clutch instal hack!! myth busted!!!

ttbonnie

Scooter
So i've upgraded to a barnet clutch and through the instal i have found a couple of tips that can ease the process.

there are many videos and tutorials out there, so i will keep it short.

1. cordless driver/ impact gun:
removes and replaces center nut without issue- in nano seconds... however i would still use torque wrench to check final tension. using the step on the rear break method

**note you can definitely put it on too tight with an electric impact gun.

2. the dreadful release plate!!!
if you've done this with or with out the factory tool - you know what i am talking about. however i will sum it up-

myth
if this plate is not "tightened down" evenly and at the same rate you will never get the push rod seat to function.
this seat has to slide in and out unobstructed. if the plate is "crooked" it will stick and not move...

I didn't have the factory tool and watched a couple of videos from a few gents that had did a great job giving a tutorial and began the painstaking process of slowly tightening these screws down 1/2 turn by 1./2 turn... then 1/4 turn by 1/4 turn.
(as part of both the factory and DIY specks, the push rod must slide in and out easily)

after a couple of attempts i realized two key factors.
the Torque specks for all four bolts are the same (9 NM)
and its spring loaded so the plate is essentially floating.

so i tightened all 4 bolts progressively ( but as quickly as possible) to 9 NM -

placed the plate in, and with a pair of needle nose pliers spread apart, i placed them between the clutch housing and release plate and nudged the plate to center.. up, left, right down etc.... until the push rod freely slid in and out-

done
you can see which way you must move the plate by the feel of where it is getting snagged.

DISCLAIMER
sooooo- with that said, i havent started my bike yet, as i am still putting her back together- however functions check is the same.

although it was done "easily" without factory tools- i plan on buying a service set because i feel it will be hassle free work in the future- and i hope to keep this bike long enough to have to use them repeatedly.