Experienced insight needed

Okay, i've looked and did a ton of research on the speedmaster. I went yesterday to go test one out. I ended up on a 09 bonny (listing 3799$ from what I see, arrow pipes and K&N air filter) 9800 miles plus some cosmetics.

I am thinking about getting rid of my 2014 FZ09 (with a ton of aftermarket 6800 miles) I am planning a new child so id rather have a triumph in my garage over a piece of "plastic". The triumph looks like one getting their money on metal and not plastic. By no means am I stressed to sell or trade. Just looking for something comfortable

When I hopped on the bonny it felt way more comfortable than my FZ (no brainer) it sounds amazing, the only thing that I would need to get used to is the throttle. It felt like I had to really twist my wrist to get it to go whereas the FZ I barley turn it and the darn thing would leap out of my hands (Some people hate that, I got used to it).

Prior to doing said trade, I am trying to find out aftermarket stuff for the bonny, I have found some sites but not much. Any help there would be great. In addition to any advice or things I should be aware of going to a triumph i.e carb models etc, I guess an entry level information on someone who has little to no experience with this style of bike.

BonnieBlack

Scooter
going to a triumph i.e carb models etc,

I think your '09 is EFI, not carbed. Looks like carbs but they are throttle bodies. Doesn't matter much though.

If you have money to spend on it then I'd look at shocks first since you already have pipes you like. You might want to address the seat comfort too. Bar end mirrors. Luggage.

Get some LED bulbs for the indicators: https://newbonneville.com/shop/idiot-light-led-conversion-kit/

Heck, just ride it a while and see what you think it needs. Might not be much :)

bonZa

Street Tracker
your throttle cables may need adjusting, pretty easy to do. amazing the difference between bikes of the same model all down to how the cables are adjusted

kdharri

moped
The other way to adjust the throttle response is to change the cam in the throttle sleeve to something that ramps up more quickly.
This allows the rpm to come on quicker to overcome the difference in horsepower (FZ-09 roughly 105hp vs 865cc Bonny at 70hp-ish), which is really what you are experiencing.

The Fizzer is/was notorious for abrupt throttle response, so many chose to change THAT throttle cam to something softer and more gradual, the opposite of what you want for the Bonny...

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
The 2009 Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster does in fact have multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection through a set of Keihin throttle bodies that look like carbs. The 270 degree crank 865cc twin engine delivers 61.68 HP (45.0 kW) @ 6800 RPM and 74.00 Nm of torque (7.5 kgf-m or 54.6 ft.lbs) @ 3300 RPM.

Last edited: