39 years later

champ7fc

Scooter
Pikey, that is a beautiful Commando, I have not ridden her yet, she isn,t registered or insured, in fact I haven't started her yet. I am a member of the Mass and Ct Brit bike clubs and I plan to bring her to all the meets next year. The INOA is having its international rally in the Catskills in July and I will be there.The Commando has mostly every mod done to it that came out during and after it's production history. I took photos during the restoration and as I have time I'll post them and more on the site. Thanks for the Compliments I can not wait to ride her. Craig

champ7fc

Scooter
I started the reconstruction with a frame, seized engine,transmission, subframe, swingarm and some assorted small bits. The rest I bought through suppliers in the US and the UK. I had the engine rebored 20 over and I basically replaced everything in the engine with new parts. The transmission I rebuilt wth the original gears and case but all other parts are new. The wheels are alloy with stainless spokes done by Buchanans out in California. The fuel tank is a hand made aluminun facsimile of the original Fastback tank, I have the original but the ethanol in fuels today destroys the plastic. I have incorporated many mods in this restoration that will make it more reliable. The ignition is electronic and the alternator is a high output made for the Commando. progressive fork springs and a completely replaced dampening system is in the front end. Oil filter cartridge mod, refinished oil pump,late model vernier isolastics and head steady. The list goes on. Attached are some pics. Craig

Attachments

• IMG_2321.jpg
    IMG_2321.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2323.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2325.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2330.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0

mark66

TT Racer
Craig, wonder if you could tell me if you had the engine done here in Ct. I'm thinking of rebuilding the one on my (and my sons) 1970 BSA and looking for someone close by.
Once again great job on the bike. Thx Mark

champ7fc

Scooter
Mark, I had the cylinders bored out at a machine shop here in the Stafford area. He is a friend and does racing engines as a business, the rest of the rebuild was done by me. I used two videos produced by Mik Hemmings in England for the Commando engine and gearbox and I acquired all the tools needed. This is my second Commando, the first was in 1972. I had just bought a Commando Roadster from Freddy Marsh , was home on leave and had an auto pull out in front of me at an intersection. I hit him, the bike was totaled , the gas tank exploded in my face, I went over the front end in flames and the Norton burned. When I got out of the hospital I rebuilt the bike from the frame up. This bike took alot more time and effort as I had to source 80% of the parts and put it together. When you attend next years Brit bike rally at Haddam Neck, look for the Norton as I will be close by and introduce yourself. I flew into Chester airfield alot when I owned my aircraft, it was a very challenging approach on a windy day. Craig

mark66

TT Racer
Craig, thanks for the info. Thats quite an interesting history you have with the commandos. This second one of yours sounds like a great bike. I'm looking forward to seeing it at Haddam Neck next August. My '72 BSA I got back in 1977 from the first owner. Rode it a few years and put it away as I went on to different bikes. My son and I got it going again about 3 years ago, then in '08 we picked up the 1970. Neither of them have had a frame up restoration but their both fun to ride. The last two years we've had them in "the line" at Brit Jam.
Funny you should mention Chester Airport as I've had my own experience with the cross winds there. Not as a pilot but as a passenger. Did not enjoy bouncing from one wheel to the other in my buddies plane. One ride was enough for me.:bug:
I'll find you next summer, can't wait to see the Norton. Mark

Outstanding job on the rebuild Craig and like Mark says, interesting Norton history you have! :bug:

Hope you have an easier relationship with this beauty!

Cheers,

Pikey.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Wow...I absolutely love the Commandos! Someone might shoot me for saying this but give me the sound of one of those Nortons over a Bonnie any day. What a great motorcycle and very nice work on your scoots fellas!

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
love it! once you start her up you will have to put weights on the corners of your mouth to stop you grinning like an idiot all day long...