Bleeding the Brakes

Hedge

American Infidel
Another fine write-up from Uzidzit!

Ok first go get the vacuum at auto zone
now remove the caliper that is on the short side and put a shim between the pads thicker than the disc. And hang it as low as it will go.

I know this sounds weird but bear with me here

now suck as much air as you can get out of the line on this caliper with the vac.
the long tube side bleeder must be closed, you are not pumping the lever.

Now leave it hanging, and suck as much air out of the mounted long side as you can get.

remount the short hose caliper

now repeat the sucking procedure the short side first, then the long side
(yes I know this is backwards from the book, trust me here)

now you should be able to get a little pressure built up, by pumping the lever

now if you cannot get pressure yet vac bleed the long side, then the short side.

you should be able to bleed the long side normally now, when you get as much pressure built as you can repeat on the short side, you will have to alternate long to short several times to get the air out.

Now if it feels pretty good but not quite there bungee the lever overnight and repeat the bleed the next day.

If it is still spongy remove the calipers and clean the pistons and either replace the seals and dust shields, or if they look really good when you remove them flip them over, now repeat the above and you should have brakes.

The dirt on the pistons in the caliper when you push them back in for the pad change can break the seal and allow air back into the caliper when the lever is released this is super common on Nissan calipers read(Honda). This is the cause of spongy brakes on the bonnie after pad changes. All bike calipers are afflicted with this to a degree because of the poor dust shielding.

Ps if your brakes go a little spongy after a while and bleeding them does not bring them back do the caliper clean it will work

Another thing that really causes us problems with bike brakes is the small volume of the master cylinder this would be much easier with a larger volume unit but then the lever pressure would go up a lot so it is a trade off.

Last edited:
I think UZI wrote that. If you notice he said "now remove the caliper that is on the short side " he was referring to my bonnie w/ the sv front end (and dual discs).

the stock bike only has one caliper....