Engine Swap

Scoot

Hi guys I bought an early carb scrambler last month, on the way home the engine snatched up ! I'd already covered over 150 miles and was 50 miles from home :( I've looked at having the engine rebuilt not had much luck and I don't do main dealers. Does anyone know if a later fuel injection engine will fit my bike if I fit my carbs?
Scoot

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
Scoot, Sorry to hear about your situation! What a bummer! I don't know for sure if a later EFI engine will work or not, but I can't think of any big reason it wouldn't. There are probably years/models that would work better than others. I would anticipate that no matter what, there will be a few challenges to overcome as there always are with these kinds of things.

One thing to keep in mind is that the air-cooled Scrambler engines used the 270º crank, where the other Bonneville/Thruxton models used the 360º crank. You will either need to be OK with that subtle difference or make sure the replacement engine is a 270º. The America and Speedmaster also used the 270º engines.

One source for an engine you could contact and/or watch is rubbersideup.com. I have purchased engines from them with no problems.

You could also have the engine rebuilt to a higher performance level by Bonneville Performance (https://bonnevilleperformance.com/product/high-performance-crate-engines/), by master Triumph mechanic, Bill Gately. Bill would also be the guy to ask about your basic question.

For your reference, I had my 2008 865cc engine rebuilt to an 1100cc engine with the specifications on that web page. It puts out over 100 HP and over 76 ft. lbs. of torque.

You can also read about a 2014 Scrambler project Bill did for a client here: https://bonnevilleperformance.com/2014-scrambler-project/

Attachments

• bill-lining-up-engine.jpg
    bill-lining-up-engine.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 5
  • bonneville-done-testing.jpg
    bonneville-done-testing.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 4
  • 2014-scrambler-1.jpg
    2014-scrambler-1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Scoot

Hi thanks for the info. My problem is I'm in the UK so importing an engine would nearly cost as much as buying the engine!
I would prefer to have my engine upgraded over here if poss so if anyone out there knows of a decent twin engine builder in the UK let me know
Scoot

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
You may want to check out the shipping options with Bill Gately at Bonneville Performance anyway. He builds and delivers his engines to customers all over the world. Also, he may have a suggestion for an engine builder in the UK.