Back Home

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Mrs Wobbly and I have completed our 6 month roadtrip around Australia and are back in a proper house again. Travelled 21,000 kms and saw most of the country except Western Australia (next trip). Our Subaru never skipped a beat, only required a new battery in Port Augusta, South Aust, four new tyres in Melbourne and a service there as well. A new set of electric brakes on the caravan (trailer) was the only other mechanical problems we had.
A fantastic trip for both of us and if anyone's interested, the link to my blog is: http://clarodsroadtrip2010.blogspot.com/

My computer crashed in Tassie as result of a corrupt file on my C Drive which meant performing a "recovery" which resulted in me losing much data. Luckily I had all my photos, music etc stored on a separate external hard drive.
I am almost back to normal which is more than I can say for some of you guys. Shit, I turn my back for a minute and some of you have "fallen over". BB's had a massive OFF, LMT's f..cked up his eye, articsea's selling his bike and I haven't read all the back posts yet. Bloody hell men, you'll have to harden up a little here.
Seriously, I genuinely hope you'll get back on your collective feet again soon.

Lach, I'll PM you soon to catch up on all the latest. Hope you're on the mend.

During our travels in Tasmania, I managed to catch up with NBR forum memberfishonline in Hobart. Thanks for a great night, Fish & Barb. Great meal and the Shiraz went down well too. Sorry I didn't get back to you over Xmas but when the missus got back from Sydney, we went bush, exploring the rainforests and lakes of Tassie. I lost your mobile number when my laptop crashed. Hope you guys had a good Xmas and New Year.

Haven't actually finished unpacking yet and our garage is chockers with our daughter's entire household furniture which means my Bonnie is hidden away down the back of the garage and I can't even see it, let alone get to it.

Great to be back but I'm already planning the next trip.
Cheers,
Wob

D9

Vendor
Wobbly... I'm knocked out by the pics...! Wow! Quite a journey through some spectacular landscapes... thanks for posting... recommend all to take a browse through, you will not
be disappointed... keep telling myself I gotta get to Australia / New Zealand someday!

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Glad you guys enjoyed browsing the blog. It's kinda hard NOT to take a nice photo at some of the locations we visited as they were so beautiful. Unfortunately the camera doesn't capture the true beauty of the Aussie bush, especially the rainforest. Same with any country I guess. Ya just gotta be there!
Sal, Clare and I were very lucky. We avoided, firstly the floods in Southern Queensland and then the cyclone in North Qld. We came down the centre of the continent on the Stuart Hwy from Darwin and when we got to the Three Ways near Tennant Creek we made a decision NOT to head east on the Barkly Hwy to Cairns and Townsville, but head south to Adelaide, Melbourne and then across the Bass Strait to Tasmania. If we HAD gone across to the the north coast of Qld., we would have copped the floods and possibly the cyclone. Some of the towns we passed through, like Emerald, Jericho and Longreach in July and August on our way north, were inundated in the January floods.
I had to laugh when I saw Oprah Winfrey bitchin' about the chopper pissing off to re-fuel while she and her entourage were climbing to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. What would she have said if she had landed on the Great Barrier Reef just as Cyclone Yasi arrived and her hotel flew away from under her butt.
Extremes of weather seem to be the norm nowadays. I have been watching the news reports of the snow storms you guys in the U.S. are experiencing at the moment. If you're in the thick of all that, I hope you are all keeping safe.
I'm afraid I can't relate to the term "Global warming" but I can to the term "Climate change". Here today (just north of Sydney), we have entered our 6th day of max. temps above 30 degrees Celcius with no sign of relief until tomorrow night (Sunday).
D9, despite the occasional flood, heatwave and the odd cyclone, Australia and NZ are still top holiday destinations and we would love to see you down here. Don't forget, you will always have a place to stay around the Sydney/Newcastle area. That offer extends to everyone!
The hospitality extended to Clare and me last year by Nick, Sal, Lachlan, Fish and their families will never be forgotten.
Cheers,
Wob:australia:

Nick Morey

Rocker
Good to see you folks are home safe. Thanks so much for the link to the pics of your journey around Australia & Tasmania (hope you don't mind, I posted the link on my Facebook page). You know you're always welcome up this way!

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Nick, no worries mate. I'm still struggling to come to grips with Facebook. Lachlan's wife in California gave Clare and me a heads-up on FB when we visited them but I'm struggling to get into it. I'm reluctant to become a slave to the computer. I'd like to hear other forum member's opinion of Facebook. I'd like to get some feedback on the subject.

Lots of other shit going on in my life at the moment like a rising PSA level in my blood. My Oncologist believes it's a spike in the amount of the antagen released into the blood after aggressive radiation treatment.

I'm also working on putting together another o/s trip right now but this time I'd like to rent a bike. Watch this space!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I just got onto FB after a trip to visit family. I thought of it as a way to keep in touch. Its extremely shallow and I am not crazy about it. One good thing is its easy to use if you just want to post pictures or video. But for more in depth content or conversation its no good. It doesn't allow you to write more than 400 characters at a time. They get you by getting so many of your friends on....but no one gives a shit what they write. In my circle of 50 or so, most people just copy inane sayings and push the "like' button for each other's sayings.... its pretty dumb. Also, I have to block so many formerly pot smoking beer drinking slacker friends from High School who now post crazy political shit saying that all "good americans and patriots" need to wake up and realize the govt will be forcing us to speak arabic, blah blah blah.. and sharia law is coming.....its scary just how dumb some of my old friends really are. The privacy settings are real sketchy too. More than once I have found it automatically posting shit about me. Like "Sal has used Photobucket" WTF is that?

I think a blog or forum is better for documenting motorcycle travel.

Last edited: