Five Ideas

DavidC

Rocker
Blu, do you have a job? You seem to have much free time on your hands - like me.
But seriously, I like those ideas - really. Hope someone here is a dentist; I got a toothache.

Bonafide

NBR founder
1. We have an area where people can freely exchange their contact info and panty/bra sizes. Either publically or privately ... It's called the ACE CAFE or PRIVATE MESSAGES. Paul, I dont have your ph number cause I've never asked for it. You dont have mine for the same reason. I have AAA and could have called them to come pick me and my bike up the day I went down and it wouldnt have cost me a dime ... I decided to be stubborn and rode my broken bike 83 miles home.

2. Already covered with the CLASSIFIEDS section. If you want to give away parts then have the title contain the word "FREE" or if you want to trade the thing, "WTT" = "want to trade".

3. SHIFTY is a nice way to explain that cause you would be using this forum for business purposes. See my rules as they pertain to VENDORS. If you want to sell products or services here - very cool - but it aint free.

4. a 'HOW TO' section?!?!?! ... wow, somehow I thought that's what the TECH area and ARCHIVES were designed for ... go figure.

5. a Calendar section? How bout posting the DATE in your SHOWS/RALLYs thread title and everyone can mark it down on their own calendar? GENIUS!!!

BOTTOM LINE .... let me guess; it's hot outside and you're sitting inside sipping some sweet tea? You could always start typing out some standard HOW TOs ... and I'll add them to the Achives.

BluBonnie

1234 .. I'm a moron
BOTTOM LINE .... let me guess; it's hot outside and you're sitting inside sipping some sweet tea? You could always start typing out some standard HOW TOs ... and I'll add them to the Achives.

Nah, I rode 180+ miles today. NC & TN again.
I've clocked about 550+ miles this week so far. Fun!
Great weather too. (wee bit of rain the other day, but within tolerance!)

Was just thinking about the potential this forum has when out today, and jotted down the ideas when I returned.
(I type about 90 WPM, so it doesn't take too long.)
No sweet tea required.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely confident I'd be contributing valuable information from my 40+ years of riding to the knowledge base here.
Or, what would become of it after it was assimilated.

They were merely suggestions.
All of them impossibly easy to deploy in this software package too.

Here are some numbers to reflect upon:

3 to 1, the place everyone goes here is "Ace Cafe".
Almost 4 to 1, the most viewed thread is "Babes on Bikes".
To me, this demonstrates what the participants want from NBR.

I could be way off base thinking any of these features I presented here would be found useful or of value to the majority of 'members'.
Judging by what suits them now at least.

This is about where it's going to be.
Reached its zenith.
Okay fine.

Thank you for the time and effort you took in posting your response.

MattRat

TT Racer
some good ides, but from my experience the calendar thing doesn;t work well - it ends up either completely ignored or clogged with so much info you can't figure out what the fuck is going on...

As for the "Rider Assistance" - anyone in New England can feel free to call me and I'll give you my cell.

BluBonnie

1234 .. I'm a moron
No probs - made an appointment for ya at 'tooth hurthy'

...right, I'll get my coat!

Not a bad idea Blu - but the Riders Assistance Network? - can't see it working for me :(

One group I am a member of has a robust Assistance Network.
Granted, the cars we have are somewhat cantankerous - so you need one!

There are four major events in the US every year, so members crisscross the country in hopes of attending them (in 50 year old cars mind you).
Every once in a while, somebody will break down in the middle of B.F.E. (to them), and not know where to get help.

Even if it's just a phone call to a local member to find out where the nearest shop is, the Assistance Network is a worthwhile benefit.

Similarly, a motorcycle forum I participate in (with twenty times the 'members' here) has an international RAN of a few thousand names.
You could be virtually anywhere in the World and have a local contact for anything from a place to stay overnight, mechanical assistance, or ride suggestions.

It's all moot, of course.
This forum, if it lasts the year, will be nothing more than it is now-

NEPatriots9

Scooter
It's all moot, of course.
This forum, if it lasts the year, will be nothing more than it is now-

Some good ideas Blu, but starting to sound like sour grapes now, how much are you doing to add to this board? All I can see now is correcting grammatical mistakes and actively trying to piss folks off.

This board will be around longer than a year, whether you decide to particpate or not

rmak

moped
Blu,
Personally, I like your out of the box thinking. The suggestions are thoughtful.

