Complete Thruxton rear set options

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Hi all,

I am looking at my options for replacement rear sets for my thruxton and want to replace the entire footpeg/levers/outrigger assembly with lighter and - preferably - a slightly more relaxed riding geometry.

The only rear sets I've come across that replace the stock outriggers are the Norman Hyde offering. Most of the rest seem to simply bolt their mounting plates on top of the stock outrigger. Me no like that. Anyone know of another maker that sells the full monty?

Thanks,

--Rich

Flaco

750cc
Hey Rich,

I just got a set of NH rearsets and they do require the use of the stock out riggers…

I even went to my CNC guy to cut some out riggers in 6061 for the same reason your looking for…

Wouldn't do it due to liability reasons…

(I need a BIG shop w/ Big tools!)

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Allin,

The NH thruxton kit is different than the bonnie ones...

Bonnie:
picture.php

Thruxton:
picture.php

Of course, there's an extra $100 in price to account for the outriggers...

A guy over on the other forum pointed me in the direction of these bad boys:

229465754.jpg

These are by Discacciati and come in at the same cost as the NH offering. Decisions, decisions. Gotta sell stuff before pulling the trigger on anything, though.

Cheers,

--Rich

Last edited:

Flaco

750cc
Oh! Now I see! NH "Thruxton" rear sets w/ outriggers! Bad ass is right!
I want aluminum out riggers for my mid sets.…
It could happen…
When, who, where and how many dead presidents?

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Why wouldn't the NH thruxton controls work on your bike? The m/c is up under the sidecover like you currently have on your set-up. The footpeg locations also look about the same as what you already have going.

You'd have to get a thruxton shifter arm for the trans, but the rest should work provided you no longer have the stock, kinked header pipes...

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Gotcha. From your first post I thought you were running the NH rearsets in Pic 1 above...

Frankly, my knees are bitching about the stock thruxton rearsets. I might have to come up with my own setup that uses modified stock outriggers and the LSL relaxed postion rear sets:

http://www.spieglerusa.com/rearsets-4971.htm

If you go to the link, you'll see that the footpeg is located just behind/between the outrigger bolts...which is 1.5" further forward & almost 1/2" lower than the stock thruxton footpeg.

Regards,

--Rich

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
I had to do the same this year, i was riding the Thruxton for an hour or so at a time and that's just not enough
i went with an LSL top clamp and bars with std Bonnie foot pegs
I'm riding it more now

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Possible new option for more a more forward foot control position on thruxtons...scrambler rearsets by norman hyde:

http://greyhogs.com/bcc069.htm

As you can see, the footpeg is in advance and below the outrigger bolts...my best guess is that this position is at least 2.5" forward and maybe an inch lower than the stock thruxton peg location. One nice feature is that the rear M/C stays behind the heel guard...a second is that it replaces the heavy-ass stock outrigger backing plates with alloy units.

I've had a conversation with Mike about whether the NH scrambler rearsets will work on the thruxton. Mike posed the question to NH about these fitting thruxtons and they couldn't give a specific answer. Anyone knowing anything about their fitment on a thruxton, please chime in.

Cheers,

--Rich

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Update!!!!

Pulled the trigger on the more relaxed scrambler footpeg controls for my machine....here's the link:

http://bellacorse.com/shop/parts-for-triumph/chassis/norman-hyde-rearsets-for-scrambler/

As can be seen on Racedweeb's website, the controls sit forward and below the frame mounting bolts for the outriggers. Stock thruxton rearsets sit above and behind these mounting bolts. All in all, the pegs end up about 2.5" forward and 1" lower than a stock thruxton.

The shifting side bolts right on without issue. The throw on the shifter is quite a bit longer than stock, but that vague feeling is something that will fade with time. Or this can be resolved by modifying the stock thruxton shifter shaft arm - which is quite a bit shorter than the piece supplied by Norman.

The braking side is more of a challenge and requires purchase of the upper outrigger off a scrambler or, as I elected to do, purchase of the right hand side alloy outrigger from Norman's Thruxton rearset kit (Norman Hyde part no. 1338) at an additional cost of £48.50. I've not resolved the brake light switch/brake line yet and that may have its own foibles. Photos to follow once the alloy outrigger arrives and I've gotten the kit sorted.

Cheers,

--Rich

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I swapped my Thruxton rearsets for a set of std Bonneville controls
everything bolted straight on

Yeah, that is also an option for those looking to get comfy. The bonnie pegs were further forward and lower than I wanted...these controls are roughly 1/2 way between the bonnie and the thruxton.

And there was also the fact that I wanted to keep my stock thruxton foot controls until I was sure about the swap and the stock bonnie bits run upward of $650 for the necessary bits...

Cheers,

--Rich