Can we strip our tanks to bare metal?

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Hello people. I'm thinking of stripping a fuel tank to bare metal and polishing it and clearcoating it. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or how stock tanks look beneath the paint e.g. lots of ugly welds etc? Details of what's involved?

Your help is appreciated.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
It's different looking for sure - South Bay has done it to some of their bikes with a swirly brushed finish. I stripped mine to bare metal when I repainted - other than the seam at the bottom - it looked very good in terms of being smooth. If your good with a hammer you can beat the seam around the tank flat - I did this on a wrecked tank with very good success. It does get a little tricky around the front of the tank where the curve is to fit over the frame. You must repaint after a seam beating though as the paint cracks and chips.

I have a buddy w/ a custom HD that runs a "bare" tank, but he did a powdercoat clearcoat job on it. It looks pretty good.

Rockers CT

Banned
I am planning on doing that to a second thruxton tank I have... I want thepolished steel/aluminum look.... I am going to have a friend sand blast it clean and before I polish it... Ill tell you how it turns out...

here's my buddy's sporty w/ the powderclear tank, he said he's had it for a year or better and it still looks good.

lonestarroundup4-08157.jpg

lonestarroundup4-08007.jpg

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Thanks guys. Sweat, never heard of powderclear - any idea what's involved? That's what I'm after, only without the swirl pattern.

it's a powdercoat, just like any other, but it's clear.

You finish the tank to your liking; polished, swirled, engine turned, whatever, then powder and bake the tank.

SCL18

Two Stroke
Damn...you guys need to stop giving me ideas.

If someone does this to a bonnie post a ton of pics.

Skinthead

Two Stroke
Engine turned....hmmmmmmm....interesting idea for sure....hmmmmmm.....with some gold leaf work to replace the factory emblems......hmmmmmmmm. Daddy likey....hmmmmm

Skint

L Train

Scooter
Wow, John that's crazy cool. Its like hi-tech gator skin. Got any pics of that installed on the bonnie? I'm curious to see the whole package.

L Train

Skinthead

Two Stroke
Thats all I could find on that guys site - but he does really good work.

No doubt you pay highly for his patience. Any of you tried doing engine turning to anything with a large surface before? I can tell you first hand you better have the patience of a GOD! It is not fast, and gets pretty messy. Lots of lapping compound......

Skint

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Frank, that would be cool, but your bike is already perfect. I had it as my computer wallpaper for weeks!

Thanks funkyman. I'm thinking of the tank on my other bike.

These are very interesting pics guys. A painter suggested I try chrome paint, but I'm not too keen on making something look like it's something it isn't (that's why I've stripped off any plastic made to look like metal on my Bonneville.

I think I'll be aiming for a non-decorative industrial look. Y'know, reminiscent of old bikes. Kind of in between polished aluminium and brushed steel. I was thinking of getting the tank bead blasted and if it looks ok underneath the paint then polishing/ wire wool and clearcoating.

Skinthead

Two Stroke
I don't think you are gonna find ugly seams under the paint. The tanks look like whole pressings, not halves welded together....

What you are suggesting woudl look cool as hell! i like the look of fresh blasted steel!

Skint

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Ta Skint. Yes. I'm hoping for something resembling an aluminium tank but not as shiney or pretty. A bit more Nautilus maybe...