Don't Use the Wife's Good Pot to Boil a Chain

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The title of this thread says it all...

Don't do it as there is no good answer regardless of your rationale...

There will not be a video of cleaning, maintaining and conditioning your chain as production was abruptly ended...

:loser::kick::attn:

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Sheez...I thought everyone knew the dishwasher was where you put the chain for cleaning!!??

Kinda like when you need a nice, flat glass surface to check fork tubes for straightness. Lesseee....hmmmm...this will do:

picture.php

Gotta make sure this sucker is serviceable...

picture.php

Yep....looks good:

picture.php

Glad momma was off teaching yoga and not just in the loo when that went down. The oven and freezer are great tools for various chores as well...

Cheers,

--Rich

Roger

Street Tracker
WOW! You guys have a lot of nerve LOL. I can't believe you got busted boiling a chain Matt. Oh she must have rained scorn down upon you.

I went to stores that resell donated clothes, furniture and get this, cooking items. I got all manner of stainless and aluminum pots, trays, bowls and colanders for washing or cleaning carbs, alternators, starters or a whole collection of nuts, bolts and washers. Biggest problem is storing and disposing of the waste cleaning fluids or oils. I have some left over 5 gallon / 20 liter plastic pails with lids for that.

I even got two LARGE stainless steam trays from a warming table from a restaurant supplier. I happened to drive by as they were disposing of them but that was many years ago. Now everyone keeps their scrap so it might not be as easy as just driving by and finding items like that.

But the glass table trick, that is pretty ballsy too :D

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I say boiling a chain but I put it in a pot on a single plug-in style burner for the garage and basically cook oil into the chain thoroughly (warm oil and not boiling it like making tea). Does wonder on conditioning a chain and makes them last forever. It is wise though to buy your own pot for this operation...

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I actually wanted to try some powder coating but I think I will go hunt for an old oven on ebay...

This old dog CAN still learn a lesson...

rndtaylor1

Scooter
My brothers and I got caught when mom came home early. It was not pretty, but all 3 of us together were unable to convince her that heating exhaust parts in the oven before painting with high temp paint, and then baking the paint on as it dries was actually a good thing.

It just seemed so obvious to us, and still seems logical.

How could a woman so otherwise intelligent not understand this?

We love her anyway.

Brylcreem

Scooter
Really your ladies should be happy that you have taken an interest and spend time in the kitchen, never happy are they.

Oxblood

750cc
This is called daddy daycare. My daughter is 7 months and it's cold outside so the bike comes in for wiring.

1462810_10152593078467012_4910680045890827144_o.jpg

Last edited:

squidsix

Scooter
I have done no shortage of kitchen-counter gunsmithing. Hard to get it all cleaned up before she comes home from shopping...

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Burned up her best hair dryer, those things are expensive ;-)))) I am a reformed tupperware thief.
LMT

That's a good point...my wife has actually gave up on the Tupperware battle believe it or not. Perhaps that is why she held the line so sternly when I ventured into pots & pans territory...

mtnbandit

Scooter
Boiling a chain

In 1964, long before the advent of X-ring and O-ring chains, I took the chain off my 1964 Norton Atlas, heated grease on the kitchen stove, put the chain in, stirred it together then hung the chain, in the garage to cool.
All was well until "the little woman" got home and smelled the odor of heated grease throughout the entire house. Well needless to say I never again baked a chain in the house. It did work well on those old style chains though.
Brent