Cheap HiDef Camcorder

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Guys, I have been looking around for a cheapie camcorder -maybe you all know about this already, but I found this camera on the RC plane forums - for the price this thing rocks!!

keychain-spy-camera_2.jpg

$13.95, free shipping....I just ordered another. I have nothing at all to do with this except I want to post some cool riding vids and I want you guys to do the same.

keychaincamera

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115052

The forum rules are no links to ads, but I got the good version (the #3) 720i with audio for $13.95 from a vendor in NY who was super fast.I can give you the link, its fleabay... if you PM me I will give you the link. Again, I have nothing to gain from this but seeing your vids on the forum.....You do have to buy a micro SD card for it, I got a big one for $10 at radio shack.

I don't really have a good video to show you yet because I am using it for aerial photography The camera is mounted in my plane right now. ....I will post a video tomorrow. I fooled around with it, its not a GOPRO of course, but its less than $15.

* on second thought, I do have vid, first try - snowboarding yesterday, freezing cold, harsh bright light, had no mount was just holding it in my hand, shaky, following my buddy down a trail - I doubt riding a bike could be worse for a camera.....by the way the youtube vid is lower quality than the camera made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlHE1Ugcvz8

I used it inside with my kids and the quality was amazing.

Last edited:

dschief

750cc
Sal, aside from the fact you were snow boarding, which requires mucho body movement, the video was really good! I'm sold.

Pete R

Banned
After reading Sal's thread on this I picked up a couple for 10 bucks each (plus postage) off evilbay.
For ten bucks it's pretty damn good - wobbly over bumps but then it was taped straight to the headlight. I might try some foam or sponge rubber under it next time. I might put a bit over the microphone to try and cut down on the "crackle".
I've uploaded it so you can have a squizz -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Y-4z5NJh8

Thanks for the headsup Sal!:up:

msc66

Two Stroke
After reading Sal's thread on this I picked up a couple for 10 bucks each (plus postage) off evilbay.
For ten bucks it's pretty damn good - wobbly over bumps but then it was taped straight to the headlight. I might try some foam or sponge rubber under it next time. I might put a bit over the microphone to try and cut down on the "crackle".
I've uploaded it so you can have a squizz -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Y-4z5NJh8

Thanks for the headsup Sal!:up:

Hey Pete, did you decide to live there because of those roads. That's some good riding there. Hey, what exhaust do you have?

Pete R

Banned
Hey Pete, did you decide to live there because of those roads. That's some good riding there. Hey, what exhaust do you have?

Yeah it's not bad eh? :D Bloody steep on the way down, it's about a 1500' drop to the shops. That run is just 5 minutes of my 25 minute ride to work - shit it's a hassle!
The exhausts are Predators - it's a sweet sound, like the Gods decending from Asgaard :D

Pete R

Banned
YIKES!!! You were driving on the wrong side of the road.... Thank goodness the oncoming cars decided to drive on the wrong side too that day.

:p

That first one had me worried for a bit...

mark66

TT Racer
Hey Pete, if that's somewhere between the Putty and the Bells then it's damn nice riding there. Nice vid.....I enjoyed the ride down the "hill".

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Pete,

Nice video, conditions here in NY have been so horrible that my few video attempts have been the result of sticking my head out between blizards. I would love a chance to actually get outside and try it to film something besides snow. For $10, everyone should be able to post a video.

mark66

TT Racer
Just ordered one but the free shipping will take over 2 weeks.....but that's OK cause the Bonnie won't be out of hibernation for longer than that. I need a lot of snow to melt before I can get it out and around the house.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Here is a short quick tutorial on how to set the time and date. Its actually really simple, but I had to read half the internet and most of it bull shit before I got it.

When the camera turns on it first looks at the SD card for the time/date. It is looking for a file call tag.txt. It sets the time from this file then deletes it. After that it keeps time itself. So - make a text file, call it tag.txt Here is mine, of course you will edit yours for the current time and date.

[date]
2011/02/26
08:05:00

You need to put tag.txt on the SD card.

I can put my SD card right into a slot in my computer, and it works like any other disk. Alternately, you could plug the camera in and use the browser function. However you do it , you just need to save tag.txt to your SD card ( in the root, or first window that opens) then just pop the card back in the camera turn it on and it should do the rest automatically. I had to try it a few times, had a minor gitch - I think I had to set the file type to western or something but it was pretty simple. You just have to get the file tag.txt onto the SD card . Once you get it, the whole thing should take you 2 minutes.

Sal

Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, i bit the bullet and ordered one..... from Hong Kong with a mini sims card included. I sure hope the instructions are in english.

Kframe

Street Tracker
I got mine in the mail Thursday from a US vendor, $12.99 delivered!

Had some time to play with it a bit today, the 'translated' instructions are laughable, but after a bit I figured out the controls. Pretty decent video outside, it has trouble with the exposure/white-balance with all the snow around, but in the summer I think it'll be fine.

The still camera mode is pretty sucky, but who cares, the video is better than I expected for my investment!

I think at some point I'll open it up and rig auxiliary power to it, but for now it's pretty cool!
-K

Kframe

Street Tracker
Well, i bit the bullet and ordered one..... from Hong Kong with a mini sims card included. I sure hope the instructions are in english.

"Happy ownership achieved be will with glorious commands of camera yours with button pressing long time video saved; select, none waiting!"
:huh:
-K