Carbed Bonneville at altitude

Ninja K

Two Stroke
Was thinking of riding my bike up to Big Bear because it seems like a fun ride. Is there anything I should expect with my carbed bike at 7-8K foot elevation?

Also, if anyone in So Cal has done this ride, I'd love to hear about it.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I had some severe altitude changes when I did Hokkaido and I run a carb'd Bonnie. She'll pop a little on you with the higher elevation but nothing to sweat over. Throw a leg over her, ride it and enjoy every mile! :D

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Been up to 11,000 feet on mine and riding around at 5,000 feet all the time no problem. The CVs do their job. Of course you lose a bit of HP, but everything does.

Ninja K

Two Stroke
I had some severe altitude changes when I did Hokkaido and I run a carb'd Bonnie. She'll pop a little on you with the higher elevation but nothing to sweat over. Throw a leg over her, ride it and enjoy every mile! :D

Sweet! Gonna plan this now.. I'm assuming having no airbox and predators probably helps eh?

If you are going to try riding at altitude, you better bring a parachute.

Haha well, I live near the coast and ride at about sea level most of the time so anything above 100 feet is considered altitude to me!

Been up to 11,000 feet on mine and riding around at 5,000 feet all the time no problem. The CVs do their job. Of course you lose a bit of HP, but everything does.

Awesome thanks!

geolpilot

Street Tracker
At altitude, generally refers to being above the ground, as in an airplane. Elevation generally refers to the height of the ground above sea level. If you machine is properly tuned for sea level, it will be running very rich at 5000 and above because there is a lot less oxygen. When I take off in my plane at high altitude airports when the weather is hot, the plane probably would not take off if I had not leaned the mixture in advance. That is why airplanes have mixture controls. You have to adjust for your altitude. The bike will probably work ok, but it would run much better if it was jetted for the elevation.

Rode my Bonnie from sea level in Texas to 10,000 feet in Flagstaff, and all in between. It kinda ran weak and farty, but it ran just fine. You'll be ok :D

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Sweet! Gonna plan this now.. I'm assuming having no airbox and predators probably helps eh?

Nope...I have predators on the way but just using good old fashioned TORs right now. I am not a big advocate of slicing up the airbox for my bikes. I ride in all kinds of weather and I go with Triumph's flavor on how it should get air. I'm not looking to make a track bike, just a bike that will go and sound good doing it. To each their own though. I wouldn't worry about the elevation factor especially if this is a trip...like others have said, you will notice a difference but nothing to interrupt your ride. I have been riding in Japan for a little bit now and I have pretty big elevation differences each time I go out the gate and no problems so far...twist and go! These bikes are made to ride the shit out of them.

This Sat. I rode from 280 ft to over 7000 ft. My "butt dyno" didn't feel any difference, although I'm sure there was. Just ride it, it's a good bike.