Aprilia SVX 550

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I recently had the opportunity, and pleasure of riding a friends Aprilia SXV 550 motard. Just a little spec sheet to get your mouth watering.

66hp 550cc 72° vtwin

10,000rpm redline

dry sump oiling

5 speed gearbox

dry weight 278 lbs

I am a tradition less is more kinda cat, so cafe racers and bare bones bikes appeal. Never have I been a fan of the way motards look. This one changed my mind. Underseat dual exhaust and etched bodywork with a good looking frame. The thing just oozes rugged class.

Onto the ride.

Slow speed turning is much, much different compared to other bikes, you push the bar to turn and it pushes back fighting you. I found the best way, was oddly enough, to not steer the bike at low speed but simply to shift your weight, and boy howdy not much shift is needed. At higher speed turning the normal works flawlessly, the huge suspension travel soaking up any imperfections the road throws at you. The suspension is Sachs all around, and it does a damn fine job, for my riding skill and the level of ride I took the bike on. The gearbox clicks quite nicely, the only thing I dissaproved of was the large gap between 1st and second, finding it easy to hit neutral instead. Everything else was glorious. Ah, let me just say if you fancy painting, or drawing and avion species. This bike will allow you plenty of time to study the sky. I would venture to guess that you could birdwatch all day long with a giant smile on your face. The power and torque combined with the weight of the bike make it unrelentlessly easy to wheelie,I blame the bike for acting childish. (i had the biggest stupid childlike grin on my face and could not stop giggling into my helmet the entire time I was on it) If you manage to weight the front of the bike, it is a rocketship, Alert Nasa. Time travel may actually be possible. The top end obviously isn't there as to the type of the bike, but don't let that sway you away from it.

The annoyances.

The kickstand automatically pops up when you remove weight from it. Say hello to a bruised shin until you learn. Rebuild freqency, and this is the big one that has kept me from picking up a 'tard for a track bike. This motor has to be rebuilt roughly ever 4-5k miles. As a track bike only you are looking at 2-3 years between builds depending upon your frequency of track days.

mark66

TT Racer
Nice write-up Texas.....thanks. Sounds like a blast to ride. 66 hp and only around 275lb......thats a cool power to weight ratio.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Here's a picture of an Aprilla SVX 550

Here's a picture of the Aprilia SXV 550 being described...

Attachments

• Aprilla SVX 550.JPG
    Aprilla SVX 550.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nohawk

Rocker
it is a rocketship, Alert Nasa.:) Dont be getting all Hooligan around Bay Area blvd. now:pd::pd:

Nice little write up man. Ive just seen two of those 550s in the back of a pickup one time, just like a couple of MX bikes and they did look very cool. Real exotic when you look close.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Yea. I accidentally (literally by accident) wheelied past the police substation right by my apartment. Thing is a total hooligan boike.

ssjones

750cc
I followed one last year in WVA on my America, well tried to follow it. I never caught a glimpse of what it was, and finally caught up to him in traffic. We chatted momentarily at a red light, he had just bought the bike and said so far it was a blast. I've never ridden a SM, they look like a hoot.

I don't understand ; why you would have to rebuild the engine?

Because they're built and ran at the ragged edge of their limitations. Take a smallish motor to keep the bike light and lean, spin it 10,000 rpms at WFO all the time, it's gonna give up the ghost a lot quicker than a motor built for longevity.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Cool video... watch full screen if you can... eventually the SVX rider passes almost everybody... good track footage, found myself leaning
side to side watching it :motorbike2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWzoye3e3xA

Definitely good track video, and the guy can ride - but running the front brake pads down to nothing during a short race? :huh: Okay, so he went in deep at every corner (nice to have a weight advantage, eh?), he just flat ran out of brakes (or so says the text overlay).

I'm not surprised the bike is a good track tool; but I'm not sure it's worth the asking price, what with the rebuilds, short life of the expendables (like brakes), etc.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Definitely good track video, and the guy can ride - but running the front brake pads down to nothing during a short race? :huh: Okay, so he went in deep at every corner (nice to have a weight advantage, eh?), he just flat ran out of brakes (or so says the text overlay).

I'm not surprised the bike is a good track tool; but I'm not sure it's worth the asking price, what with the rebuilds, short life of the expendables (like brakes), etc.

The brakes shouldnt wear that quickly, he's fucked something up.

As for the rebuilds if you use it solely for track its probably 2 years before you'd need one or 2-3k track miles so depending on how much you actually go its not that bad off. And they don't eat tires like the heavier bikes.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
The brakes shouldnt wear that quickly, he's fucked something up.

As for the rebuilds if you use it solely for track its probably 2 years before you'd need one or 2-3k track miles so depending on how much you actually go its not that bad off. And they don't eat tires like the heavier bikes.

He just didn't check the pads before the race, a serious oversight that could have cost him more than just an agricultural excursion. I guess I'd just have a problem paying 10 grand for a brand new track-only bike when I could get a good used SV (Zook) track bike for 20% of that, and it while it might use tires more quickly it wouldn't require a rebuild every 2-3k miles.

There is no doubt the SVX is a very cool bike; but ...

Texas94fs

Hooligan
He just didn't check the pads before the race, a serious oversight that could have cost him more than just an agricultural excursion. I guess I'd just have a problem paying 10 grand for a brand new track-only bike when I could get a good used SV (Zook) track bike for 20% of that, and it while it might use tires more quickly it wouldn't require a rebuild every 2-3k miles.

There is no doubt the SVX is a very cool bike; but ...

Oh i agree with you on that mate, but if it was a track only tool and you had a good actual supermoto track around i think it'd be the tool to have. Tons of fun to ride and put miles on when its not yours though I'll tell you that!