Gone over to the dark side

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Forgive me guys for I have indeed "gone over to the dark side", and in doing so , I have done something I said I would never do....I've sold my beloved Centennial Bonneville and acquired a BMW.

A 2000 R1100RT in fact.
It was too good a deal to pass up. AUS$6000 with 50,000kms (30k miles) on the clock and in immaculate condition.
Reason behind my decision?...I wanted a long distance tourer which was comfortable (for a 64 yr old bum), with long legs (400+kms on one tank). I'm afraid the Bonneville was none of these IMHO.
My better half put her foot down about having 2 registered motor cars AND 2 registered bikes sitting in the garage, something or someone had to go.

The first road trip on the Beemer was magic! 3 days touring western NSW with 3 mates, staying overnight in country pubs The Beemer lived up to its reputation. Fast, comfortable and superb handling with plenty of luggage space.

The next planned trip is to Tasmania in Feb 2012. 6 bikes, 2 weeks, can't wait.

One consolation, I sold the Bonneville to a mate and he has given me visitation rights, one day every month.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I believe you made a good purchase. For what you want to do that is a great choice. I've considered adding one to my stable as well.

Sorry the Bonneville is gone. I am guessing getting rid of the wife instead was not a viable option??

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Sorry the Bonneville is gone. I am guessing getting rid of the wife instead was not a viable option??

How very right you are Roy. Hard to "spoon" a Bonneville when you're tucked up in the cot on those cold winter nights.

Sounds like you made a good move! I've always been curious about those Beemers...enjoy yours!

I am and I will, man.

Rod....."I still love you man"......
Good choice. Enjoy the "comfort ride".
LMT

Thanks Lach, old mate. I don't think I can take rejection.

That all encompassing tool (screwdriver X 2, flashlight and spirit-level) that you accidentally left at my place some time ago has been sitting and waiting for a pick up, it's now going into the bin.

Naaah, you're good with me even if you do speak German, I just won't mention the war.

DandyDoug

750cc
I am guilty of the same move and for many of the same reasons.
I went for an older model than yours though. I bought a very nice 1985 R80 BMW an AirHead .
I previously owned a 2000 R1100R model and found the fuel injection system left a lot to be desired. Three different dealers tried to resolve a surging problem and could never get it right.

I miss my 05 T100 Bonneville , but the BMW does all the same things only a lot more comfortably for my old bones.

T-boy

Rocker
I sold a 1997 R1100R to buy my '07 Bonnie. While it was a great bike mechanically, the "fun" factor just wasn't there. For touring & long distance rides they are hard to beat IMHO. Congrats on your purchase, wobbly.

Rocker

Two Stroke
My better half put her foot down about having 2 registered motor cars AND 2 registered bikes sitting in the garage, something or someone had to go.

One consolation, I sold the Bonneville to a mate and he has given me visitation rights, one day every month.

If it was me I'd send the wife to a mate and have visitation rights once a month. If nothing else my sex life would improve.
Enjoy the Beemer, ride safe.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
That all encompassing tool (screwdriver X 2, flashlight and spirit-level) that you accidentally left at my place some time ago has been sitting and waiting for a pick up, it's now going into the bin.
Naaah, you're good with me even if you do speak German, I just won't mention the war.

Chuck the all encompassing tool (funny, with all the gadgets it did have, I don't remember a compass). I don't need it anymore 1. I don't screw anymore since radiation. 2. I glow in the dark anyway for the same reason and 3. I'm a very straight forward, level headed guy.

Nein bullkrappen!

wobblygong

Street Tracker
At least you didn't get a Harley, or a rice rocket.

I am guilty of the same move and for many of the same reasons.
I went for an older model than yours though. I bought a very nice 1985 R80 BMW an AirHead .
I previously owned a 2000 R1100R model and found the fuel injection system left a lot to be desired. Three different dealers tried to resolve a surging problem and could never get it right.

I miss my 05 T100 Bonneville , but the BMW does all the same things only a lot more comfortably for my old bones.

I sold a 1997 R1100R to buy my '07 Bonnie. While it was a great bike mechanically, the "fun" factor just wasn't there. For touring & long distance rides they are hard to beat IMHO. Congrats on your purchase, wobbly.

If it was me I'd send the wife to a mate and have visitation rights once a month. If nothing else my sex life would improve.
Enjoy the Beemer, ride safe.

The Bonneville "left" me last week and I already miss her like crazy.
I go for a ride on the Beemer and nobody gives me, well the bike, a second look. No inquiring comments, no long looks of admiration, no salivating over the chrome bits or the Trumpie burble. I don't crave the attention but I'm sure the bike did. Like the true harlot she was, she always rode a little sweeter after a couple of dudes salaciously stroked her tank or caressed her muff(lers).

I think I'll do couple of long distance rides, Tassie, Perth, North Queensland, then, when the travel bug leaves me, swap the Beemer for another Bonneville.

What I do know, I won't be going for a Harley or a "rice rocket".

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Already thinking of another Bonny? That convinces me even more that I will always keep one around. When I buy another bike, it likely won't be too far off from your RT. Seems to be a natural progression. I have a friend who swore by Ducatis all these years , test drove a Beamer and now thats all he talks about. Good luck with it.

DandyDoug

750cc
Wobbly, I have the answer to your dilema of no one fondling your BMW like they did over your triumph.

You simply bought the wrong BMW, If you had been thinking clearly you would have bought an AIRHEAD silly boy.:cheer:

I get comments all the time over my 1985 R80, what year is it, how long have you had it, a friend/uncle/cousinbrother had one just like it. ( I think these people are confused and or conflicted)
Sometimes i get asked if it is fast, and the answer is always , fast enough for me.:huh:

Do not despair, in time your BMW will get old and maybe gain some cache'.:wave:

KingBear

Hooligan
I've been looking to buy that exact same bike in addition to my Bonnie, something to carry both my wife and I more comfortably. After considering everything from Honda to Harley I came down on the side of the Beemer. Unwilling to be a guinea pig for their new 1600 power plant I think the best choice is the R 1200 RT. The only common complaint I have read is with the final drive. Apparently the shaft drive isn't as robust as it should be, but aside from that it looks great. Powerful, comfy, sporty, and plenty of storage space for some touring. Of course the BMW also has some status associated with it but it just isn't as cool as the Bonnie.

I'm lucky to have an understanding (and well employed) wife. She's actually encouraging the purchase, and I won't have to give up the Trumpy, but I'm still reluctant to take the plunge. We've sold a piece of property in Minnesota and were considering using the proceeds for some land at the beach, but we decided against that because my wife has been with the Marriott company for going on 25 years, and once she reaches that mark (in about 60 days) she will be guaranteed free hotel stays for life. So why build a house at the beach when hotels everywhere are free? Instead we may just use the money for the aforementioned BMW R 1200 RT. I like the 2012 model in blue, which I guess is a big deal because they usually only offer black or shades of gray. I dig your red color.

Please keep us (me) posted on how you like it.

Last edited:

DandyDoug

750cc
Kingbear;

The chatter over some final drives failing is much a do about nothing.
The bikes that did have failure were mostly the big touring rigs, (K series, and some GS models) don't think i have ever heard of an RT or naked R having the problem.
BMW ( much like Triumph and the broken spoke issue) never really issued a recall , but did in fact change the design of the rear pinion a couple of years ago. They also added back in to the maintenance schedule a final drive oil oil change at regular intervals.

Doug

KingBear

Hooligan
Thanks for that info, Doug. I know how talks of those kinds of failures can take on a life of their own. I joined the BMW forum so I can see what owners are saying about their bikes and the problems they are reporting, and if a purchase becomes imminent I will take up any concerns I have with the dealer so he can answer them with just the kind of information you have here.