'08 Bonnie Wiring Help Needed

Beaman

Two Stroke
I have spent a couple of days trying to get the wiring right on a Mike's XS Mini Speedo on my '08 Bonnie. I have poured over several diagrams to no avail. The problem is that the wiring colors must have changed. I have a Haynes that goes up to '07 and that didn't help. If somebody could please point me towards an '08 schematic either of just the wiring or how they hooked up a mini speedo to an '08, I would really appreciate it! My biggest problem is figuring out which black wires would've connected to an alarm. Once I have identified those wires, I am wondering if I close the circuit by connecting them. I also assume that I leave the red tach wire completely alone.

I have one black wire, two black with one silver mark, and one black with two silver marks. Most of the schematics on here and in *the other site* are for '03s.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I have an '08 T-100 and did this same mod using Haynes and online wiring diagrams. In your Haynes manual look at the wiring diagram and find the instrument cluster connector. It has numbers from 1-12. #9 is your red tach wire, #12 is your black with white stripe neutral light negative wire, #1 is your oil pressure light negative wire. With this in mind and manual in hand, look at the connector and wires to it on the main wiring harness side of the connector and figure out where #1,9,and 12 are the wires go in numerical order thru each row of the connector. Once you get that figured out it will be really easy for you to look at the pin number in the manual and see which black wire is which. The most important thing to do is write it all down! Seriously write down what wires go where and who they are, make yourself a diagram of what you are going to connect before you go and do it.

Don't forget diodes for the turnsignal light. Best of luck! Shout if you need help, or if my description is unreadable.

Beaman

Two Stroke
Thanks, 2monkeys. That would've been great if I could've done that ahead of time. I didn't realize that Haynes doesn't show the silver tabs on the black wires. If I can figure out what the black wires looked like for the alarm, I am set. The harness connector is useless for figuring this out because of how I cut it.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Ohhh, suck. Ok pulled out my little wiring diagram which is unfortunately quite incomplete. Ya think you will remember, but you won't! I have that the black with 2 silver marks is the oil light negative. I have that black with 1 silver mark is negative from instrument lighting and highbeam indicator light.

That leaves one black w/1 silver mark and the solid black as the alarm wires. Assuming you don't have an alarm on the bike there should be no current thru the alarm wires as they go directly to the alarm connector. If there is no alarm connected they should be dead... I would check all 4 with a multimeter to find the dead 2. Those should be your alarm wires. Don't let the smoke out, and if you do it ain't my fault. Best of luck and let me know how it goes.

Last edited:

Beaman

Two Stroke
Thanks 2 Monkeys, I basically did what you described. The solid black is actually another single silver tab. Lesson learned about trusting diagrams and not labeling wires like I usually do. Thanks again for your help! It's all working and my D9 bracket looks awesome.