Flipping handle bars

Snapper

moped
Have a Thruxton 2011 efi900 model and when we had the bike a dealer flipped said they would flip the handle bars so they were slightly higher for my partner for ease if riding.

I want to revert it back to a lower riding position. I have the workshop manual and it tells me how to remove the brake, switches and clutch systems but having done the left side / brake and lights the rubber hand grip is firmly locked in place and won't move. Can't see any obvious reason like other bolts or screws to prevent it sliding off

Is there something I am missing or does the handle bars come with a fixed left grip?

The manual shows a generic exploded view of the Thruxton / Bonne bars and gives the impression that the grip should come away from the bars...

Any advice?

Flaco

750cc
DO NOT cut off the grip as others have done!
Go to you your local hardware store and get a spray can of "Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray" and squirt it between the grip and bar. (May be a small straight shank screw driver to lift the grip slightly for penetration.) Twist and it will come right off… Hear me now and believe me later… It's easy and when it dry's it's rock solid after mounting on the other side…

Allin…

Flip it now!

If you have an air compressor, just shoot air as you pull twist the grip off...easy as pie...no chemicals needed. Same process when you are putting the grips back on.

strokerlmt

Flac and tooble….thx to both of you….great tips….especially the air compressor….I am such a dummy both are easy…..
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
If you have an air compressor, just shoot air as you pull twist the grip off...easy as pie...no chemicals needed. Same process when you are putting the grips back on.

This is enough reason alone to have an air compressor!! Remember...the dude with the most tools...WINS!!! :D

Snapper

moped
Thanks guys

WD40 and the air compressor trick worked a treat. Amazing considering the vice like grip the rubber handle had on the handlebar.

I usually use a pencil and Purell hand sanitizer. Use the pencil to go in and under the grip and squirt some Purell. Grip comes off easy enough.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
Windex and a small flat blade screwdriver also work to remove the grips.

When installing the grips spray some Windex inside of the grip and then slide them back onto the bars, let them dry overnite, and then your ready to go.

strokerlmt

Stop……now I have to go to the store…

Air compressor check
Liquid wrench silcone spray buy
Small flat head check X 6
Carb cleaner check
WD 40 check
pencil check X 16 1/2
Purell buy
Windex steal from wife

Anything else before I go to the store ???????

LMT

Snapper

moped
No... WD40 and the use of a air compressor worked perfectly

(You could use a tyre inflator at a garage if you don't have access to a compressor)...

There was no need for a screwdriver or any other implement....

jhillier71

Street Tracker

+1 air compressor is the cleanest and most efficient way to get those grips off

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Stop……now I have to go to the store…

Air compressor check
Liquid wrench silcone spray buy
Small flat head check X 6
Carb cleaner check
WD 40 check
pencil check X 16 1/2
Purell buy
Windex steal from wife

Anything else before I go to the store ???????

LMT

condoms and beer, ok - maybe just beer