What dunbass thing have you done lately??

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
So...MLW wants tacos for lunch. Don't make a fuss dear, I'll just move the Scram and take the Suburban up to the Taco Bell for food!! I drive the Scram up into the garage like I always do, turn off the key, turn off the fuel, and lean the mother over... right into my '29 A roadsterr! handlebars down into the headers, mirror looking like a pretzel. Forgot to put down the sidestand. My first thought was "I can't believe I just did that, then my second was to look around to make sure my neighbor wasn't watching, she would never let me live it down.
Now, the issue is that the bike is lying against the car in such a way that I can't get between it and the car to pick it up on that side, and it's over at enough of an angle that I can't muscle it up from the outside. This mother is heavy!! MLW is an invalid, so I'm on my own with this one.
Can't seem to budge it.
That's when I realize that the bike is lying on the little "scrub tit" underneath the fotpeg. So I slide the bike out a bit, after removing the handlebar from the header on the hot rod, sliding on the front tire sidewall, and the footpeg. I get it out far enough I can straddle the bike and finally ooff the bike upright.
Put down the sidestand this time !!
I got lucky, one tiny hickey on the side of the gas tank, made invisible with rubbing compound. I'm still blushing. :pick:

Last edited:

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Saved by the tit... sounds like you got really lucky. Enjoy your good fortune before the crappy Tacos take effect.

AceT100

Rocker
Hows the car???

And...is it this one??

hotrod051.jpg

I'm a HAMB'er too :c

Last edited:

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
You found me!!
I should have realized that Triumph lovers will be gearheads too.
The car is just about the same. It's been idle for the last year while Cris fights with her colon cancer. She's now stage four, and it's getting complicated. I'm probably going to sell the hot rod, and everything that goes with it. I don't have time to do anything with it, and given the choice, my heart is more in motorcycles. Even then my '68 Bonnie sits unfinished needing maybe 8 or 10 more hours to be up again.
But Crissie is my focus now, and for some reason, I just don't care a lot about the car anymore. I promised her I would do some things around the house, and I intend to do those things, new flooring, kitchen remodel, etc, while she is still with me. That means I need the room for a table saw, and maybe a mitre.
We just got home from the hospital after 59 days last Wednesday, so I'm running as fast as I can now.
I know this is way more information than anyone needs, but I expect to get flamed on because I have so much stuff going on at once. Hell, now Sweat's jumping me for bad spelling!! Geeezzzz !!! Sweat!! Next time I get to Austin I'm gonna toilet paper your house!! ARRGGHH!!

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Hey Mike, don't sweat the drop, happens to the best of us some times....
Love the "rod" for sure, bet it's fun to drive.
Sorry to hear about your partner and her fight with cancer, best of luck to you both and I hope she heals. With that on your plate I'm amazed you seem to be doing as well as you are, keep up the good work.
koi

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
^ +1... extremely sorry to hear that. I hope things improve in the very near future. Considering the circumstances you've got a fantastic attitude, and that can only help matters.

rodburner

Rocker
Sorry to hear about your wife. Don't waste any time on all that mechanical shit.Be close to home and her.

Last edited:

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
"that chock block's not traditional!"
There is nothing traditional about this car. First, it's a glass body, a big block, oh my!!, and a saginaw 4 speed. Add a nine inch rear on coil overs, and it's not good HAMB fodder.
It was an altered before the No Hot Rods Anymore told me I had to have a new chassis. I was in the process of making a street rod out of it when Cris started her SECOND round of colon cancer. But we are getting way off topic here... Am I the only one willing to jump under the bus!?! I bet there are some really funny stories out there.

BTW, thanks for the good words. Some of these forums are kind of cold. I stay with NBR and the HAMB and the Jockey Journal because of the people.

strokerlmt

I have a book full of stupid shit I have done. Here is a recent one. I have an early 988 stroker engine. After the first few Matt and Carlos started to weld the crank gear to the shaft because it was a stock press fitting and eventually the engine would spin it loose, which happened to me. So I drain the oil, pull the casing and save the gasket. I put the bike in the truck, drive it to my weld shop, we cover the bike, flush the crank area, weld the sucker as per pictures I had. I go home ready to close up and "gee I think the weld looks chunky". So I grind a nice pretty finish to the weld. Close up , new oil and off I go. 100 miles later I spun the gear off the shaft because dumb ass ground to much of the weld off. So repeat the whole process but this time I left it alone and it is just fine.
LMT

hankmarx

750cc
I took a hard left into a tree yesterday in my pick up.
I did miss the car that turned left in front of me.
I feel like a real dumbass even tho I don't know what i could have done differently.
Man am I sore. Stuff happens quick, Ya'll be safe out there.

Prayers for you and your wife, Mike.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
A bad example,I just finished washing up from - putting a new stator in my Suzuki - again. The wiring on these stators is very long and when I replaced it I apparently routed it wrong and it fell down and got cut by the chain. The battery started going dead and I put a manual trickle charger on it and cooked all the acid out.. then for some reason I put water in it. And I actually had a bottle of acid on the shelf - my brain just misfired. So then I bought a new battery, but of course the bike continued to die. I cleaned and tightened all connections and even resoldered the bullet connectors on the voltage regulator circuit.. I started training my 17 year old son on the bike during this time and it continued to leave him by the side of the road......had the new battery out one time and it was then I finally found the cut wires behind the battery box...my voltmeter was giving me all the usual crazy readings on the stator indicating it was bad - yet I knew it was brand new!.So I soldered the wires back together but these stators are sensitive and it was cooked...dead.... Back to ebay and yet another new high output stator. I stripped out all the screws so I had to go to the hardware store and pick out 4 different length of metric screws...finally got it back together an hour ago and it is charging its new battery nicely and the headlight is nice and bright. I routed the wire up and strapped it to the frame high.. But its useless.... with the kids away at college there is no one to ride it. ;-(

Last edited: