Cat removal

drlapo

Hooligan
Is anyome offering a "pipe" to install in place of the cat on the new thruxton?
It looks like a simple X pipe could be substituted or a "box"
This could mimic the Dunstall 2 into 1 into 2 system.
It should be made of stainless steel and would sell for $300.
Should increase torque and improve the sound.

If you look on page 107 of the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" picture thread, he just posted pics of his highly modified Bonneville (blue/red with what looks like a chromed featherbed frame). So he's a member of this community as well.

drlapo

Hooligan
So its already been done.
But Will the replacement piece be made commercially available by someone in the USA?
We'll need to wait and see. An interweb search doesn't find anything yet

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm not expecting a large difference in sound volume but I am hoping for more"quality"
Lots of chatter by the"experts" on triumph rat about the need to remap
Both the manufacturer and my dealer say it is not neccessary
the X pipe appears to be of good quality. stainless steel, neat welds, stainless steel brackets. It will support the head pipes just like the original does.
waiting for a rainy day as it looks like a tedious installation

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
I did the swap yesterday. It took more than 4 hours and was a bit fiddly. not technically challenging, just time consuming. There were a few bolts that were very difficult to reach and undo. not impossible just "fiddly".
the cat is a stainless steel box with two inlets and two outlets. the inlets dump into an open chamber. The inlet pipes are partially restricted by a perforated tube so the gases are forced through a series of holes like a muffler baffle. the gases pass through a honeycomb structure about 5 inches long and exit into another open chamber with two outlet pipes. right angle turns are needed to enter and exit the cat. the outlets lead to the twin silencers.
the X pipe also has two inlets but they lead individually to curved pipes. the two curved pipes are joined, welded together and the adjoining wall s are removed to make a cross over .the replacement pipe is much lighter and the exhaust path appears to be much smoother with no right angle turns like in the cat.
the installation went well, everything lined up and no leaks.
all gaskets were reused.
there is a very slight increase in sound volume and the tone remains deep. it is not raspy like many aftermarket silencers and the overall tone remains that of a gentleman's motorcycle.
performance? don't know yet as it is still raining.
the manufacturer claims +8hp

drlapo

Hooligan
it works!
I rode 100 miles with the new X pipe and I did notice a difference.
there is a slight increase in sound volume and a bit more bass in the note.
the overall exhaust tone is deeper but not raspy or annoying. this is not the mod to make if you want Harley like noise.
it does however make more power or at least is makes smoother power in the lower portion of the rev range.. the power seems to be smoother and quicker off idle and the bike
pulls very smoothly. the idle itself is unchanged.
I don't know if it makes more hp as I'm busy staying upright whenever I give it some stick.
there is a little rumble on the overrun but no popping or banging.
I see no reason to change the stock silencers on this bike

AandJCycles

Vendor
Dr. Lapo, thanks for the update on your install. These have been selling very well. For anyone concerned, we have seen dyno results that show the ECU compensating for the cat delete. actually HP gain for cat delete alone was 4HP. With their air intakes, it was 8.5 HP. Pretty impressive.