbed it and then I was shaking my hand in the air to get it off. I'm sure the car drivers behind me were saying, "What the fuck is that guy doing?"

Genesis - Fly On A Windshield 1974

strokerlmt

What is that part that you have taped and scribed? Just curious. I know that wouldn't work for me here. I have a summer screen or windshield on my T100 and I won't consider taking it off during the hot weather up here. We have some really juicy bugs up here. They usually leave a big yellow or green smear wherever they hit.

Yesterday, sitting at a red light, a spider that looked like a black bean with legs crawled up from behind my tach. I grabbed it and then I was shaking my hand in the air to get it off. I'm sure the car drivers behind me were saying, "What the fuck is that guy doing?"

Genesis - Fly On A Windshield 1974

Roger…..its a used "clear summer screen" taped over. I am drawing up a BIG Triumph style "fly screen". Then I have a special jig saw blade for cutting plexiglass. I will cut the plexiglass….then sand and paint.
I remember the big June Bugs while riding through Georgia and Florida that would pop yellow, they even plugged up the cooling fins on the engine and I had to stop and use a screw driver to clear the engine.
LMT

Roger

Street Tracker
Good stuff LMT. Hope you can whittle it down to what you like. Watch out for those "Oops, guess I shouldn't have done that!" moments :)

strokerlmt

Sooooooo I made the plunge, grabbed the jig saw and made the cut. Then I took the palm sander with 100 grit and sanded the sharp edges, rounded and smooth. Tomorrow will be 220 grit, 400 then 600 for the edges then 600 for the face and back of the plexiglass. Once the glass is lightly roughed up I can prime for paint.
More soon………
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

screen is ready for primer. 220 grit palm sander, edges rounded, then 400 to 600 hand sanding. the primer coat will give me a better feel for the look installed. if I like no more cutting and sanding. more soon…
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 0

Flaco

750cc
I like. Will pass this on to my son…
If you don't like it, hummm. Who would buy it? We would!

strokerlmt

2 coats of primer. 4 coats John Deere/ValSpar medium gloss black. 2 turtle wax back and front. Ready to install and test ride.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_6660.jpg
    IMG_6660.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

The jury is still out on "the look" of the screen.
Obviously bigger than flyscreen smaller than summer screen.
At 70mph the wind travels just off the top of my helmet….nice ;-)))
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1