Sidestand&Neutral switch

T-Rat had a thread about cleaning up the side stand switch, instead of replacing it:

http://www.triumphrat.net/blogs/twins-documentation-library-7/sundry-twin-mod--tweak-items-37/

Very helpful post. But I can't get the T30 torx bit to align with the screws. The post below states that the screws "engage downwards" but not sure what that means. I have only a side stand and there's no room to see underneath to look at the screws. I feel stupid, but need some advice.

Then remove the switch from the underside of the bike with a T30 torx bit held by a small pair of mole grips or a pair of pliers (you could get away with using a 4mm allen key at a push – but be careful not to strip the screw). It’s a bit of a pain getting in at the two screws, as they engage downwards leaving little room for working between the switch and the underside of the engine.

ssjones

750cc
I do that annually, than pack some dielectric grease in the boot before popping it back on, that seems to keep moisture out and the switch functioning correctly.

Very helpful post. But I can't get the T30 torx bit to align with the screws. The post below states that the screws "engage downwards" but not sure what that means. I have only a side stand and there's no room to see underneath to look at the screws. I feel stupid, but need some advice.

Then remove the switch from the underside of the bike with a T30 torx bit held by a small pair of mole grips or a pair of pliers (you could get away with using a 4mm allen key at a push – but be careful not to strip the screw). It’s a bit of a pain getting in at the two screws, as they engage downwards leaving little room for working between the switch and the underside of the engine.

Bonneville09er

Street Tracker
ok, still having problems. jumped the switch and same results. is there also something in the clutch like a neutral safety switch. also, did your bike act like it was gonna start and just click? damn frustrating

mark66

TT Racer
ok, still having problems. jumped the switch and same results. is there also something in the clutch like a neutral safety switch. also, did your bike act like it was gonna start and just click? damn frustrating

Yeah there's a clutch switch in that circuit too. Its located in the clutch lever bracket. So you have to have the clutch lever pulled in which satisfies that switch and then the sidestand switch has to be satisfied. There are some diodes in those circuits also. Not quite sure how they work with the switches but they're in there too. One is tied in with the neutral switch and the other with the clutch and side stand switches.

mark66

TT Racer
Man, sorry, I'm not sure what your up against. I read your post and checked the circuit wiring diagram and could see there's a clutch switch also along with the diodes, neutral and side stand switches. Never had the problem but I would use my multimeter and the manuel and start checking the wiring to see which part is screwing up. I know, not much help.
Dumb question.....is this an EFI bike and is your battery at full charge?

nohawk

Rocker
You can push start the bike with a bad battery. Did you check the voltage? One good cold snap can kill a battery.

whyme

TT Racer
I have a dumb question, and yes I'm lazy for not looking in my manual. You can't start our bikes without being in neutral? Can't just pull the clutch in and start?? Or is mine broken? anyway around it?

mark66

TT Racer
I have a dumb question, and yes I'm lazy for not looking in my manual. You can't start our bikes without being in neutral? Can't just pull the clutch in and start?? Or is mine broken? anyway around it?

Yes, if your in gear you can if your kickstand is up. If your kickstand is down and your in gear it won't turn over.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
you know, i got to check the battery. just figured it had enough to have the light on.

Another thing to try is disconnect the battery and clean both terminals and reconnect. After being stranded and waiting an hour for my kid to bring me the Haynes manual and a couple tools, and another hour checking the sidestand switch, neutral switch, and clutch switch, and the starter solenoid, ask me how I know.

If only I could remember to check that FIRST next time, because this wasn't the first time it happened to me, OR Bonnielass!!

mark66

TT Racer
Mark66...thanks. So I guess my clutch switch is not working?

Whyme.....not necessarily, I think it could still be either one. In order for the starter motor to engage it has to also know the kickstand is up along with the clutch lever pulled in. Its a pain in the ass! You really need an ohm meter and check each switch to make sure their working correctly. It seems a lot of guys are having problems with the kickstand so I'd check that first.

whyme

TT Racer
aaa ha...right, so not in neutral both kickstand down and clutch switch must be working and trans in neutral negates all.

thanks mark66!!

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
In order for the starter motor to engage it has to also know the kickstand is up along with the clutch lever pulled in.

Not true. It will start just fine with the stand down and the clutch out, in neutral. But if it's in gear, it won't start with the stand down, regardless of the clutch.

mark66

TT Racer
Not true. It will start just fine with the stand down and the clutch out, in neutral. But if it's in gear, it won't start with the stand down, regardless of the clutch.

Thats correct BlueJ......thats what we were talking about from earlier posts. In gear you have to have the stand up and the clutch pulled in.

whyme

TT Racer
OK...I get it but I'm not explaining correctly. Anyway, stand up, clutch in, in gear I get nothing unless i pop it up to neutral. I'll have to check out the stand switch first..seems to be the likely suspect.

I always thought that was an odd feature but I figured it was just a Triumph thing since this is my first owned.

Thanks everyone