"see through" Bonneville farme

strokerlmt

That frame still makes me nervous. Dislike!

After taking the lower rails off and after jumping up and down on the back bone with no visible flex I have to agree I didn't like the look either. So I added a 6 oz piece of 1 inch pipe. Now I am done....
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

After taking the lower rails off and after jumping up and down on the back bone with no visible flex I have to agree I didn't like the look either. So I added a 6 oz piece of 1 inch pipe. Now I am done....
LMT

So you live and you learn and you learn to deal with set backs. The reason Triumph has the lower rails come off in front of the exhaust ports IS because IF you weld on your new chopped lower rails to the main frame as I did the frame will not fit on the bike. I had the engine suspended by ropes in the garage and no matter what angle won't go on. So back to the drawing board. I am going to cut off the front rails and design a new single detachable front rail.
So I took out my frustration with the old BRG frame and cut the detachable lower rails and now everything is going back together.
Pictures soon.....I know some are getting bored of this project...apologies.
LMT

strokerlmt

LMT

Ok here is the deal. I welded the chopped front lower rails to the frame and I welded the kick stand to the frame instead of bolting on. Having done that you cannot get the new chopped tracker frame on the bike. So back to the drawing board. Then I took the BRG frame....had 2 beers because I thought I was fucking up a good frame and cut the front frame rails off and the kick stand. Everything is bolted back together and the kick works great and is strong and the short front rails are solid. The garage is a mess...the bike is a mess...pictures tomorrow I hope. BUT bottom line......IMHO I took the lower rails off and I feel very comfortable. BTW the bike looks great. I believe, and don't take my word for it, that they don't do nuttin but hold the centre stand up..
Later,
LMT

JRMSR

Scooter
Frame Dimensions

Double check the frame and steering head measurements. I noticed you didn't use a frame jig, so alignment is crucial. The rotational axis of the steering head can't be off more than .05" or your really going to have an alignment issue. It will also cause the bike to weave and wobble at higher speeds.

Most frames are purposefully stressed and the removal of the lower rear box section on the back bone can cause a slight rotation tweak to the right or left. It's the most important part of the frame. Eyeballing isn't good enough. Make sure you affirm it's straight in relationship to the swingarm spindle.

I wouldn't say anything if I didn't think it warranted closer scrutiny. Once it's togather, it's a lot harder to deal with.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

strokerlmt

Double check the frame and steering head measurements. I noticed you didn't use a frame jig, so alignment is crucial. The rotational axis of the steering head can't be off more than .05" or your really going to have an alignment issue. It will also cause the bike to weave and wobble at higher speeds.

Most frames are purposefully stressed and the removal of the lower rear box section on the back bone can cause a slight rotation tweak to the right or left. It's the most important part of the frame. Eyeballing isn't good enough. Make sure you affirm it's straight in relationship to the swingarm spindle.

I wouldn't say anything if I didn't think it warranted closer scrutiny. Once it's togather, it's a lot harder to deal with.

Cheers

Thx Jeff.....the black frame was mapped and measured by great shop owner in SLO. BUT that frame is hanging in the garage right now because it on't fit with the front chopped rails welded on and I want to ride this weekend. So my stock frame less the lower lower part of the rails is back on. It will be running tonight.
LMT

strokerlmt

Carlos and a bunch of Bonnevilles and Thruxtons will be in town this weekend so I had to put the bike back together. Still need to get some hose and relocate rear fluid reservoir behind the frame and get the air filters back on. But I took her for a run today. Did the ton plus 10 or 15 and she runs true and smooth. Lower rails gone, you can notice the difference in the weight.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5898.jpg
    IMG_5898.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5899.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5905.jpg
    IMG_5905.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

How much weight are we talking about here? Maybe 15 lbs at the bottom of the bike? It's really noticeable?!? Really?

Yes it is noticeable.....you would feel it right away.
I weighed the side covers, the lower rails/bolts/nuts, the bits I cut off the battery box to make it smaller, the wire cut from the shortened harness, the breast plate/bolts/nuts and added the weight saved by the small battery and it was 21 + pounds. I noticed it first when I was rolling the bike in and out of the garage.
LMT

sportyone

Street Tracker
Yes it is noticeable.....you would feel it right away.
I weighed the side covers, the lower rails/bolts/nuts, the bits I cut off the battery box to make it smaller, the wire cut from the shortened harness, the breast plate/bolts/nuts and added the weight saved by the small battery and it was 21 + pounds. I noticed it first when I was rolling the bike in and out of the garage.
LMT

Better you than me man, just hope we don't hear,
when it all let's go on ya @ 100 mph !!

reckon it could be like the shuttle disaster ? :eeek:

strokerlmt

I guess now you'll have to get some pitbull stands. You can't use the bike jack anymore since there's no frame there.

I made a wood square and bolted to the lift. It picks up where the lower rails bolted on and the bottom on the engine. The bike sits pretty as can be on the lift.
LMT

JRMSR

Scooter
Just get a hydraulic lift table from Harbor Freight. That solves the problem.

Cheers

strokerlmt

Just get a hydraulic lift table from Harbor Freight. That solves the problem.

Cheers

thx for the idea......but there are 399 problems with the harbor frt option. I had the 2 X 4's and bolts in the garage so now my small lift works just fine.
LMT

sportyone

Street Tracker
All the street tracker and dirt trackers don't have lower rails.
Do some research.......
LMT

Ah yeah perhaps, but they are specially designed frames, not a chopped about
triumph bonne frame, eh ? :d

it is your bike after all, like I said,

ride on, "til it all let's go on ya @ 100 mph !!

reckon it could be like the shuttle disaster ? " :lol3::lol3::lol3:

rodburner

Rocker
Ah yeah perhaps, but they are specially designed frames, not a chopped about
triumph bonne frame, eh ? :d

it is your bike after all, like I said,

ride on, "til it all let's go on ya @ 100 mph !!

reckon it could be like the shuttle disaster ? " :lol3::lol3::lol3:

:stfu: