2008 Bonneville 865cc to Custom Bonneville 1100cc

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
I bought my 2008 Bonneville Black new from Motor Cycle Center in Villa Park, IL (near Chicago) in the summer of 2008. After riding it and modifying it for a number of years I reached over 63,000 miles and it needed a valve job. So, I decided to send the entire engine to Bill Gately of Bonneville Performance, for a complete engine overhaul and upgrade/modification! After discussion with Bill, we decided that my final rebuilt engine would have the same spec’s as the BP 1100cc crate engine, including:
  • New bearings
  • New oil pump
  • Billet cylinders with Nikasil lining
  • BP performance head porting with BP valve train
  • BP Cams
  • Crankshaft dynamically balanced
  • All paper and MLS gaskets
The modified engine, along with the twin Mikuni HSR42 carbs and the BP 2 into 1 Exhaust system should produce approximately 100 HP and 76 ft. lbs. of torque. Bill also had a number of the engine covers powder coated satin black for me.

Here are photos of the engine removal process in my garage.

Attachments

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
Here are photos of the crating and shipping phase to get the engine from Chicago to Bonneville Performance near Daytona Beach in Florida.

Attachments

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
At Bonneville Performance, I assisted Bill in reassembling my Bonneville with the new 1100cc engine.

Attachments

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
A dyno can cost anywhere from $30 to $300 in my experience. The differences are:
  • A mobile dyno unit designed to just give a baseline of the current engine output = $30 (usually at a motorcycle event of some kind)
  • An in-house dealer dyno where fine tuning of the carbs and/or EFI is adjusted between each dyno run, to obtain optimum performance = $200 - $300