Larger Headers

I noticed the newer thruxtons have larger diameter headers than my bonneville. They look a lot better to me, so I was wondering if you could get larger diameter headers on the bonne?

Would you not want to because of air flow or back-pressure or something? Just curious as I've never really seen any posts on this.

Craigore

TT Racer
You can put Thruxton headers on your bonneville or get one of those "full systems" such as bub, new D&D, etc.

rodburner

Rocker
Some manufacturers use 1-3/4' head pipes and Raask uses 2" but they are double wall.I don`t know about the new Bonnie`s pipes.The 2" headers I made sucked the life right out of the stock Bonnie motor.

normandy

Street Tracker
Some manufacturers use 1-3/4' head pipes and Raask uses 2" but they are double wall.I don`t know about the new Bonnie`s pipes.The 2" headers I made sucked the life right out of the stock Bonnie motor.

You lost power with the larger pipes ? Would more baffle not equalize the back pressure ?

rodburner

Rocker
I`m sure extensive baffle and muffler tuning,along with lots of experimental rejetting could have made it "right",but mine were just TT pipes and that would have made the system too complicated.I like bottom end and midrange,not dragstrip highend so they didn`t do it for me.Check the various exhaust threads here and elsewhere and it seems larger headpipes [see SpecialtySpares TT pipes] actually hinder power output. Big pipe does look cool though.

I like my Raask headers. No bluing and the kink is gone.

Attachments

• NH and Raask Installed 002.jpg
    NH and Raask Installed 002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • NH and Raask Installed 005.jpg
    NH and Raask Installed 005.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

These are 1.5 to 1.75 and they work just fine......
LMT

When I had the dyno I was speaking with Matt. I have a dominator which I am going to put a 1.75 throat on an try with the 1.75 2 to 1 headers. Should be fun.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
1 3/4 is what you want but the rest of the system has to match .D&D 2into1s are 1 3/4 and nothing will beat them so far as power goes.

Trinorman

Scooter
I have a used set of Raasks, about 3000 or so miles on them, that I am going to be selling, but I haven't found a box to fit them for shipping. Will put them in the Classified section with photos when I have a box and can ship them if anyone is interested..