Lithium-ion battery (SKYRICH HJTX12-FP-SI) for Bonneville

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
After using the original YUASA battery (YTX12-BS) for my Bonneville (2006 carb model) for at least 5 years, I have replaced it with one of Lithium ion battery, SKYRICH HJTX12-FP-SI. In addition to its environmental-friendly nature, the apparent advantage of the Lithium ion battery over traditional lead-acid battery is its light weight. For example, the SKYRICH battery weighs 0.9kg, whereas the YUASA battery weighs 4.2kg. Also, several Lithium ion batteries offer much smaller sizes and, because of this, installing the Lithium ion battery in the battery box requires spacers for stability. In this respect, SKYRICH battery is made with the same dimension (size: H131 x W87 x D150mm, 0.9kg)as YUASA and thus the installing is easy (i.e., no spacers are needed). I have been using SKYRICH for about 9 months including the winter seasons with no apparent problems.

LI1.jpg

20131130a.jpg

20131130b.jpg

It should be noted that, for EFI model, it seems that the batterry comes in contact with “computer unit” near the battery box (according to several EFI-Bonneville users), although I do not know what the detailed problems are.

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Lithium Ion is the way to go. I just bought an antigravity 12 cell battery for my build. Looking forward to see how it turns out and lasts. Have heard nothing but good things. I've never heard or seen skyrich batteries in the states. The weight is by far my favorite bit. I've lightened my thruxton considerably from the 512lbs wet

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
Texas94fs-san,
It has been said that the Lithium ion battery has several disadvantages over the conventional battery. One of them is the reduced performance at extremely cold weather (below zero), although I have not experienced such a problem in winter. And, yes! It’s light weight is amazing! I felt like nothing is inside when opening the box of the product.

Roger

Street Tracker
One of them is the reduced performance at extremely cold weather (below zero), although I have not experienced such a problem in winter.

What you said roadmanbo. It gets cold here fast in the fall and I have not heard good things about how the cold affects these batteries. If I was in a warmer climate, I would not hesitate to use one of these. I will stick with my Yuasa.

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
Roger-san,
Yes, I respect your thoughts, as the lead battery has long-time history and very high reliability. Well, the new technology may not be perfect at its early stage of development, but someone must try for continued improvement, I guess.