Engine Removal Project

Roger

Street Tracker
the case, crank, pistons and bearings have now all gone back to the line bore shop. I am so disappointed to where this is going . . .

Well. I gotta say, I was not expecting that. This does not sound good at all. My worst guess is that your case halves were distorted to the point of bending the crankshaft when it is all torqued down again. That does not bode well for the Triumph.

Now on the other hand, that 2014 Honda is an awesome looking bike. I like your list of tweaks. Like LMT said, get out and ride :)

Hedge

American Infidel
Hold the Execution!!!!

So I went to Olsen Motors to pick up the case. as you know it was dropped off a 2nd time but this time with the Crank and all 4 sets of color coded bearings. Charlie said that after he measured with the Blue bearings installed, there was zero clearance. He took out the Blue bearings and rechecked his line bore . . . spot on. He re-measured, with all of his own measuring tools (which he said is way more accurate than platigauge), and determined that the white bearings needed to go in. After he put in the White bearings he re-torqued the case to specs and the crank spins freely and easily by hand now! I brought the engine back to the mechanics shop and since he is now short-handed I'm gonna help re-assemble it a week from tomorrow when he returns from vacation. Hoping to bring the rest of the bike down there and just get it running already! :up:
This has turned into a financial disaster . . . but hell, I guess you can always replace money but you can never replace time!

mikenva

Rocker
you should be good to go now about 90% of the time they take the white bearings that's why I keep a set here and start checking with them. If the whites are not right it will be to loose and you can figure from there.

Hedge

American Infidel
Thanks Mike - I am hoping that I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now. However, I am really hating how the bill keeps climbing.

Hey Hedge - Hope things are well. Just was wondering how things are looking with this issue so far? Hopefully we'll hear you'll be riding on her again soon, if not already.

Hedge

American Infidel
Things are not good. I dropped the engine back off at the guys shop to put it back together and it is barely done. Sofar he has $1200 of my money and I spent another $350 with the linebore guy, not to mentionanother $1200 easy inpRts and I basically got nothing. We are now at that familar place that we all know when the engine is held hostage and the guy is askng for a whole lot of money to continue.
We made a deal at $1200. It is not my fault that he is either unfamiliar with the rebuild process of newer engines or he mismanaged his quote. But it is probably time for me to just pick up all the pieces and bring them home. Just a Fucking Horror Show!

D9

Vendor
That completely sucks!!!.. BTDT... not with a Triumph, but still... never will forget
the feeling of having my back against the wall that way. All started
with a blown head gasket... trip to the shop ended up a trip to financial hell!
:(:rant::(

mikenva

Rocker
you payed for the parts and machine work and the guy says 1200 is not enough to build the motor? If so he is fucking nuts.

Hedge

American Infidel
you payed for the parts and machine work and the guy says 1200 is not enough to build the motor? If so he is fucking nuts.

I totally agree with you Mike and thanks for validating what I thought as well. Im going to call him this afternoon or tomorrow.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
This is shit to hear mate. Hope the guy pulls through and keeps good, or you get everything back and a chunk of change. You'll get some garage time with the girl getting her back together, which is a plus, hell probably learn some shit too. keep us posted

jetlink1983

Scooter
Sorry to hear about all the troubles. I feel this thread has taught me so much about my Bonnies engine, so I hope you know how valuable your documentation has been! Hope you get her up and runnin soon!

Hedge

American Infidel
Sorry to hear about all the troubles. I feel this thread has taught me so much about my Bonnies engine, so I hope you know how valuable your documentation has been! Hope you get her up and runnin soon!

Thanks Jet - more info will follow once i get the engine back.

Hedge

American Infidel
So I got a call today and the engine is built. I said i would swing by tomorrow to discuss. When the project was first taken on we agreed on $1200. He has $800 so I will bring another $400 tomorrow. He has offered to finish the job if I bring the bike in. My question is how much $$$ you think to mount the engine, wire it up, etc. for turn key delivery? Anyone?

strokerlmt

Hedge…..this is just a shoot from the hip response not knowing the players….
BUT…seems to me the mechanic is milking this situation…..If it was me I would pay the 1200…say thx and take the engine home….don't pay anymore $$$
You can mount the engine plug in etc yourself…..I have done it 8 times…I can help walk you through it….
Call me if you want tomorrow….805-909-9745 PCT
Best
LMT

Hedge

American Infidel
Thanks Stroke - that helps settle it. In the Spirit of keeping this thread alive I am going to pick the engine up and "Press On" with the "Engine Re-Mounting Project" documenting it with instructions and pictures so that those in the future who might be nervous about their ability to do this will take comfort with this thread knowing that if I can do this as a first timer than they can as well!
Lets Roll!

Hedge

American Infidel
So I went over there and the engine wasn't fully together. Still some stuff to do. We discussed finacials and agreed that the engine project is capped at $1200 nomatter what and he will make it Turn key for another $500 no matter what. Decided it is safer at this point to let him take full ownership of the project so there is no blame on me if something doesnt go right. If I took the engine home and assembled everything and it didnt work he could say I did something and wash his hands of this. Turn key makes himfully responsible should something go wrong. It would be acslam dunk in small claims court.

jetlink1983

Scooter
So I went over there and the engine wasn't fully together. Still some stuff to do. We discussed finacials and agreed that the engine project is capped at $1200 nomatter what and he will make it Turn key for another $500 no matter what. Decided it is safer at this point to let him take full ownership of the project so there is no blame on me if something doesnt go right. If I took the engine home and assembled everything and it didnt work he could say I did something and wash his hands of this. Turn key makes himfully responsible should something go wrong. It would be acslam dunk in small claims court.

Can't speak to the pricing issue but I definitely see where your thinking is. I agree that paying for it to be turn key means exactly that, it better be turn key when it's done. Thanks for the update!

mikenva

Rocker
sorry I didnt get back to you the other day I think you are right.
damn I should start building motors for these bikes for part time money lol.
about 4 to 6 hrs to build one, if you have your chit together.