Adding a tacho to a Bonnie

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I have a regular '07/08 Bonneville and I'm thinking about adding the tacho to it. You can get the kit for it from Triumph. My question is - is the wiring already in place on the bike? I can't imagine that they'd make a different loom for the two bikes. Is the tach add-on basically plug-in-and-play or do I have to run another wire from the ECU?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Yes...I did the same thing for my '07 Bonnie. I found a T100 kit from a totaled bike on fleabay and won the bid. Plug and play...couldn't be any easier.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Mine shows at 7 grand but I got the MPH tach/speedo set off of a totaled T100. I wanted MPH because I am bringing the bike back to the states with me next year.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Yeah I was kidding. Sorry! :)

I prefer the km speedo. Not only is it better for here where we use kms but it's also quicker to 60. :)

Yes, the kit is plug and play, but if you buy it used, make sure that you get all the parts, including the gauges wiring harness and the trip meter knob.

The kit includes a wire to go to the igniter module, but you won't need it for your bike.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I never really needed a tach on my bike and don't miss having one a bit. Good money could be better spent on something else that will really make a difference. I say this because Triumph as already put in a rev limiter so your covered if ya, "give 'er the stick" a little too long! For example, On my bike, if I pin the throttle while in 3rd gear the limiter kicks when in the low 90's. Pulls strong the whole way. So, now I just shift when hitting upper 80's. All this thinking about reving engines has given me the bug to go for a ride and although it may be a little cool out today, it's sunshiny, and that's enough to go strafe some back country blacktop. Time to gear up

mikenva

Rocker
the wireing is there in your headlight unless you have a early bike like a 01.One other thing the thrux tachs have a white face and read higher rpms they go to 9000

JimmyR

Street Tracker
The tacho is on! Really easy to do and I like having a tach. It amazes me how little of the rev range I use in regular riding. Apart from idle everything happens between 2000 and 4500 until I hit the highway or get a little antsy. Even hammering it I hardly get near 7000.

rodhotter

Scooter
owners of early models are lucky, having the newer can-bus VDO setup leaves few choices. i read triumph's new parts cat will have a plug and play for newer models, than its hello D-9 for a nice bracket!!

koifarm

Hooligan
Yep, I installed one early on and find I don't really pay attention to it....not much of a racer I guess....I'll agree it's nice to watch on occasion but with the sidecar attached I'm not prone to redlining it much....

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Never used mine on my t100 so I took it off, too much clutter. As already mentioned there is a rev limiter plus I am not one to wear headphones while riding so I can actually listen to the engine and my surroundings and not be distracted.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
When I first put the tacho on I was surprised at how little of the rev range I was using - and now I have discovered why. When I got rid of the airbox and installed pods along with Dominator slip-ons I used 145 mains as was recommended at the time. As a result it ran a bit rich so when I went past about 5000rpm it got a bit ratty and overly vibey. So on the suggestion of the guy at BC I tried some 140 mains and man what an improvement! Normal riding below 4000 is the same, but from 4000 to 7500 is so much smoother and more usable. It's perfect.

So now I find that I am using the full rev range a lot more often. 0-60kmh (our local main road limit) is so quick it's crazy. Second gear gets me up to about 100kph in no time at all and it's so smooth all the way. Sounds pretty darn good too! I haven't hit the cutout yet but the tacho is indicating 7500. I don't stay on 7500 for long because as soon as I hit it I change gears.

Funny thing is that now I know where the revs are I feel like I could take the tacho off. Fickle, huh??

rodhotter

Scooter
the newer sportsters cheaped out when they spent $$$ to rubbermount in 04 which was a great improvement in vibes but it added lbs, they removed tach except the roadster model, now roadster is discontinued, it also had dual discs up front, thats how harley works, profits first!!!

It's just a little odd to me. I guess no tach is fine for older, slower guys, or guys who aren't interested in motors or performance. Maybe no tach is fine for the kind of guys who are okay with driving a Toyota Corolla every day. I'm young and drive a roadster.

I love a tachometer. I need a tachometer. I can't imagine driving or riding anything without a tachometer. In fact, I'd have a tachometer on my toothbrush if I could.

Last edited:

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Tachometer is a necessity. Bikes without them are kiiiind of a joke, IMO. Like a Harley Sportster.

Don't get me wrong but I do like the look of a Tacho on a bike and car (once upon a time a sports model was defined by the fact that it had a tacho mounted in the dash or centre console but now nearly every cheesy little buzz box has one) but to make the comment you have made I have to ask, do you honestly look at the Tacho all of the time when riding???????? Reallllllllly??????? If the real concern was shifting at the right moment for the optimum power range in each gear then what about hooking up a shift light (I have never done this on a bike but cannot see any reason as to why it couldn't be done), that way you can ride without the distraction of looking down at the tacho all of the time which may be great on the track but in traffic any distraction can result in no more riding for ever. A shift light placed in the right position could be picked up in your peripheral vision.

As I said don't get me wrong I am not saying that no one should have a tacho ( I was going to fit a retro smith gauge set back on my Bonnie and go for a TT look, still may do), but I don't think not to have one makes the bike a joke. I had no gauges on my bike for about 12 months and I just gauged the speed by how much my open face was chocking me when it lifted and how hard the bugs stung when they hit as for revs I listened to the engine