2004 Bonneville Cafe Racer Project Bike

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
I purchased a used 2004 Bonneville from Team Power Center in Janesville, Wisconsin on December 26, 2018. I plan to modify it into a sweet cafe racer as my Project Bike #3. You can follow my progress on my blog site at https://triumphbonneville.org/project/2004-bonneville/ So far I plan to strip the tank to bare metal and then clear coat it, use brushed aluminum side number plates, brushed aluminum fenders, Progressive rear shocks, Shorty Predator exhausts, and many other mods.

Attachments

• 2004-triumph-bonneville-loaded.jpg
    2004-triumph-bonneville-loaded.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2004-bonneville-featured.jpg
    2004-bonneville-featured.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2008-bonneville-mockup.jpg
    2008-bonneville-mockup.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 12

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
More progress has been made this past week.

Attachments

• 122818-2004-bonneville-rear-shocks.jpg
    122818-2004-bonneville-rear-shocks.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 7
  • drilled-items.jpg
    drilled-items.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 6
  • shift-lever.jpg
    shift-lever.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 5

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
I've made a lot of progress and am now waiting for additional parts to arrive. Most recently I mounted new Sun alloy rims built by Buchanan Spokes, with new Avon Roadrider tires. I reupholstered the seat with a diamond stitch design cover. The rear fender I bought at a swap meet for $20 and modified it to work. The rear taillight and turn signals are a flexible LED strip integrated into the rear of the seat. All of the bare metal pieces will be clear coated and left looking raw. The standard black side covers shown will be replaced with brushed aluminum number plates with a custom designed number and logo etched in the surface.

Attachments

• 011619-2004-bonneville-cafe-rat-racer.jpg
    011619-2004-bonneville-cafe-rat-racer.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 011219-number-plate-idea-closeup.jpg
    011219-number-plate-idea-closeup.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 6

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
I purchased a few parts from Denverdave and have installed them on the project bike. One is the Triumph Skid Plate and the other was a dresser rail that was painted black. I wire brushed the paint off to achieve a dulled, brushed metal look (like the rest of the bike) and installed it. Looks great!

Attachments

• skid-plate.jpg
    skid-plate.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 9
  • wire-brushed-dresser-rail.jpg
    wire-brushed-dresser-rail.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 9