Saddlebag Alternatives

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I agree and do not care for the look of saddlebags on a Bonnie whatsoever. I decided to get some temporary and got the ones from Kurakyn. They are ugly but they go on in just a couple of mintes, come off even quicker and have a sick amount of storage space. I am happy for what they are...

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Here's a photo of a buddy's Bonnie Black with A1 saddlebags - http://www.a1saddlebags.com/ They're acutally pretty functional, if not 'too big'.

BretsA1Saddlebags.jpg

And here I am packed up and ready to head to the mountains for a week. I'm not a fan of saddlebags, but they do allow me to carry what I need to survive on. I take them off where I get where I'm going, and put 'em back on when I'm ready to head back to the house. I use Triumph's luggage rack for long trips, and then I also take it off when I get home. The tank bag really does suck, but it's extremely functional.

LinvilleFallsride1.jpg

danifly

moped
Hey Chris,
Do you know how your friend mounted those A1 Saddlebags?

What do you mean "too big"? Just curious as I'm looking for something that is waterproof and Leather and other fabrics are only water resistant....

Kappy

Two Stroke
Saddlebag Alternatives

Here the Hepco & Becker - just great panniers

Kappy

Attachments

• backgound.jpg
    backgound.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Hey Chris,

What do you mean "too big"? Just curious as I'm looking for something that is waterproof and Leather and other fabrics are only water resistant....

The bags are actually pretty well proportioned. They don't detract from the looks of the bike at all. They are a bit narrow, but for carring a rainsuit, and the routine things we like to carry, I imagine they'd work fine.

I honestly can't say if they're waterproof or not.

KingBear

Hooligan
I agree and do not care for the look of saddlebags on a Bonnie whatsoever. I decided to get some temporary and got the ones from Kurakyn. They are ugly but they go on in just a couple of mintes, come off even quicker and have a sick amount of storage space. I am happy for what they are...

IMG_0681.jpg

They might look better if you switched them around so they are facing the right direction. Or is that one of those "driving on the left" sort of things?;)

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
multi-directional as they strap to the passenger pegs and I didn't have the points of the bags in the back of my legs. Like I said...who gives a shit about looks; they come off as soon as their purpose is done

Deek

Scooter
After four years of use, my Triumph teardrop saddlebags on my T100 are torn, worn and ready for replacement. Have shopped around and looked at all the options available, including the "Saddlebags with Pics" thread on another forum.

Problem is, am dragging my feet on picking a replacement because I just think a Bonnie looks better totally naked and without bags................

I agree these bikes look best without bags. I decided to skip the saddlebags and go with a very small tank bag and a tail bag. So far that works for me. I've only taken one two day trip, but the tank/tail gave me enough room for that short trip. I had not expanded the tail bag, and if I'd done that I could have probably brought enough gear for a 3-4 day trip......'cept I'd have to leave the netbook at home. <g>

My tank/tail bags are made by Cortech.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE
2009 BMW R 1200 RT
2006 BMW R 1200 RT <gone>
2007 Royal Star Venture <gone>
2007 V-Strom DL1000 <gone>
2006 VTX 1300R <gone>
2005 V* Classic <gone>

slowgator

750cc
I agree these bikes look best without bags. I decided to skip the saddlebags and go with a very small tank bag and a tail bag. So far that works for me. I've only taken one two day trip, but the tank/tail gave me enough room for that short trip. I had not expanded the tail bag, and if I'd done that I could have probably brought enough gear for a 3-4 day trip......'cept I'd have to leave the netbook at home. <g>

My tank/tail bags are made by Cortech.

I still haven't made a move on replacing the bags and am trying to ignore how raggedy they've become. Not wild about tank bags either and have two different sizes of sissy bar bags for multi-day trips that stay off for everyday rides. I'm leaning towards a more semi-permanent solution to carry everyday items for day trips and am looking at this sissy bar bag to carry stuff like ballcap, a few tools, cable lock, etc.:

http://www.amazon.com/Willie-Max-Black-Jack-Sissy/dp/B0030DCMXW

Anyone use a bag like this on their Bonnie? Deek, be interested in links to the bags you're using if you have... thanks!

anyone have a good suggestion for saddle bags that would work well with a passenger?

im in the market for a set and i would only use them when my wife and i plan on going on a overnight trip somewhere

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Hey Chris,

I know the guy and he mounted them onto the Bonnie stock saddle bag rails. He went to home depot and got some clamps and drilled a few holes. Holds up real well.

9mmMike

Scooter
Haven't been passed page one of the thread yet but Triumph makes some larger bags that fit the same rail/rack as the City Bag. They are often seen on the "cruiser" Triumphs. I am thinking about get one of those for the single rack that I have on the left side of my Bonnie.

I have used the Cortech saddles as well. They are nice.

Mostly I use my Cortech tail bag for daily commuting. Fits my laptop and stuff. It comes off fast and is easy to carry. Would love to get some Wolfman stuff someday.

Demar

Two Stroke
I bought a set of these for my T100 in Jumbo size

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...lemen-Cruisn-Slant-Custom-Fit-Saddlebags.aspx

I mounted them to these rails

http://www.newbonneville.com/html/luggage_brackets.html

And these mounts attach to and stay on the bag.

http://www.newbonneville.com/html/quick_mounts.html

The rails mount to a grab rail and the shock mounts. The rail stays on the bike and that's ok with me. I don't even notice it. The saddlebags are well made and each one can hold a 12-pack of Bud cans with room for chips and salsa.

It takes about 1 minute to put on or take off the saddlebags. You don't need the grab rail if you use a mount that bolts on under the seat.

Last edited: