66 TT Can you pick one??

Twodogs

Street Tracker
This is to pick the brains of all of you guys involved with the 60's model Triumphs, particularly the TT model which we didn't get in Australia. There is a guy with a 66 Bonnie for sale that has aluminium fenders, white tank with orange stripe down the middle (Like the TT) and correct 66 Tank badge. The bike is described as being original, (so the colour has me thinking TT) apart from the front wheel which makes me think may have been fitted to install a speedo as the TT didn't have a speedo or lights which this also has been fitted with but no indicators and it has been imported from the states and never registered in Australia. The guy has not advertised it as a TT but does mention that it does have the original "drag pipes" which are what I reckon are the lower short style TT pipe introduced in 65. Now my question is what would I have to look at to confirm if this is actually a TT that at some stage of its life has been street moded in the States and is now here in Australia. These did have a different windings in the alternator for better spark due to no battery being fitted for lighter weight but I don't know if this can be identified externally or if a battery has been fitted. The bike is on ebay and is just around the corner from my work but it may as well be on Mars as I cannot drive at the moment and will not be returning to work until mid week so I might get somebody to take me for a look then. He is not giving it away but it does look good in the pictures and if it is a TT would make it a rare bike here in Australia

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The TT is my favorite Bonnie of all time! You are right though, the bike would have to be modded to be able to get put on the street and there lies your catch-22 with this bike. This is the Bonnie that good ol' Evel Kneivel almost met his maker on with the famous Ceasar's jump in Vegas. I also read an article that stated Kneivel wanted to jump exculsively on Triumphs but they wouldn't pay him...Harley would.

I have the book, 'Bonneville' and it has it's own little section on the TT and I will paraphrase for you...hopefully it gives you the information that you are looking for.

From the book:

Another success story for 1965 was the Bonnveville TT Special, which by the end of the year in the USA had won more events in its class than all other makes put together. Until mid-1966 they shared the T120C engine suffix with the other off-road sports Bonnies. However they were very different beasties, with:

12:1(said to be an actual 11:2:1) compression
1 3/16in carbs
Batteryless ET (energy transfer) ignition
no lighting
a rev counter only
0-60 time of 5.5 seconds w/top speeds over 120 mph
Claimed output of 54bhp

Apart from the above, the specification remained remarkably close to the standard T120. Main change points specific to the TT were an 18 tooth gearbox sprocket for 1964, with a huge Lucas S55 handlebar-mounted ignition cut-out switch. The following year saw the the introduction of the classic 1 3/4in downswept twin short pipes tucked in under the crankcase, which meant the end of the center stand.

1966 models had the slim tanks fitted on them. 1967 was last year for production that saw stainless steel mudguards for both east and west versions. Around 3500 TTs have been built in total although the legend far exceeded mere numbers produced.

Most well known colors:

1966 White with Grenadier Red stripes
1967 Aubergine & Gold/Aubergine & White

There is a bunch more information so throw some questions out there if you have them and I will try to look them up for you. As you can see...only 3500 in total made but the legend of the TT is pretty significant so that makes it ripe looking at a Bonnie that really wasn't a TT. Hard bike to track down but holy shit are they wickedly awesome...The bad girl of the Bonnies! The most beautifully sounding bike I have ever heard!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Something else that could be used is that but the '66 oil capacity was increased to six pints in a new tank with revised rubber mountings and a metered feed in its neck to the rear chain with the previous over-enthusiastic feed from the primary chaincase being blanked off.

The steering head angle was increased to 62 degrees for the '66(the same as on Norton's Featherbed frame). This also put the engine lower and more forward in the frame, giving a lower center of gravity.

The USA T120R version had a new polished cast aluminum tail-light housing. The seat was a little different because the back portion of the seat kicked out a little bit wider because of extra padding.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Cheers on the information. I don't think it is a TT I am just assuming it it was he would have to know what he had.