All the Gear All the Time

Yesterday I had a major motorcycle crash on the way home from work. To be honest all the facts are a little blurry. I was riding home from work when I was getting into a turn lane and all of the sudden, all of the cars in front of me stopped. I tried to stop and I don't know what happened but either I hit something slippery or locked up the brakes or something. Either way, I went ass over teakettle and the bike slid, crashed, rolled, I saw pieces of bike, hands, feet. I slid on my head for about 100 feet. The good news is I was fully geared up: boots, pants, jacket (both with CE armor), and an HJC CL15 helmet which I'm pretty sure saved my life. When the ambulance arrived, they collared me up and rushed me to the trauma center where they did every test they could think of (I think they even used the machine that goes bing). They released me several hours later with in their opinion minor and in my opinion major road rash on my shoulder and bruises all up and down my left side. No broken bones, no internal injuries. I think the bike might be totaled but that's up to the insurance company to decide. I'm just glad to be alive and the pain meds they gave me make me not really care about much. This just goes to show you (and I know I'm preaching to the choir) but all the gear, all the time. It will save your life someday. The fact that I basically walked away from something that horrific is reason enough never to bitch about wearing all that gear in 115 degree heat. Enjoy every day like it's your last because it might be.

See those white scrapes on the pavement? That's from my helmet.
15705_1395527658541_1542696415_962810_5926979_n.jpg

This is me on my way to the emergency room
15705_1395526898522_1542696415_962804_2473237_n.jpg

This is the worst of the damage. Note that the tat remained intact
15705_1395520858371_1542696415_962797_5076854_n.jpg

This is me hopped up on morphine
15705_1395499977849_1542696415_962755_1461118_n.jpg

This is my jacket
15705_1395499377834_1542696415_962753_530998_n.jpg

Please not the irony of the helmet stickers
1. Crashing Sucks
2. It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops
3. I'm the person my parents warned me about
15705_1395498777819_1542696415_962751_4197704_n.jpg

Nick Morey

Rocker
ATGATT is no joke! (Even though we joke about it sometimes.) Glad to hear your OK.

The bike is replaceable, you ain't.

1 I'm glad you're ok
2 I do wear ATGATT
3 I will take your crash as a reminder!

I honestly do not fell comfortable unless I'm wearing at least a helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. I won't ride without. I will admit though that I usually, below the waist, only wear jeans and boots. I should wear more below the waist.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Glad you're OK. Of course that's a relative term. many Bonnies out there and only one of you. I'm here cuz I wore a helmet.

scottslob

Scooter
glad yer okay. i live just down the 10 from you in palm springs. I have been entertaining the idea of goin out without my leather jacket the last few days. thanx for reminding me. I figure it will be time pretty soon to give mid day rides a rest till the end of summer.

Bad luck mate, but the main thing is you're OK.
I agree with the protective gear, whenever I go out for a fast ride it's full kit. On the other hand in summer it's t-shirt and jeans with joggers for a ride to the pub, on the way home who cares:crazy:

hs01jowe

Two Stroke
Glad you're ok!

Thankfully it's a cold climate here in Sweden, so we are not so tempted to ride in a t-shirt!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Glad you are OK and sorry to hear about your fall. Tough call on why the bike went down. Maybe too much front brake relative to the traction available comes to mind if you were turning the front wheel in particular to avoid a car in front of you. Front brake lock up while sharply turning the front wheel to avoid what's in front is a pretty sure fire recipe to go ass over elbows. Been there. That road looks like it could be pretty slick.
All the best in a speedy recovery and hope you get a new bike and get back on the road soon.
I am right with you...ATGATT....price we pay for being out in the open air and well worth it.

Last edited:

T-boy

Rocker
Glad you're okay, dude. Heal up fast and get right back on your new Bonnie. I don't always ride fully geared, but your story sure has me thinking hard about it.

coopv2

Street Tracker
Sorry to hear about your wipe out, hope you mend soon. I will donate my stock indicators for your rebuild if that helps. :)

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
As a career fireman I see accidents far to often it is great you are ok and the gear definately has a lot to do with that. Everybody should take note of what you say about protective gear it works. I have seen the result of somebody just fooling around doing 40km/hr with just a helmet and runners off, needless to say to look at him after his crash he looked like a scene out of braveheart. You need to think of the road as very hard sandpaper just a second of exposure is enough to deglove you. So thumbs up mate, hope you get better soon and if the bikes a loss you can get another but thanks to the gear you are hear on the planet to buy another. All the best ben dickens

strokerlmt

Really glad you are okkkk.....as someone said earlier the bike is replaceable....you aren't....and hey you have insurance. The one thing I like about my riding partner....we do the same....all gear all the time...
Press on
LMT

koifarm

Hooligan
Glad to see you're okay dude, that was a nasty one!....it really reinforces the mantra of atgatt for all of us and I'm sure a good percentage of us do wear atgatt, I know I do....and will....
Enjoy the pain pills, don't get used to them...it's easy to get strung out......a few of us on the board know all about that aspect....

RICHW

Scooter
britney_spears3.jpg

Britney Spears sez "get well soon, and keep an eye out for those brick walls!"

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Atgatt. Glad you practice it. Hope you heal soon. Might try a perforated leather jacket, I'll be that would've saved you what little roadrash you got. Let us know about the bike and what you need!