New rider first ride over an hour long

Rubicon

Scooter
I am planning on buying a 09 Bonneville early next week from a dealer that's roughly an hour away from home. Am I crazy for wanting to ride the bike home from this dealer? I just took my MSF BRC last weekend and passed and have my endorsement done. Insurance will be handled at the dealer since they are also a Progressive agency and I carry progressive on my jeep. I am feeling confident that I can do the ride, and will plan out the timing of it so I'm not stuck in traffic or heavy congestion. Any advice or encouragement will be helpful.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Depends on if its a hard ride and if you are capable, but no you are not crazy . I got no facts to work with to answer you, but if you have a license and you feel confident, thats probably your answer right there. Good luck and post some pictures when you get here home.

loxpump

Rocker
Not crazy at all, I say go for it. You're licensed, insured and buying one of the easier bikes to ride. Sometimes mine seems to know where she's going without me thinking about it. And what Sal said post some pics.

ggfh

moped
I assume you had to train for your certificate?
So you know to ride a bike.

Just avoid heavy traffic stress and you'll be fine.
Since you ask this question you probably won't be doing wheelies anyway...

koifarm

Hooligan
No problem for sure, just be very careful, avoid heavy traffic by using back roads and enjoy your first ride !

normandy

Street Tracker
Not that I don't trust dealers or anything but I would give the bike a good once over before hitting the streets. It only takes a minute to check :
tire pressure
oil level
axle nuts
gas level-lever not on reserve

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Bonniebret

Rocker
You're not crazy. If you're doubting your confidence then maybe not but obviously you're capable of riding given you passed the tests and got your permit. Go for it and have fun!!!

koifarm

Hooligan
Great advice!

Not that I don't trust dealers or anything but I would give the bike a good once over before hitting the streets. It only takes a minute to check :
tire pressure
oil level
axle nuts
gas level-lever not on reserve

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Plus 10 on the tire pressure, when I picked up my new Bonnie, I asked the salesperson about tire pressure, he seemed a bit insulted that I questioned whether the dealership had checked the tires but I whipped out an air gauge and checked anyway, he was most surprised he was gonna turn me loose on a new bike with 8 pounds short on the front and 10 pounds short on the rear!
Make sure the gas is full and the petcock on the right setting as well, all good advice when getting delivery of a new one, trust no one else, check it yourself!

Eggman66

Scooter
+1 on the tire pressure warning. Nice fresh brand new tires can be slippery too. Take that first few miles REALLY easy. I've heard more than once about the back end of a brand new bike taking a slide just turning out onto the road from the dealership's driveway.

hankmarx

750cc
Do it man! What an adventure! Just as exciting as your first thousand mile trip. I would look at 10 different ways to get home, and then decide on the way. Maybe pick somewhere halfway to stop for a snack or a coffee.
Is this your first bike? Live it up, Brah!

You know we are going to need to see a pic and get a ride report.:headbang2:

AceT100

Rocker
The 2 mile ride home from picking my bike up took over 4 hours and almost 2 tanks of gas...I got...a little sidetracked...

mark66

TT Racer
As the others have said.....go for it. A 1 hour ride is not so bad and remind yourself of all the safety things you learned as you go along. One thing that I still have to remind myself to do is to cancel that turn signal after the turn. Let us know how you make out.

cantilever

Scooter
it's an easy bike to ride, you'll get used to it quickly.

What cold weather gear do you have? Higher speeds for really short times aren't bad. What temps are you looking at during the day?

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Am I crazy for wanting to ride the bike home from this dealer?

Of course you're not crazy! That's why you bought it! And you're also not crazy fro being nervous - I remember when I first rode mine to work I was like "geeze I'm 20 miles away from my house on a motorcycle!!!!!!" It was strangely disconcerting.

Have a blast with your new toy!

Rubicon

Scooter
I do have to get on the expressway for a short stint over the Sunshine Skyway bridge, but if i plan it out i can hit it with barley any traffic.

This is my first bike, so I am really looking forward to actually riding. I will be fully geared, I spent all this week buying everything, jacket, kevlar liners with pads for pants, alpinestars boots, Scorpion Exo 1000 helmet.

koifarm

Hooligan
Atgatt

I do have to get on the expressway for a short stint over the Sunshine Skyway bridge, but if i plan it out i can hit it with barley any traffic.

This is my first bike, so I am really looking forward to actually riding. I will be fully geared, I spent all this week buying everything, jacket, kevlar liners with pads for pants, alpinestars boots, Scorpion Exo 1000 helmet.

Looks like you're good to go on gear...great move! The bridge should be no sweat, and the warnings about slick tires are good....they can be tricky till you get them scuffed up a bit, like everyone says, take it easy and you'll have no problems....carry an air gauge with you and don't let the dealer bluff you into not checking the tires....
Take plenty of Pics, always good to see a new Triumph owners shit eating grin after a ride.....

Rubicon

Scooter
Thanks the bike is used with 1400 miles, but I will make sure to check the tires, T-CLOCS if anyone remembers the MSF course. :)

Looks like tomorrow is going to be the day.

Anyone know off hand what the tire pressure should be on a mag wheel bonnie?