Engine Removal Project

strokerlmt

All in on parts delivered to my home is $985
Meanwhile Carlos is going to plastigage and then order all bearings for the top and bottom. After the bottm is completed i will find out how much extra to put the block on. Im thinking that i can probably handle checking the valves and should become familiar with the process. Thats it for now![/QUOTE]

Hedge…..1000 for parts seems pretty reasonable actually…..+ Carlos great call + some incredible knowledge = one brand new engine.
Good show…..
LMT

Hedge

American Infidel
Thanks Stroke - you are correct. I went from being scared to do this job to very confident. This has been achrest learning experience.

mikenva

Rocker
I remember that trip!
we need to have another trip like that .How about that crazy guy from ny that lane spilt them old ladies on I81 at about100 mph in front of me lol. God I was waiting on them old ladies to wreck in front of me he scared them so bad lol.
lol hedge is nuts lol got to love him.

Hedge

American Infidel
we need to have another trip like that .How about that crazy guy from ny that lane spilt them old ladies on I81 at about100 mph in front of me lol. God I was waiting on them old ladies to wreck in front of me he scared them so bad lol.
lol hedge is nuts lol got to love him.

Hahaha - I'm not sure it was that bad! Yes - we should all meet up. There is "BritJam" in August up here in CT where they have a 1 day British only Bike show and swap meet. Let me know if you guys want to organize anything. The Rockers are always there . . .

klem

Scooter
Hi Hedge any updates on your motor?
Ive been on the edge of my seat waiting to see how things are going. Will you be posting pics of the rebuild.

Cheers KK

Last edited:

Hedge

American Infidel
Hi Hedge any updates on your motor?
Ive been on the edge of my seat waiting to see how things are going. Will you be posting pics of the rebuild.
Cheers KK
Good morning Klem - I just got all the bearings to the guy who will be doing the plastigage for me. I expect to have the engine back in 2 weeks +/- and then begin the reassembly. This thread will live on !

Some people dig a good book... I simply dig a really good thread.

Its so cool to see the tons of info and comradery in this one. Nice work on making what I think would be a huge undertaking, to be something that might possibly be feasible for me should the challenge ever arise (and lets hope it doesnt for my bike's sake).

Cant wait to see how things turn out with this and I definitely hope there will be a meet of sorts up north, as I would definitely take a trip up to put faces with names.

Good luck, Hedge, and Cheers!

drlapo

Hooligan
Some people dig a good book... I simply dig a really good thread.

Its so cool to see the tons of info and comradery in this one. Nice work on making what I think would be a huge undertaking, to be something that might possibly be feasible for me should the challenge ever arise (and lets hope it doesnt for my bike's sake).

Cant wait to see how things turn out with this and I definitely hope there will be a meet of sorts up north, as I would definitely take a trip up to put faces with names.

Good luck, Hedge, and Cheers!

everyone will be at the Bennington Bash!

Hedge

American Infidel
Engine Update

So continuing on . . .
WE left off where I dropped the engine off at SoloMoto in Greenwich CT in order for the owner Carlos to inspect it for me. He determined that the engine was in excellent condition overall and that just the 2 pumps and 2 plastic gears needed to be replaced. However, being that the engine was completely torn down, it would be silly not to replace all the journal bearings and the Connecting Rod bearings. The ones that came out were the Red colored bearings but as pointed out, that doesn't necessarily mean that you put those same color coded bearings back in. Things change. This said, in order to determine what size bearings go back in you must do the Plastigage and measure the results.

As I could have bet on, with only 10,905 miles on the engine, the measurements did not change when he finished the Plastigage. The Red color coated ones went back in all around. Yes, I could have simply rolled the dice and just put in the Red ones myself, but as pointed out by Mike and Doc, it is a gambol and not really worth it. Well now we know that the correct bearings are in.

I spent $1200 +\- in parts which included the new pumps, gears, all 4 sets of colored bearings (Huge Shout out to Hermy's in PA http://www.hermystriumph.com/ . . . Hermy, Alex from parts & Randy from service, for providing everything I needed and taking the time to talk with me in length to make sure they had all the information needed to provide me with exactly what I needed, with Free S&H and no tax, and also said I can return whatever I don't use for full refund). BTW - they also suggested that I also ordered new Connecting Rod bolts and nuts just in case they were stretched, and a new Ignition sensor switch because under extreme heat like I had, that melted the oil pump gears and fucked up the pumps, the ignition sensor can be damaged. So another $73 on top for that as well.

So I got the call from Carlos that the bottom end of the engine was done and he came in $100 over his original quote of $750, for a total of $850 to do the Plastigage and reassemble the bottom end for me. He said he would assemble the rest of the engine for me for another $200 +/- so I said go ahead. I figured for the extra $200 +/- I might as well let him take ownership over the entire engine so that if something does happen I have full recourse with him.

So the engine will be ready by next weekend +/- and at that point I can decide whether I want to pay him to put it back in the frame and give it back to me turn key or do it myself. Have to see what the cost will be.
As of now I highly recommend that anyone who needs OEM parts order them from Hermy's in PA. They go the extra yard in making sure they fully understand your problem, how best to solve it and supply you with exactly what you need . . . tax free and S&H free and deliver it to you extremely fast!

So far I am very happy with SoloMoto but will save my complete review for after the completion of this job. :c

strokerlmt

Thx for the update…..can't wait for you to turn the key, roll that baby over 3 times and hear her fire up :motorbike2:
LMT

rndtaylor1

Scooter
Fantastic news Hedge.
I have been following closely, and encouaged by your progress.
You have every right to be proud of your work, and I will now really keep an eye on my Bonnie getting hot.

+1 for Hermy's, prompt and efficient.

It's been interesting to follow this story. I'm glad that it had a good outcome.

Hedge, if it hasn't been mentioned already, you might consider installing the Triumph Twin Power starter boss reinforcer widget as insurance against that particular fiasco. It's a well thought-out part, not hard to install if you keep in mind that acetone is your friend to wipe away the excess JB Weld that will wind up inside the starter boss.

Hedge

American Infidel

It's been interesting to follow this story. I'm glad that it had a good outcome.

Hedge, if it hasn't been mentioned already, you might consider installing the Triumph Twin Power starter boss reinforcer widget as insurance against that particular fiasco. It's a well thought-out part, not hard to install if you keep in mind that acetone is your friend to wipe away the excess JB Weld that will wind up inside the starter boss.

Me thinks your pulling my leg, but if there is such a thing we always appreciate pictures and links! ?

mikenva

Rocker

he has a 07 bike should not need that he has the beefed up cases on his motor.