Vacant Buildings in the area

Kirkus51

Hooligan
After my late lunch with the Cuz and since I had my camera...and since it might be a thinkpiece. I just rode around and took some pics of the places I frequented and are no longer functioning. a bit depressing.
oldwesternSl.jpg

My folks and I used to have money in that building. Now it's being turned into a Funeral home.
deadwamu.jpg

Another one swallowed up and vacant.
deadsonicsheridan1.jpg

A Sonic Burger that was closed and boarded up inside of two days.
DeadSonic72nd.jpg

A second Sonic... same as the 1st one. Gone in two days
deadacehdware.jpg

The ACE hardware I traded at.... Gone.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Wow, that is depressing. Is it a normal cycle of businesses moving on, or because of the economy of the area, or just the economy in general?

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I'm pretty sure the Sonics were franchises that just didn't make a go of it. My area has tons of fast food joints they had to compete with. Same with the ACE hardware place.
The others were banks that were swallowed up by mergers.

I live really close to three shopping centers that are anchored by Supermarkets and there's quite a few vacant commercial properties in each one of them. there's been three or four businesses that have tried to make a go in those centers and have failed. I have to admire the people who put up hard cash to try and start a business. I really feel for those Sonic Burgers cuz they are purpose built.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Yea, it's pretty bad 'round here too. I could show dozens of vacant houses, in fairly nice neighborhoods, that have been empty for 2 years, with 5' tall weeds and vines growing up the sides where the windows used to be. Certainly an unprecedented time for our generation. Real estate, including strip malls, always used to seem like a safe investment.

T-boy

Rocker
In Michigan there's a zillion empty office buildings, closed up businesses...here today, gone tomorrow. However, I still see many new commercial buildings being built--doesn't make much sense. It is depressing.

KingBear

Hooligan
The local shopping malls look like shit. Nice businesses have closed up and moved out, only to be replaced by cheesy little fly-by-night shops that can't even afford proper signs and fixtures (been to Lake Forest lately, BlueJ?). I guess the landlords would rather have the space filled with something, anything, no matter how trashy than have vacancies.

Beaman

Two Stroke
In my hometown a Walmart 30 miles away destroyed all of the stores. It's a small town now w/o: a grocery, hardware, or auto parts store. This was well before the recession, but now is even more worse off. It really sucks watching hard working people that you personally know have to give up everything because the locals can't think beyond the "low prices" from cheap Chinese crap.....Just my $.02.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Wow Beaman...I couldn't agree more. I don't care if I have to pay a little bit more, I will not step one foot inside a Walmart; fuck them. They have gone through and raped towns all across the states that forced hard working people right out of business and what do you have at the end of the day when they snubbed everyone out...crap. I would argue that the shit Walmart pulls does more than just sells a product at a cheap price...they strip out communities. I know my opinion might in the minority on this but that is how I see it and Walmart can kiss my ass before they get any of my money.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I don't trade at WalMart either. There's still enough businesses around here that I don't really have to. The big problem is that in smaller towns WalMart is all there is.

Flaco

750cc
#1 I hate it!
#2 The businesses are raising their prices to cover for the inflated prices of fuel, food, and all necessary consumer consumables, etc etc...
#3 Loss of employees, do to downsizing...
#4 Passing the higher cost on to me and everyone else...
(Many can't afford it any more)
#5 And the bottom line is that I'm down sized at work so it's a trickle down effect spiral that aint going to change for a LONG TIME!
#6 I am thankful I'm still working but took a substantial cut these last few years...
Just glad my house isn't a vacant building at the moment...

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
This is part of the equation that is convenient left out when these mega-giants swoop into a community and blast mine everything in sight...it is a brutal and honest observation Flaco but you are absolutely right. Anyone ever see "The High Cost of Low Prices"? It is enough to make you mad and it is depressing but it is a very good documentary on Walmart. A lot of the sources for the documentary come right from ex-employees from laborers all the way up to high level management sharing the tactics employed. It is brutal...after watching that documentary a couple years ago only confirmed my opinion that Walmart will not get one cent for me...their prices are WAY too high.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
There used to be a practice in the car business called "Bait and Switch" which is illegal. They would advertise a cheap car and when you got there the car would be "sold" and they would steer you into a more expensive model.

Wal Mart does the same thing. they advertise some appliance or TV and it's not exactly what you need so you so shopping for some thing a bit better and it's a whole lot more expensive.

As to the wal-mart problem, people just need to learn about "value". Buying a low quality product for a fantastically low price is not a good deal. A lot of people don't know that.

My wife bought a pair of gardening gloves made in taiwan. They ripped. She bought them again, they wore out after one weekend of weeding and planting. She bought them again.

I said to her, "Why not just buy some quality thin leather gloves, nubuck or something. Something made in the U.S. or Europe."

She said, "These ones were 4 dollars."

And I just looked at her wondering how something so obvious to me could elude another person completely.

They're 4 dollars 3 times over! A quality pair might be $14 but they'd last 5 seasons. They'd be a wiser investment.

And my friends who are constantly buying tech gadgets and videogames. The second you buy them they lose all of their value. It's crazy to me, but I may be wrong?

