Exhaust sounds: 5 bikes, 1 movie

Easy13

Street Tracker
Epco(Stainless Ride) vs D&Ds

FWIW, I recently picked up a set of Stainless Ride peashooters to replace my battered D&Ds and wanted to share my personal comparo. Having heard little about these latter-day Epcos, I didn't have a clear idea of how they'd be.
Turned out they're VERY nicely constructed, excellent in fit and finish and much louder than I was at first led to believe. Very similar to the Commando Specialties mufflers, they're straight-through, with smooth baffling, so that at any RPM above about 2K, they're mufflers in name only.
Comparing with my Moose-repacked D&Ds, the SRs are quieter at idle, I suspect because of the smaller outlet (the SR peashooters are 1 1/2" end to end,as opposed to the 2" outlet on the D&Ds). As stated above though, at RPM the SRs open up into a much more full-throated howl than the D&Ds. Don't get me wrong, I love my old D&Ds, but the quality of build and the sound of the SRs is, IMHO, better than the D&Ds. They're a completely different look, peashooters to polished-cap reverse cones, I'm merely pointing to the quality of materials/construction.
As to performance, I really felt no difference, one to the other. My '07 Bonneville Black is mildly warmed over, with 790 cams, CR35 carbs, UNI pods and a remapped ignitor. I have no problem hitting the 8500 RPM limiter in 4th gear and getting to about 7500 in 5th. I haven't Dynoed the bike at all, so I can't quantify, but the bike felt the same with the SRs as it did with the D&Ds.
My SRs are low-mount mufflers, which seem to go well with the stock-length fenders and the classic Bonneville look I'm trying to maintain. I'm planning to have these mufflers ceramic coated to match my headers, so I'll post a pic or two once it's all put together.
Bottom line, my D&Ds are still around and good for swapping onto when I feel like a change, but the Stainless Ride muffers are, IMHO, superior in build quality, materials and fit. Performance seems comparable and the sound is much less restrained. If the RPMs are kept low, the SRs and D&Ds put out about the same volume, not at all objectionable to most good citizens. But out in the open, both systems speak with authority, with the SRs being the louder of the two.
I hope this has proved usefull, and again, pix are forthcoming.

mark66

TT Racer
Easy......looking forward to your pics as I recently sold my '03 Bonne America that I had put D&D pipes on and replaced it with a silver '07 Bonneville. This bike is all stock and I'm trying to decide what pipes I want for it and maybe doing the headers and pipes in black ceramic. Not sure I want to go any louder though.
Great write up by the way. Thanks......Mark

aleonet100

Two Stroke
Bonneville T100 with D&D repacked with Silent Sport Premium Packing

Finally got around to making a little video with an emphasis on recording the best quality audio I could from various angles. Ended up with a nice little ride video. So if you have three and a half minutes with nothing to do, take a look, listen and crank up the speakers.

05 Bonneville T100 with D&D Silencers repacked with Silent Sport Premium Packing.

Here’s the link for the video.

Here’s a link for the road.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Finally got around to making a little video with an emphasis on recording the best quality audio I could from various angles. Ended up with a nice little ride video. So if you have three and a half minutes with nothing to do, take a look, listen and crank up the speakers.

05 Bonneville T100 with D&D Silencers repacked with Silent Sport Premium Packing.

Nice video man!
Obviously took longer than 3 1/2 minutes to record, I'm sure!
Great illustration of the finer points of the Bonneville, thanks!
:up:
-K

sportyone

Street Tracker

really nice video man, how did you cut out the wind noise ?
what did you shoot it with ? great editing, come on fill us in, I'm really interested, been trying to do something similar of my great Bonne too ! :cheer:

aleonet100

Two Stroke
Thanks for the compliments.

The camera was a mini hdv, Canon. I used two microphones, one for the ride, the other for the drive-bies, both unidirectional Shure mics. The mic on the ride was from a voice over booth so it could really handle sharp, high volume sounds without being over driven. The drive-by mic was a bit more broad spectrum, not quite such a tight pattern. The ride mic was mounted on the seat behind me, sandwiched between a couple of thick towels with the head of the mic exposed. That really kept the wind noise to a minimum while keeping the mic close to the exhaust. Only thing I couldn’t control were the incessant leaf blowers on some nearby properties. Hate those things.