I believe the difficulty is that it's pushing the forum past it's intent.

When I was involved in BMWs, the national club sent out an "owners anonoymous" handbook that listed what service one owner could offer another. It appeared to take a lot of effort to compile, update and maintain. A lot of potential for hard feelings (I got there to sleep in his spare room and he sold the house, that SOB) and potential liability issues.
It was paid for by our dues. I don't know who'd vounteer for such a task.

I've given a few parts away to people when I see their request for "parts wanted" Not big things, because I figure selling what I don't need helps fund what I want to do next to my bike. If you look on ebay, people are trying to eek out a few buck for just about anything. That's just the nature of things today.

I could add my two cents item by item, but you get the drift. There seems to be a level of sophistication of the members, so I believe we can dispense with a lot of basic question about how bikes work. We are also cursed with bikes that are to a large degree trouble free, so working on them is a matter of choice. But you better believe if I drop a bolt down a hole, I'm going to come crying to you immediately for help somewhere on this forum.

Keep thinking. I dig your style, dude.

Last edited:

BluBonnie

1234 .. I'm a moron
Some good ideas Blu, but starting to sound like sour grapes now, how much are you doing to add to this board? All I can see now is correcting grammatical mistakes and actively trying to piss folks off.

This board will be around longer than a year, whether you decide to particpate or not

Numbers speak loudly.
This forum is all about looking at ugly naked skanks on bikes and bullshitting one another.
There's thousands of other sites like it, and this one is just another 'also ran'.
There is neither redeeming value or benefit- unless those two objectives are important to the participants.

More numbers:
All that the forum has mustered in participation is 440 'members' thus far.
Of that, most are lurkers. Penetration is inordinately low too (a measure of simultaneous 'on-line' participants at any given point in time).
I'd wager nearly everyone here also lurks or participates in RATnet or NTBF.

At the outset it had some potential.
Yet, it is underachieved.
That's why I contributed this 'five idea' thing- trying to explore opportunities.

It ends up being attacked by my very own personal dingleberry, Bud.
He's had it in for me from the beginning.
Just as found on RATnet, Bud has deleted my posts, locked my threads, and completely eliminated my threads in their entirety.
Like I've said, he's more like the monstrous moderators he detested so much at RATnet (which begot this place in the offing).

Piss him off? Nah, he starts his day being pissed off (at me). NBD.

I realize you overstated your comment in an effort to make a point.
I have contributed lots to the site- but I've also gone out of my way to remove it all.
Mainly because I don't know what will be done with it; as in appropriation for benefit, either financially or otherwise.
Sort of like what happened over at RATnet.

As for grammatical corrections- I've only done too (oops, two).
I don't think that's a bad thing, or to much.... (ooops, too much).

Sour grapes? Nope, just profoundly disappointed is all.
[then again, must admit, it's probably asking way too much.]

Remember- I said, if it lasts more than a year, it will be nothing more than it is now. That's all.

Last edited:

MOSES

750cc
Blu, have you ever heard the saying " opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one "
or " nobody likes a backseat driver "

Just sit back , ride, at let The Dude drive . The more you post, the more your sig line fits to a T.

BluBonnie

1234 .. I'm a moron
Blu, have you ever heard the saying " opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one "

Just sit back , ride, at let The Dude drive . The more you post, the more your sig line fits to a T.

yeah, i've heard that.
oh, i dunno about the sig line. i think it's cute.

of course, you did express YOUR opinion, dint you? :)

I guess the best thing is to leave off.
if you know that term.
might as well.
I'd just hoped for much more is all.
shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

thanks for your input.

BluBonnie

1234 .. I'm a moron

sorry, i missed your post earlier.

they were just ideas. no big bother.

glad you had the chance to contribute your "opinion" though.

i don't have a sig line.
if you mean the 'moron' thing- that's something our RATnet moderator put on there. no big deal. just consider the source.
RPMs :)

Bonafide

NBR founder
sorry, i missed your post earlier.

they were just ideas. no big bother.

glad you had the chance to contribute your "opinion" though.

i don't have a sig line.
if you mean the 'moron' thing- that's something our RATnet moderator put on there. no big deal. just consider the source.
RPMs :)

Last chance Paul. I'm seriously tiring of your douchebag comments.

IOW, :stfu:

MOSES

750cc
banstick3td.gif

Last edited: