Exhaust Volume scale

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
Saw Dominator touring but not D sport. That's what I have and they are loud, anyone that rides behind me ALWAYS comments on how awesome they sound, would love a comparison to know where they rank in decibals. If there's any louder, I haven't heard. I always wear earplugs on the Bonnie since I got em :eeek:

ivar

TT Racer
Have tried the TORS , Emgo reverse cones and now Dominator Tourings, the ranking between them looks sensible.

As for the Dominator Sports, I'd think they would be similar to the BC Predators..?

BTW, I ride with earplugs anyway - got a very noisy helmet. (Time to find a new, better one...)

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Just put the Commando Specialties mufflers on today. WOW! If BC Preds are 8/10, these fall somewhere between 9 and 10/10. A nice mellow rumble at idle to a full-throated howl at speed. Great mufflers for the money.

Pix? Video?

gregpinch

Scooter
I am considering the BC Sleepers and the Norman Hyde classic silencers.
I am looking for that nice Triumph sound but don't want it crazy loud.
Thoughts between the two options?

Which set is quieter?
Which set has the best classic Triumph sound?

It's going on a 2002 T100.

Thanks,
Greg

Mark

750cc
Nothing looks funnier than a bike that is louder than it is fast.... a Sportster with open pipes comes to mind

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Aren't the BC Sleepers the same as the predators but pea shooter shaped? I am happy with my predators and the louder the better; I am a firm believer after getting hit by a car that your best chance is to be heard, not seen.

My scrambler with arrow 2 into 1 has been recorded with baffle removed at 126db using proper db meters using correct procedures.

gregpinch

Scooter
Just about to buy the BC Sleepers but now I am getting nervous that they will be too loud.
Looking at the TORs now.

I am 48 and I think my loud pipes days are behind me (I had a Ducati for that)

Thoughts?

T-boy

Rocker
If you're coming or going in the middle of the night or early morning, your neighbors will probably take notice. Once you get up to cruising speed, I don't think the Sleepers are that loud. I've been behind Harleys before that drown out my bike completely.

mondrian5

Scooter
Greg- I'm 53. I have the BC Sleepers on my T-100. I think they sound and look appropriate. It does sound louder than my buddy's Hypermotard, but not near as loud as any of the Harleys around here.
It kinda depends on the type of person you are. If you feel too old for loud pipes, you might be. I say that with no offense intended at all. I heard someone riding a Thruxton the other day with stock pipes and thought it sounded great. Surprised me.

gregpinch

Scooter
Ya, I guess I am just looking for a slightly better sound than the stock sewing machine. ;0

Don't want to wake the neighbours when I leave in the morning. I live right downtown in a quiet neighbourhood.

Found a barely used set of TORS in my city so I will pick them up and give them a try.

Mark

750cc
Great, that is what I am after.
At 48 going down the highway I don't enjoy that over the top loudness in me ears.

Back in the day I put a set of headers on my car and made an appointment with the muffler shop for the dual exhaust. Bad news I drove it there all 25 miles. Very cool for first mile and a half, pretty sick of it after 5. Good news, though I saw all kinds of police on the way I was able to be smooth enough not to get arrested. I find TORS are great but seriously "for off road use only"??? For people who live in a retirement community.........maybe.

gregpinch

Scooter
Ha ha, had a laugh with that one.

I too put a custom exhaust on a European car I once owned. I hated the "drone" while on the highway, got rid of them within days.
Hence why I don't want my bike to be too loud, just a better sound than stock.

My 7 year old son said "dad the bike is too quiet" when he first heard it running.

rickg

moped
Just about to buy the BC Sleepers but now I am getting nervous that they will be too loud.
Looking at the TORs now.

I am 48 and I think my loud pipes days are behind me (I had a Ducati for that)

Thoughts?

I recently bought a set of used TORS and though I like them, I was just a tad dissapointed that they weren't a touch louder. I had a Ducati ST3 with the DP Carbon slipons and the TORS are definitely quieter but not by much and the Duc wasn't really loud either.

I have yet to hear a set of the Sleepers in person to determine if they are too loud but in the mean time the TORS do sound nice around town. I hear almost no difference at speed.

Rick G

Last edited:

Mark

750cc
had a Ducati ST3 with the DP Carbon slipons and the TORS are definitely quieter but not by much and the Duc wasn't really loud either.

I too have an ST3 and stock pipes on it. Unlike the Bonnie you can't just download a new map to suit the pipes as 06 was a closed loop on the Duc, damned if I'll pay for pipes and a brain though I could send the stock one away to get reprogrammed

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Do the TORs have any markings on them to identify them? I just bought an '08 Bonnie and the woman I bought it off said that she had louder Triumph pipes installed. They do seem louder than stock and are regular pea-shooter looking pipes. The appear to be chrome because there is some rust starting. A friend who heard me ride up to meet him for lunch said they sounded good but when I'm riding they sound very ordinary - kinda fog-horn droney.

So I have ordered some Doms and an airbox eliminator. Can anyone give me a ballpark on what jets I will need? I have the stock carbs and will be using the AI eliminators also. Will I need just new main jets or will I need new pilots also?

I sold a '98 Harley Fatboy with V+H Staggered dragpipes to buy my Bonnie, so I'm used to loud! Actually I'm enjoying riding a quieter bike. The Harley was getting on my nerves after 5 years. I also love riding a bike that starts first time.

Thanks guys!