1/4 turn throttle for 1" bars

dbacher06

Scooter
I have the 1" M bars and am looking for a 1/4 throttle. All the power on these bikes is on the top end and being carburated i think it would be a huge improvement to have 1/4 throttle.

Anyone ever do this or know where to find a 1/4?

Thanks,

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
1/4 throttle = 90 deg which is pretty std for full throttle and what the bonny as Rod mentioned likely already has. Maybe dbacher you meant less than that. I haven't heard of a quick throttle for the bonny but I would be up for something a bit quicker as well.
A couple of ways to do it and neither are easy unless someone stumbles on a two cable throttle tube with larger O.D. cable collar that will fit a 1 inch handlebar...aka quick throttle tube that will fit the std. bonny throttle control housing.

Last edited:

dbacher06

Scooter
I wasnt aware that the Bonnie had a 1/4 turn throttle. If that is the case I would want something bigger to make it easier to get the power and stay in the power. Anyone?

rodburner

Rocker
Even quicker acting throttles will just make the bike harder to ride at anything less than WFO.It's sounds like you want engine work,not a new throttle.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Even quicker acting throttles will just make the bike harder to ride at anything less than WFO.It's sounds like you want engine work,not a new throttle.
Yup...precisely why the throttle has the amount of twist is has. Hard to ride a bike with an on off throttle. My last motorcycle had an even slower throttle onset...about 100 deg rotation to full throttle.

Easy13

Street Tracker
+1. A shorter throttle very seriously affects rideability. Imagine a rough road with a twitchy throttle...

dbacher06

Scooter
They make these for many of the sport bikes. Doesnt have to be so drastic that it makes the bike difficlut to ride, but if i could go to a 1/3 turn throttle or similar it would deliver the power much quicker.

rodburner

Rocker
D,a 1/3 turn throttle has to be cranked even further to open than a 1/4 turn. Not trying to be a dick,but to achieve what we think you are going for,why don't you just turn the idle up to say,4500. then your current throttle or any other throttle should be able to get you to max rpm with just the slightest twist of the wrist.
Ok,I AM trying to be a dick. What your goal requires is lighter flywheel,pistons and crank,different cams ,carbs and a 16 tooth front sprocket,not a different throttle.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Excuse me... if you aren't drag racing... and your right wrist isn't ALREADY in good enough shape to snap that throttle open in like NO time, then go review Every Single Post in Babes on Bikes, take a little break, and then go riding. Sheesh. A 1/4 (or 1/3) throttle is going to make ZERO difference in your day to day riding (other than popping off the line a skosh faster).

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Excuse me... if you aren't drag racing... and your right wrist isn't ALREADY in good enough shape to snap that throttle open in like NO time, then go review Every Single Post in Babes on Bikes, take a little break, and then go riding. Sheesh. A 1/4 (or 1/3) throttle is going to make ZERO difference in your day to day riding (other than popping off the line a skosh faster).
Changing throttle tubes and rate of throttle pull makes a HUGE difference in how the bike rides. You likely haven't done it. Even a 10 degree change is significant in throttle response. Further, some bikes have a cammed throttle pull to achieve a graduated throttle onset and not a long pull to WOT to address both neeeds. Sport bikes generally have quicker throttle pull and cruisers have longer pull. Second, quite right, a 1/4 turn throttle does make zero difference because it is exactly what the bonnie comes with. :) Lastly a 1/3 throttle is directionally oppose of what the OP wants, it is a much slower throttle taking a full 120 degrees to achieve WOT and again would make a huge and not zero difference in how the bike rides.
Just clarifying for the OP.

Last edited:

sportyone

Street Tracker

your right BlueJ, even if he was dragging, it will make very little difference, maybe a bee's dick of difference, what is he actually after ?

maybe a wannabe ricer racer, :) trying to lift the front wheel each gear ?

what a poser, eh ? :chair:

Oxblood

750cc
I found a throttle from a 88 hawk GT got me up in the rpms faster... of course the rest of the bike with a big bore kit and ported/polished heads ect ect helped too. I still grab the bonneville for long highway trips but mountain blasts call for another bike imho.

100_2440.jpg