BiLT Trackstar Boot Review...

RumRunner

Street Tracker
So I’ve been looking for a new pair of riding boots for a year or so… I enjoy wearing my work boots because they’re comfy, and give me a level of protection over that of some other boots, and sneakers but they have their issues. For me they look like #!$%, and they’re a PITA to get on and off lacing them up. So earlier this year I went in to a local Cycle Gear and they had their BiLT line Trackstar boots on sale for $99.00. Seemed like a good deal, but I was heading out of town to the Maggie Valley Rally and didn’t make it over to get them, and didn’t want to spend the $139.99 that they wanted for them. Well I get an email from them about two weeks ago and find out that they’re on sale again for $69.99 so I figured I’d go check them out.

So here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- Price!!! For the cost of a pair of sneakers, you can’t beat these.
- Ease of use. With Velcro and a zipper they are a snap to get on and off.
- Protection, a ton more than my work boots or sneakers
- Grip. Surprisingly much more grip than I thought they would have had.
- Comfort. These boots are actually much more comfy than I would have thought for getting off the bike and grabbing a bite to eat and what not.
- They come with a 5 year guarantee. Doesn’t cover normal wear and tear, but the guy said if I have any issues just bring them in and they’ll swap them out.

Cons:
- While they are called “Trackstar” and have replaceable sliders they really aren’t track gear. But for the price who cares.
- They do run a touch small (short) and they only over them in full sizes… So I bought about a ½ size larger than normal and I was good to go.
- The upper calf portion doesn’t get as tight as I’d like, but the lower portion is adjusts as well as my other boots (actually better)

Overall, for everyday riding these boots are a phenomenal investment, and I would recommend them to anyone for daily riding or playing in the twisties. No they won’t give you the village people look some guys like, and they’re not a true Racer boy boot… That said they are great for what they are.

Cheers,
RumRunner

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about getting these boots also. I have my Sidi Vortices that I use for the track that is total overkill for these and I have regular GBX boots that I wear for the riding that are really more for style than function.

How is it in regards to ankle protection? Partifularly ankle roll? Does it have a plate to protect the point ankle bones also? Are they comfortable enough to walk around the mall or market...comfortable enough where you can walk around in doing errands?

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about getting these boots also. I have my Sidi Vortices that I use for the track that is total overkill for these and I have regular GBX boots that I wear for the riding that are really more for style than function.

How is it in regards to ankle protection? Partifularly ankle roll? Does it have a plate to protect the point ankle bones also? Are they comfortable enough to walk around the mall or market...comfortable enough where you can walk around in doing errands?

Protection wise:

- Hard case toe
- Replaceable Slider
- Hard case around heal
- Hard Protectors around each ankle
- Hard Protector on shin

Ankle roll wise they're about the same as my 7 hole work boots, but since they come up my calf some I'd say just a touch better before you add in the additional protection. They're not Race boots that's for sure, but pretty good for what they are.

I'm honestly not sure for walking around just yet. I wore them around the house for about an hour to "break in" a little, and have worn them when I've got off the bike to go into a few stores, fill up, and get lunch a few times but not more than 20 minutes or so on my feet. So far I'd have to say they'd fit the bill no problem but can't say 100%. If you have a cycle gear near you I'd say go try on a pair as I think they are well worth the cost of a decent dinner.

Hope this helps.

Doug

oldmanjob

Scooter
My son Jon just purchased a pair and he had to go down a size. He likes them very much and they are really starting to break in:woot: A good boot for the price. And yes they are not track boots but work well as he thrashes his Busa through the twisties of Western NC. :motorbike2:

Bill