Bonnie being a bitch

cynr1023

TT Racer
So, 07 bonnie black. Turn key, idiot lights go on, push start button and everything shuts off. I can wait 5 minutes and it'll start up fine, sometimes I have to wait longer sometimes shorter. Any thoughts, other than the obvious, "it's electrical"?

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
Wow, that's really unusual! How old is your battery? Sounds like maybe it is on the edge of not producing enough power to turn the engine over. I'd check it's voltage level after it has been sitting overnight. It should be at 13V+. If it is lower, it may be holding enough to turn on lights but not enough to turn the engine over. Just a thought.

Only he states "I can wait 5 minutes and it'll start up fine, sometimes I have to wait longer sometimes shorter." though I wouldn't rule out the battery, but it doesn't sound like symptom of a low battery. I'd think if the battery were low, you'd get the usual clicking noise, then nothing.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Shortly after I finished installing all the go fast bits, i had an intermittent problem as you describe. I was terrified I had junked the new motor bits.

Turns out it was the regulator/rectifier taking its sweet time to shit the bed completely.

bonZa

Street Tracker
first thing is to clean the battery posts. maybe something as simple as a poor connection

cynr1023

TT Racer
Battery is about a year old, posts are clean. Just got done cleaning and checking all connections. Can't find my multimeter, probably still at my wife's house. Going through a divorce so I'm limited on resources. I'm charging the battery just to verify that it's good, don't think it's that. Most likely will order a rectifier. Thanks for the ideas. Sometimes ya just need a think tank to bounce ideas off of.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I had to replace my Regulator Rectifier early this year as was not getting full charge to the battery and at first thought it was just a flat battery even though only a year old. eventually found that the old RR was delivering less than 12 Volts at 1200 RPM plus. bought a new one from Ricks and all good since

cynr1023

TT Racer
looks like the battery totally crapped out on me. Going to replace that and see what else is going on. Had the bike on a jack, right after posting the original message, and my shoe lace got wrapped around the release lever, bike ended up on it's side. Really ticked, just picked the bike up and took a break so I didn't lose my temper. Now to find a battery.

cynr1023

TT Racer
so got new battery in, turns over, no starting, while i was waiting on the battery I pulled the air filters and cleaned them, now they refuse to go on. Every time I pull them they get harder and harder to put back on, anyone else having this problem or am I just an idiot?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
so got new battery in, turns over, no starting, while i was waiting on the battery I pulled the air filters and cleaned them, now they refuse to go on. Every time I pull them they get harder and harder to put back on, anyone else having this problem or am I just an idiot?

I mean, we weren't going to say anything.

of the 3 sets of filters I've owned, my K&Ns were most prone to that, my two sets of uni filters haven't really had that issue. OF course they were never exactly easy to get on in the first place.

Sounds like you might've had a few electrical gremlins gang up on you. I'm really thinking its rectifier, all the symptoms you have described and the charging the battery etc etc are exactly what I went through, to the letter. I think I found mine for about 75 bucks and it plugged right in. But for fucks sake i cant remember the name of the company. it was just someones name IIRC.

cynr1023

TT Racer
I'll have to wait until payday to get a rectifier, it started right up with the new battery but I'll change the rectifier just in case, last thing i want is to get stranded at work an hour from home.

fender

Street Tracker
I just picked up a new moset based one from rick's motor sports. Send me a pm with your address and I'll ship you my old one. I went with then new one since those are cooler running as I'm in the process of relocating it to the battery box to clean up the front of the bike.

FYI mine is from a 05 Bonnie.

I just picked up a new moset based one from rick's motor sports. Send me a pm with your address and I'll ship you my old one. I went with then new one since those are cooler running as I'm in the process of relocating it to the battery box to clean up the front of the bike.

FYI mine is from a 05 Bonnie.

Nice offer, but probably not a good idea.