Chain length, pitch.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Well my chain has finally had it. It started giving me trouble on a 1300 mile trip I did from Seattle to Missoula, figured I could at least get through the year on it. . .I was wrong. Riding this week the bike is surging when it hits a tight spot in the chain. I can't adjust it properly either, the rest of the chain is too loose, unless I position it at the kink, then it's way too tight. I will say the EK MVXZ chains are pretty awesome. This has lasted 7-8 years and i'd wager around 35k miles with some lapses of actual cleaning.

The real question is, what is our chain length in links and the pitch? If I remember correctly it's a 525 pitch, and 120 links, but I've been wrong before.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
That'll work, but make sure it comes with a master link and you have a chain breaker & rivet tool. Stock sprockets take a 104 link chain I believe...but not sure. I no longer run a 525 chain or stock gearing!!!

Texas94fs

Hooligan
That'll work, but make sure it comes with a master link and you have a chain breaker & rivet tool. Stock sprockets take a 104 link chain I believe...but not sure. I no longer run a 525 chain or stock gearing!!!

THANKS! Yeah looks like I'll be buying some tools to do the job. I thought about going to a 520 chain and sprockets but due to the honda wheels and sprockets and whatnot it seems easier to just leave it at 525. Now just to toy with what changes i might want to make for teeth on my sprockets! I want the elusive 6th gear, but I also like hooliganism around town. BAH!

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I also run a 520 chain w/ my CBR wheels...there are plenty of conversion kits out there for both the hondas and our bikes, but in my case I ordered the correct rear sprocket for the honda 520 kit and the front sprocket from the triumph 520 kit. I'm running 17/41 gearing.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I'm still running 18-43 i really like the around town performance, but on the highway a tiny bit more would be nice. maybe I'll go with a 42 rear just to get a little more.

How're you liking your setup around town rbirkey? Still enough pop? I have a lot of headwork, 904, cams, and FCRs so I'm thinking I'd likely still enjoy the hell out of it with a moderate change to decreasing cruising RPMs.

beemerrich. . . .holy shit I bet that thing has trouble keeping the front end down round town!

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
The 18/42 setup is great for around town with an 1100cc race engine putting out 104HP and 76 ft.lbs. of torque. It's designed to rev much higher than stock so I take it up to 5K-6K regularly and it is still pulling. Before I had the race engine, I had a mild performance 865 and I used 18/43 around town and 19/42 or 43 for long highway trips.
http://triumphbonneville.org/british-customs-19-tooth-front-sprocket-conversion/
http://triumphbonneville.org/rebel-gears-rear-sprocket/
Hope this helps.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
17/41 is nice...a bit steeper than stock and pretty much equivalent to adding one tooth in back. My thruxton is still 865, but with cams, carbs, and 8,600 rpm limiter. It'll still go over 125 mph w/o running out of revs and the slightly steeper gears make it pull harder getting there. I'd probably be running taller gears if I was displacing bigger....

Texas94fs

Hooligan
17/41 is nice...a bit steeper than stock and pretty much equivalent to adding one tooth in back. My thruxton is still 865, but with cams, carbs, and 8,600 rpm limiter. It'll still go over 125 mph w/o running out of revs and the slightly steeper gears make it pull harder getting there. I'd probably be running taller gears if I was displacing bigger....

Thanks for the post, honestly I think I'm going to go 18/42 from 18/43. I know it's a tiny change, but IIRC the rule of thumb is 2 teeth on the rear = 1 in the front, or somewhat close. It'll give me a tiny bit more punch around town, on corner exits, and won't raise my cruise speed rev's over much.