The camera mount wasn’t as rigid as I had hoped. Could have really used another attachment point to lock it down. My time to do this was limited so there was no take 2 option. Next time I’ll make it more stable.

For a very long time I’ve made my living as an editor so the last thing I want to do when I get home is more work. So I rarely do any personal television production. But this was fun. Maybe do more when Spring rolls around.

Attachments

• IMAG0184.jpg
    IMAG0184.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0

aleonet100

Two Stroke
The zip ties were strictly for redundant safety purposes, not to stabilize the rig.

Attachments

• IMAG0182smaller.jpg
    IMAG0182smaller.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

sportyone

Street Tracker
The
zip ties were strictly for redundant safety

so good man,

great I just got a good handycam 2nd hand cheap , but realised it doesn't have a external mic jack, bugger !

wonder if I can hook one inside it someplace internally, might take some surgery :) ?

Last edited:

sportyone

Street Tracker
great job mate, after seeing your rig, I went searching for another camera with a external mic jack, whakko, found one for $100 bucks at the first cash converter store I went to, almost brand new as well, got a mic & now gotta get around to making it work set up on the bike, :)
I'm looking for a good filming position without having it stick out too much. also made up a bracket that fits on my chest by way of my jackets top front pockets, to get a rider perspective. :headbang2:

I'm looking forward to shooting soon. I use a Mac, I think there is a application on it to do movies, but even if I can work the program out, I don't know how to get it to a size for on here but ? :huh:

CafeCool79

Scooter
Just got a set of TORs with a remap of the ecu. I must say I love them, just right in my opinion! Gives a good sound, but not ear bleeding.

CafeCool79

Scooter
Hope this is the right place to start the ever popular exhaust thread.

Five bikes, One recording, so no worries about different recording qualities. Stock Bonnie, Stock Thrux, Bonnie/TORS, Thrux/EMGOs, Thrux/Preds. Enjoy! multiple pipes, one recording (it's 6mb, so it takes awhile to download)

I like this side by side comparison, gives a potential buyer a good indicator of what they are in store for. I was one of them, went with the TORs....thanks for the video!

Hi guys,
great thread I was wandering why no one has talked about the Arrow 2 in 1. Intintially I wanted the TORs but insurance and city riding sounds ify so any comments on the 2 in 1 from Arrow that are road legal.

Arrows

Hi guys,
Great thread. I was wandering why no one has talked about the Arrow 2 in 1. Initially I wanted the TORs but insurance and city riding sounds iffy, so any comments on the 2 in 1 from Arrow that are road legal.

I have these on my 09. You will hear a number of riders say they don't look correct. I disagree as they look great on my mag wheeled Bonnie. They are a full stainless system with considering weight saving over the OEMs. Sound really good especially with the baffle out.

There are issues though
1) You can't run a centre stand
2) Price
3) Saddlebag limitations to the angle of the end can (I run a LHD city bag)

Thanks for the info bon.neville I like the look of the arrow system on the SE but no saddle bags is a really pain in the butt. The price is also a big consideration when compared with the £300 TORs. To resume:

Legal pipes = no saddlebag + big hole in the wallet
illegal pipes = police fines and insurance refusal!

Last edited:

fitzpatt

Scooter
I just got the "offroad" pipes on my ride. They look exactly like stock pipes, but sound fantastic. Not too obscene, but load enough to be seen.

t3knoid

moped
D&D Exhaust and Emgo Videos on 2007 Bonnie

Here's my 2007 Bonnie with a D&D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmWaxd8kPrQ&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8edZ_VBNGc&sns=em

They came with 45 pilot jets which I installed. Runs well but now I am getting less MPG. Sounds great though. It purrs and then growls on demand. Nicely built with a solid feel.

I used to have Emgos...they were cheap and loud. They came with pilot jets as well but I never installed them. Not as good quality build as the D&DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJmdNKS3Gm0&sns=em

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I just got the "offroad" pipes on my ride. They look exactly like stock pipes, but sound fantastic. Not too obscene, but load enough to be seen.

You mean, loud enough to be "heard". They'd have to be brighter than stock to be "seen" better.

:)

Sinkers

Scooter
Nice movie. I didn't realise how quiet the stock pipes are. When I bought the bike new the dealer told me the TORs would sound great on the Bonnie. I thought he just had a set out the back he was trying to get rid of. Sounds like he was telling the truth. I may look into getting a set of them now.