What can we do besides buy American tools and British motorcycles?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I think arctic asks some good questions and I will throw my two cents into the ring. To start off with, I would like to emphasize the fact that these are OUR communities that we are talking about. These neighborhoods belong to the people that live there...the people that own homes, rent homes, raises their families, work in that location to make a living and so on. These mega-corporations such as Walmart come into our communities to provide a service and in return, they make a profit if that service is something that their customers benefit from. It is not a service if they are able to come in and systematically wipe out any other form of competition; now that turns into a detrimental factor of that community. By the time this happens though, then the choice is usually wiped out and people feel that is all they have to choose from. In my opinion this is simply not acceptable. I think as private citizens, we have to understand this value and from that, make a choice as to what we want in our communities. As the original post points out, these large corporations do not give a shit about the communities they move into. If the economy goes south and a neighborhood finds itself in hard times, then these companies do not waste any time in shutting down their doors and moving on. Then we have these communities that essentially look as if it has been raped and a skyline of abandoned buildings exist. The fact is that local business would not do that because like you and I, that neighborhood belongs to them as well. There is a value when the owner of the hardware store is also the person that lives down the block from you. When you have this, then you do not have a business owner whose intention is to suck a neighborhood for every penny it can but rather someone in business that looks to provide a service that benefits both themselves and their community they have invested in.

I am 42 and I remember as a child my old man getting really pissed off as when these corporations were first making their move into a lot of these communities across the country. Looking back now, what is missing now in many of our neighborhoods is the community aspect. I remember running down to the local deli as a child and getting some bread and milk, or something that mom might of forgotten about for dinner and needed badly. Joe, the owner of the deli, knew me, my mother and father and all of the family. His son played on the pop warner team with me and would always get what I was sent for, put in a bag and put it on my mom's tab and then would tell me to be careful going home. If the weather was looking bad or if it was getting late, then he would tell the guy working for him to watch the counter as he took me home. It seemed like Joe at times ran more of a taxi service for his customer's children than he did sell products. Would we see that take place in a Walmart? Would anyone even feel comfortable enough to send their child into a Walmart by themselves? Times have changed of course but their was crime when I was growing up...the 70's was a bad time in NY for crime. But the people in the neighborhood collectively chose to make it better because it benefited themselves, their family, their property values, and the rest of the community in general. This is the component that we have to get back to in my opinion.

I assume that a lot of people on this thread perhaps bought a Triumph because of the companies history and that this is a motorcycle that is unique; a great product and an alternative to the super power builders? That was a factor in my decision. That same attitude should be brought with us when we go to buy a pair of gardening gloves or a loaf of bread. Buy that product from the person that has invested into your community and not to someone that just looks at your community as a fiscal investment. Lastly, I also believe we need the help from our elected representatives, preferably at the local level starting off with. It has gotten to the point that the private citizen is out gunned and overwhelmed and it is a battle now. The government went after Bill Gates a few years ago because Microsoft was employing monopolizing tactics within the market and this in turn did help Apple re-establish. Walmart is utilizing the same tactics and they are tactics of gaining a monopoly but now the monopoly is attempting to get established right in your community. This is not only unacceptable but it is un-American. It is time for government to accept this and not hide from it. If they don't, then vote out the schmuck that refuses to take this issue on and vote in the individual that will.

I would also like to add that it does not have to be this way. I saw Walmart operate in Great Britain when I was stationed there under the name of ASDA. They changed their name because of negative name recognition but what is more interesting though, the British government was a lot more active that what America has done. ASDA operated in GB with much stricter regulations and those regulations look to protect the market so that other enterprises have a fair chance in setting up a competitive service as well. And this has worked; ASDA does not go in and strip mine a local community like Walmart does in America. This held true in Germany as well with ASDA. So it does not have to be automatic that these corporations can swoop in and blaze a path wherever they choose and then leave it baron and dead behind it when they are done. So you guys need a pair of gloves, loaf of bread, a pair of socks....whatever; just remember that value is something more than just the price tag. What is that company doing for your community? Walmart might be the big guy but fuck them...what they are doing is wrong and these are our neighborhoods, not theirs.

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
Say what you want about San Francisco and the liberal politics of the Bay Area, but you won't find a Walmart within the the city limits of SF. There is a "no big-box" policy which aims to keep the mom and pops in business.

(For the same reason, you won't find a Starbucks in the North Beach area, which has been a hub of the Italian style espresso cafe for decades.)

A few years ago I built a deck in my backyard. It took forever to gather supplies and materials from 15 different locations. Lumber here, hardware there, bannisters over there, drill bit over here. It would have been easier to drive to the next county where Lowe's and Home Depot are. I think convenience is over rated.

Rich

moped
To get back to the Vacant buildings part of this thread, hmmm, fear not, in 10 years it will be WalMart stores creating the vacant buildings. It's corporate America, no need for government intervention. They are already taking a beating in my area. Lots of competition for cheap shit. And the Chinese get richer. What a concept! :cheers:

Don't believe me? What if I told you 20 years ago GM would go tits up, or need a bailout? Crazy huh?

Rich